Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

New irons?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    New irons?
    And 3 wood!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Looks good, do you normally fade the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by davidw88 View Post
    Looks good, do you normally fade the ball?
    Thanks David. Yeah, stock shot is a fade with the irons cos I come over the top a little. I'm working on fixing this.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

BluuBluu, there is a micro move at the top of your backswing and start of the downswing that is missing in your action that can cause an open clubface at impact. The hands need to twist away from the target during transition. This move closes the clubface and drops the clubhead behind the hands. It is one of the secrets that never seems to get mentioned.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by razaar View Post
    BluuBluu, there is a micro move at the top of your backswing and start of the downswing that is missing in your action that can cause an open clubface at impact. The hands need to twist away from the target during transition. This move closes the clubface and drops the clubhead behind the hands. It is one of the secrets that never seems to get mentioned.
    Don't suppose you have a youtube example of this Ray?

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Don't suppose you have a youtube example of this Ray?
    Jordan Spieth, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Bubba, Matsujama, + 100+ other tour swings on the tube. It is what flattens the shaft in transition. I recall Moe Norman mentioning it in one of his vids.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

All my moves are micro razar as I'm not very tall.....

Jordan Spieth, Tiger, Rory, DJ, Bubba, Matsujama, + 100+ other tour swings on the tube. It is what flattens the shaft in transition. I recall Moe Norman mentioning it in one of his vids.
    I figured it would be a common thing, but do you know if there is any that specifically analyse it?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I figured it would be a common thing, but do you know if there is any that specifically analyse it?
    Crossfield has a number of videos on it - he usually refers to it in anti slice vids.

Here is one I found with a quick search.

https://youtu.be/QD5dfrYF-VU

In others he said that he tells clients to feel like they rev their wrists slightly at the top of the backswing

That's one of the things I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    That's one of the things I'm working on.
    It is something that was covered in the early instruction books (circa 1930's) but doesn't get a mention after that in all the books that I have read. Possibly it was an essential with wooden shafts and got overlooked when steel shafts came on the scene??

I am presuming Ray is referring to the bowing of the lead wrist at the top, like Dustin Johnson for instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I am presuming Ray is referring to the bowing of the lead wrist at the top, like Dustin Johnson for instance?
    Dave the micro move I am referring to does slightly bow the left wrist, although DJ has the strength and flexibility to retain a bowed wrist he established by supinating the left forearm during the takeaway. The bowed wrist in transition is really early supinating of the left forearm at the start of the downswing.

Dave the micro move I am referring to does slightly bow the left wrist, although DJ has the strength and flexibility to retain a bowed wrist he established by supinating the left forearm during the takeaway. The bowed wrist in transition is really early supinating of the left forearm at the start of the downswing.
    Ray is there a simple way to do this???

Have a read of post #534 in the thread full swingfeels dealing with the respective arm movements in the takeaway. The left forearm supinates and the right forearm pronates during the back swing and maintains this same rotation during the downswing, which reverses on the opposite side of the swing. There is no easy way except repetition. It gets easier after awhile and starts to feel natural.
    Last edited by razaar; 9th August 2015 at 08:27 AM.

Why would you want to?

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Why would you want to?
    I don't know what it is to do it. I was just asking if there was a simple way to do it.

I don't know what it is to do it. I was just asking if there was a simple way to do it.
    Then why ask about something you don't know about and confuse the issue.

Rabbit ears mean anything to you???

Don't think so Ray.

Don't think so Ray.
    Don't think so what, Anthony? Moe or the tour players? Or early supinating of the left forearm, or you just don't think so?

Your comment about what flattens the shaft in transition.

The micro move that both you and Crossfield advocate is just plain wrong. Not a little bit right, not a lot right. It is just plain wrong. You would NEVER and I repeat never flatten the clubshaft in the transition with the hands.

Your comment about what flattens the shaft in transition.

The micro move that both you and Crossfield advocate is just plain wrong. Not a little bit right, not a lot right. It is just plain wrong. You would NEVER and I repeat never flatten the clubshaft in the transition with the hands.
    I agree. Did you read hands into my posts? But that doesn't mean that a player can't use his hands in transition to flatten the shaft. After all the hands are holding the club and relaying sensations back to the brain.
    The term great hands refers to players whose feel is in the hands.
    Golfers who start the downswing with their right hand would benefit by being shown what the right hand should do in transition and what the feeling is in both hands and wrists. It is how most of us learn new concepts and introduce new movements into our swing. Crossfield is only saying it another way.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I had a few lessons with Brad Hughes last year. He was big on the shaft flattening during transition OR first half of the DS, saying it was one of the main keys to great ball striking. His exact words were something like "around the mid point during the downswing the shaft must be flat and point above the ball". I know what this looks like as lines drawn on my DTL swing video but we didnt discuss how you were supposed to achieve it (ie actively with the hands at (or after) transition). Virge why are you so anti this? Is it the same thing or something different?
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

I agree. Did you read hands into my posts? But that doesn't mean that a player can't use his hands in transition to flatten the shaft. After all the hands are holding the club and relaying sensations back to the brain.
    The term great hands refers to players whose feel is in the hands.
    Golfers who start the downswing with their right hand would benefit by being shown what the right hand should do in transition and what the feeling is in both hands and wrists. It is how most of us learn new concepts and introduce new movements into our swing. Crossfield is only saying it another way.
    Why would a player use their hands to flatten the shaft ? Think of where your right shoulder is on the top of the backswing... how are you going to get it any more inside than it is at that point... especially with an amateur ?
    The term Great Hands for mine is a person who can feel that the club is in the wrong place on the way down and save the shot from being an utter disaster.
    and again . . . Why would anyone start the downswing with the right hand ?

All of your statements like on the nutter thread with gotitatlast is all in singularity. The right hand should start this whilst the left hip should do this and then you should feel this whilst rotating that. FFS, can you make it any more complex.

All you have to do is teach someone to uncock and roll the left wrist through impact and let them build a swing pattern around it. If the left wrist is bent, ok, if it is bowed, still ok. you can play off low numbers with each. (chipping may be an issue without a lot of practice though)

Quote Originally Posted by Scifisicko View Post
    I had a few lessons with Brad Hughes last year. He was big on the shaft flattening during transition OR first half of the DS, saying it was one of the main keys to great ball striking. His exact words were something like "around the mid point during the downswing the shaft must be flat and point above the ball". I know what this looks like as lines drawn on my DTL swing video but we didnt discuss how you were supposed to achieve it (ie actively with the hands at (or after) transition). Virge why are you so anti this? Is it the same thing or something different?
    All the Hogan guys are very big on this, they seem to love it more than others. Some of them even flatten the lies on their clubs even when not required.

Basically, the shaft should flatten during the transition, but it has nothing to do with arms or hands, they are just holding the club. It is what you do with the lower half and the sequence of movement during the transition and downswing that flattens the shaft and brings it from the inside.

Trying to do it with your hands is just retarded.

Thread Information