Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    "Except osteoporosis"
    Unknown

Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist
    But you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Vines comp still continued. They indicated that there maybe casual water while the sprinklers have been used.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Right I am a few beers deep after losing a lot of fluid there.

Goughy the coffee case that I think you are referring to the coffee was mind bogglingly hot. More than anyone could expect, hence negligence.

To anyone that thinks a golf course could be held liable for running a comp in hot weather and someone dying. Maybe. But I think everyone fundamentally misunderstands what the CLA does, the tort of negligence and what a duty of care extends to. Our legal system has been born from the same principles that everyone says we used abide by. You can cherry pick exceptional judgements, usually ignoring what makes them exceptional, and say look! Look here who litigious we have become, how little common sense we exhibit. Occasionally bad decisions happen, they happened centuries ago to. I know when I would rather be living for an incalculable number of reasons.

Golf tomorrow can't be worse than today can it?

Blog Entries

PS check yo self before yo wreck yo self.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Good advice mate, guys on here should take that onbaord.

Cause bitches like you is bad for my healf

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Right I am a few beers deep after losing a lot of fluid there.

Goughy the coffee case that I think you are referring to the coffee was mind bogglingly hot. More than anyone could expect, hence negligence.

To anyone that thinks a golf course could be held liable for running a comp in hot weather and someone dying. Maybe. But I think everyone fundamentally misunderstands what the CLA does, the tort of negligence and what a duty of care extends to. Our legal system has been born from the same principles that everyone says we used abide by. You can cherry pick exceptional judgements, usually ignoring what makes them exceptional, and say look! Look here who litigious we have become, how little common sense we exhibit. Occasionally bad decisions happen, they happened centuries ago to. I know when I would rather be living for an incalculable number of reasons.

Golf tomorrow can't be worse than today can it?
    Typical Lawyer's view of things! That was the case made, but it seems that it was very contentious as to whether that was actually the case. I will tell you one thing, if someone sold me coffee that was 60 C as the Litigant's Lawyer contended, it would go straight back. If it was brewed coffee, which I assume was the case here, it would be no more than lukewarm once you added Milk/Cream. Baristas have told me the target temperature of a finished Milk Expresso is 68 - 70 C, and non milked Expresso is normally in the same heat range as McDonald's Coffee was in this case i.e. 82 - 85 C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants
    Last edited by Daves; 12th January 2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I'm not sure having a course open for play necessarily implies a duty of care. But if they're running an organized competition and they've been informed the conditions are hazardous, that may bring duty of care any negligence into play. They'd need to get everyone to sign a waiver/consent form. If some old boy plays in a comp in mid-40s temps and goes into renal failure without being fully informed of the risks they'd be in trouble.
    I don't agree, you get out of your car, it's hot, you decide to play, that's your call. If it's hot YOU should already be informed because your sweating between the car and the pro shop. You don't need someone to tell you it's fn hot. Common sense is apparently extinct these days if not outlawed. I understand if there is lightning, cyclonic conditions, large scale flooding but for heat alone the choice should be the golfers.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I agree... fair warning should be sufficient surely. The problem with saying "its too hot" is ... what exactly is too hot? Who decides? As was mentioned earlier 35 with ridiculous humidity might be worse than a dry 42 degrees. Plus a forecast is fairly generic to the region and not uniform. Breeze comes into play and a myriad of other factors.

Ultimately if the course posts a warning at the pro shop that conditions are expected to be extreme and to take caution that should be plenty.

39 forecast for Canberra Weds, I'm taking my only Weds of the year off to play in the pro comp, if the cancel due to the fact it might be too hot for some I'll be pretty pissed!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    As was mentioned earlier 35 with ridiculous humidity might be worse than a dry 42 degrees.
    This is it in a nutshell.

Back in 2008 I was staying on the Mornington Peninsula. Had a game lined up with Flowergirl (god bless her) at Rosebud. The forecast leading up to the day said it was going to be hot. 44° was predicted and FG pulled the pin saying it was going to be too hot for her.

I played that day anyway at Devilbend. It certainly was 44° but compared to a stinking humid FNQ 35° it was a walk in the park.

44° dry is nothing compared to what we play in up here.

Senior Member Major Winner

So true Mike. Give me 40+ in southwest WA over 30+ in the Kimberlies during wet season.

I think some of the clubs are using the Golf WA severe weather policy as their guide. Over 42 in that policy is suspend play, but that's for Golf WA events
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

39 round Belco is ok buzz. Lots of shade on the back 9.

I played in 44 in Leeton. That was seriously ****ed and my playing partner quit after nine with heatstroke.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    39 round Belco is ok buzz. Lots of shade on the back 9.
    Agreed ... and I'm off at 7:22 so should avoid the worst of it as well

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I am more worried about my health on Wednesday as I drink my bodyweight in beer at the PM's XI on Tuesday.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I will tell you one thing, if someone sold me coffee that was 60 C as the Litigant's Lawyer contended, it would go straight back. If it was brewed coffee, which I assume was the case here, it would be no more than lukewarm once you added Milk/Cream. Baristas have told me the target temperature of a finished Milk Expresso is 68 - 70 C, and non milked Expresso is normally in the same heat range as McDonald's Coffee was in this case i.e. 82 - 85 C.
    70s sounds about right but I can't quite remember, long time since I was on the coffee machine. But we used to get the busloads of pensioners every fortnight, and they'd bring it back if it was under 90 degrees saying it was too cold as they couldn't feel the heat!
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Afternoon cancelled here tomorrow going to be 42 degrees playing at 8am so should miss most of the heat. As said above dry heat is fine I dunno how you guys handle high humidity.

Do the pro's cancel a tournament because its too hot???

Everyone here in the Nations Capital complain in July that "it's too cold, I cant wait for Summer"
    Then as soon as it warms up "its too hot, I need A/C"

I do not mind playing in the heat, lots of hydration, sun screen, a hat and stand in the shade on the tee's. Would rather play in 40 deg that -7deg
    We live in Australia, its not called the "Sunburnt Country" for nothing, stop complaining, do the right thing by your body and all is well...

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

FYI. Just read a tweet the Aussie Amateur was suspended with the heat policy in effect. Seems it happens elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/GolfAust/status/423279081766277120

6.30am tee off for the chicken run, done and dusted for work at 9

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Tennis players - hardcore
    Golfers - sooks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Tennis players* - hardcore
    Golfers - sooks
    *except for Tomic

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Tennis players - hardcore
    Golfers - sooks
    I agree AndyP

A lot of people here need to go to Bunnings and get some concrete, just a spoonful will do………….

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

We played today, 42 degrees, It wasn't too bad but it was hot enough to dry a shirt soaked under a tap in 2 holes. 37 started, 10 pulled out after 9....wimps!
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by monsta65 View Post
    Do the pro's cancel a tournament because its too hot???

Everyone here in the Nations Capital complain in July that "it's too cold, I cant wait for Summer"
    Then as soon as it warms up "its too hot, I need A/C"

I do not mind playing in the heat, lots of hydration, sun screen, a hat and stand in the shade on the tee's. Would rather play in 40 deg that -7deg
    We live in Australia, its not called the "Sunburnt Country" for nothing, stop complaining, do the right thing by your body and all is well...
    Your skin is like tanned leather so I'm not surprised it doesnt bother you

But I agree with you, to a point. Plenty of sunscreen, plenty of water, shade wherever possible, shouldn't be a problem - unless it is stupidly humid then it's not too bad. Canberra's heat is dry, what is worst about it is the hot wind. The breeze here tends to be cooling. I've played in some pretty hot temps at Dubbo as well back in the day, it gets fairly toasty out there....
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Thread Information