Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

it comes back to duty of care. Rightly or wrongly, clubs and business' need to err on the side of caution and protect the idiots who may hurt themselves in such conditions.
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Complete nonsense. There has never been a day yet where the temperature has been extreme without warning. People need to take a bit of personal responsibility.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It would be interesting to see if this was insurance based or not. It would seem strange to close it if it wasn't. It's easy to say people should take responsibility for themselves, but they don't any more. They look to blame anyone or everyone bar themselves these days.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

They haven't cancelled due to heat, they have cancelled due to predicted heat, which is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    It would be interesting to see if this was insurance based or not. It would seem strange to close it if it wasn't. It's easy to say people should take responsibility for themselves, but they don't any more. They look to blame anyone or everyone bar themselves these days.
    For sure. My experience tells me that there will always be a certain few that see playing in extreme weather (hot/cold/wet) as some kind of weird badge of honour.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    It won't be too bad, I'm down by the river. As everyone says it is the humidity that really kills you. The worst day (aside from a post Australia Day game which I discount) the worse day I ever experienced was on an oval down in a swampy area about 36 and 70% humidity. Mmm cramp.
    The hottest day of cricket I ever played was back in the early 1990s at a place in western NSW called Tilpa (literally the 'back'o'Bourke'). It was 47 degrees in the shade, but was a surprisingly fun day. The field was a clay-pan that featured NO grass at all and gently sloped away from the pitch. Any ball that beat the fielders would just run away for four. Running between the wickets was non-existent, as were bowling run-ups.

However, worst day of cricket was a rep-game at Coffs Harbour. 38 degrees but with what felt like 100% humidity and no wind. Just awful and everyone included the umpires and scorers (no shade anywhere) struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    For sure. My experience tells me that there will always be a certain few that see playing in extreme weather (hot/cold/wet) as some kind of weird badge of honour.
    I used to when I was playing regularly. But when you don't get to play much you don't wanna waste that rare opportunity on a crap day outside.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

I used to when I was playing regularly. But when you don't get to play much you don't wanna waste that rare opportunity on a crap day outside.
    There is a difference between that and the knob who would play most days and then walk into the pro shop with his chest puffed out and say "it isn't that bad" loud enough for everyone to hear him.
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Major Winner

Like my dad said when he was working, it's never too hot or it never rains on a golf course.

Since he retired suddenly it does rain and can get too hot.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Fact or opinion?

Blog Entries

'That which does not kill us makes us stronger' - Friedrich Nietzsche

'Or it could **** you up for the rest of your life' - Dotty
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Pathetic. No wonder society has become so weak.
    This is not that far removed from councils closing beaches because of the heat and sun cancer risk on certain days.
    I reckon it has nothing to do with insurance. I played in 40 degrees a couple of weeks back. My choice. If you're over 70, under 15, fat, been on the drink the night before, then you shouldn't. Use a bit of common sense.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I am pretty sure there is nothing that says a golf course has such as duty of care.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I wouldn't think so either. Probably down to lack of numbers to make it worthwhile or someone making the call cause he didn't want to play in the heat.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I am pretty sure there is nothing that says a golf course has such as duty of care.
    Maybe under common law, but insurance companies push that line all the time. You can't do any volunteer work at our club unless you have completed a 2 hour safety induction course, because the club insurer introduced the requirement. And the club recently had to paint red warning lines on a number of small bridges, to warn cart drivers where the edges are.

Fact or opinion?
    Looking at the litigious nature of the world today; if your coffee's too hot sue; I'll call fact on this one.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

From our booking sheet -

Sat 11/01/14 CLOSED MensMorning
    Competition Cancelled As a duty of care for both members and the course, due to extreme weather conditions

Both the morning and arvo sheets still show about half the field still in around 70 odd each. Plenty of numbers to still run a comp
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Bergs u think maybe they are hoping to protect the greens given the Summer Cup (better not cancel that!) is tomorrow and then you guys have a big jnr comp on Monday as well?

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    Bergs u think maybe they are hoping to protect the greens given the Summer Cup (better not cancel that!) is tomorrow and then you guys have a big jnr comp on Monday as well?
    Yeah that could be a viable argument I.e. Don't mow the greens today to reduce the heat stress. I wasn't playing anyway just found it an interesting call.

Yeah certainly is.
    MG have kept comp open but put out note saying to think about their health before playing and take appropriate care if playing.

I reckon it will be the fact of a big day for them tomo and Monday. They will probably just he doing care&maint there today.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    The decision by the club may have some element of "Inusrance" in it, but there is no Insurer, Insurance Broker or adviser in Australia that can tell a club (or any other business what they can and cannot do in running their business or day to day to operations. If they do, they are in breach of 3 different codes and they should be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Maybe under common law, but insurance companies push that line all the time. You can't do any volunteer work at our club unless you have completed a 2 hour safety induction course, because the club insurer introduced the requirement. And the club recently had to paint red warning lines on a number of small bridges, to warn cart drivers where the edges are.
    I highlighted that small part because again, an Insurer cannot make this a 'requirement'. That statement is either because
    A) The club received this advise from a Risk assessment or Risk advisor suggesting that it wold be beneficial (and for many industries it is now a legal requirement that business' conduct these) or;
    B) The bloke who has been saying this was far to lazy to explain it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Pathetic. No wonder society has become so weak.
    This is not that far removed from councils closing beaches because of the heat and sun cancer risk on certain days.
    I reckon it has nothing to do with insurance. I played in 40 degrees a couple of weeks back. My choice. If you're over 70, under 15, fat, been on the drink the night before, then you shouldn't. Use a bit of common sense.
    Everyone has heard this saying before - common sense, isn't all that common.

Surely with your background you could recognise that they do? By running the club, providing the course and administering the competition, the club has a duty of care to ensure that those participating do so in as safe an environment as possible.

Looking at the litigious nature of the world today; if your coffee's too hot sue; I'll call fact on this one.
    We are in Australia - not America.

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    Yeah certainly is.
    MG have kept comp open but put out note saying to think about their health before playing and take appropriate care if playing.

I reckon it will be the fact of a big day for them tomo and Monday. They will probably just he doing care&maint there today.
    This is really all they would need to do (and perhaps have the blokes in the pro-shop verbally saying the same).
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

I'm not sure having a course open for play necessarily implies a duty of care. But if they're running an organized competition and they've been informed the conditions are hazardous, that may bring duty of care any negligence into play. They'd need to get everyone to sign a waiver/consent form. If some old boy plays in a comp in mid-40s temps and goes into renal failure without being fully informed of the risks they'd be in trouble.

Good call

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    'That which does not kill us makes us stronger' - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Except osteoporosis"
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    "Except osteoporosis"Unknown
    Haha
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Thread Information