Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amanda's swing

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Nice... would be even better if you can stay behind the ball a little bit longer

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

yeah - working on that atm.

Amanda,

I know you are still working with a coach, so take this with a grain of salt.

Your backswing looks OK, although you have a large shift away from the target. However, you are leading the downswing with the upper body (ie. lunging). It is commonly taught that you should start the downswing with the lower body. Some describe it as a "bump" of the hips to the left (ie. towards the target).

Have a look at the following pics. The first one is of you during the downswing and the second is of Matt. Can you see the difference in the shape? Your upper body is leaning towards the target whereas Matt's is leaning away from the target. You need to have this spine lean away from the target if you are going to approach the ball from the inside. Gary Edwin is big on setting up this spine angle at address and keeping it throughout the swing. Not everyone swings that way, but all good players have this "leaning away from the target" look coming into impact. You might want to take a look at Edwin's VCD to get some ideas.

What I suggest is doing some slow motion practice swings and at the top of the backswing, before you do anything else, bump the left hip and the left knee towards the target. You should feel your hands and the right shoulder dropping as you do this. The feels like it's staying behind more instead of lunging towards the target. Good luck.

You should be right now Amanda... Coach Chopper is here to help.....

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You need to have this spine lean away from the target if you are going to approach the ball from the inside.
    Mandy check the swing pics i posted the other day - the last one really shows where you need to be in respect of the spine angle

I might not go see Jono for open heart surgery, but i can guarantee he is dead right on this point.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

yeah - problem is trying to keep the bump small - I try and bump but overly flexible hips means it just starts to spin out when I'm at normal speed.

Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    yeah - problem is trying to keep the bump small - I try and bump but overly flexible hips means it just starts to spin out when I'm at normal speed.

Any tips?
    Amanda, I think you are confusing the "bump" (lateral motion) with the turning motion (rotary action) of the hips.  Initially, you need to feel that the bump is large.  (always exaggerate things when you are making swing changes) By shifting the hips towards the target, you are able to keep the head behind the ball more, and you'll get the spine angle away from the target that all good players have coming into impact.

The initial bump of the hips will actually PREVENT your hips from spinning out too early.  Because your hips get stuck and you lunge with the upper body, you actually encourage your body to turn too early towards the target, leaving you prone to the over the top move.  The initial hip bump with enable your right shoulder and hands to move down and under (coming from inside), instead of out and around (over the top).

The last thing I want to say to you is that you should look a bit more like Blakey, but have a look at the last photo in his swing sequence.

See how his left knee and left hip is over his left foot?  See also his spine angle away from the target and his head behind the ball.  Something you can try to emulate.  It's something I'm working on at the moment as well.

Compare Blakey's position to yours.

See the difference? Notice how your right shoulder is high whereas Blakey's right shoulder has moved down? Your hips have actually "spun out" more because you are coming "around" too much.

I'd better stop here before Trung accuses me of kissing Blakey's ar$e ...    

Jono, give Amanda a copy of the Gary Edwin VCD ..... it'll help her with the "bump"
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    Jono, give Amanda a copy of the Gary Edwin VCD ..... it'll help her with the "bump"  
    Another Ozgolfer has my copy at the moment, but I'll pass it onto Amanda once I get it back.

IMHO the golfer should not have to consciously do this 'bump', should happen naturally by getting into the right position at the top, and starting downswing with right shoulder pushing down. there si nothing else your left hip can do but 'bump'

I cant see the video but what Mandy is probably doing what almost every golfer does inlcuding me, getting into a flat position at the top, arms seperated from the body, and coming down on the inside. to compensate the golfer spins out and hits off the dreaded back foot

Best thing for ya mandy is work on your address position first. Here is a good drill on how to get the spine angle right and where you should be at the top.
    http://www.confidentgolf.com.au/drill1.htm
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

ahhh - right shoulder goes down - that I didn't know.

I'll print out those pics and take them to my lesson on Tuesday.

Thanks all

Thanks for the pic Jono - took a copy to my lesson and she also took some video.

Got a good drill and a new feeling to learn to get my shoulders into the right position.

Also - I was told to ignore anything about a hip bump - women have different shaped hips & they have a lot more flexibility - so thinking about bumping the hip actually causes something very different in a female golf swing. Instead I have to think about my knee - yes it sounds strange - but it works!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

women have different shaped hips & they have a lot more flexibility
    You'd think that Jono would know this, wouldn't you?

Good work on checking back with your pro, mandy. How often are you having lessons?

But Jono wouldn't necessarily know how physiology impacts the golf swing.

Having lessons every 2 months - our lesson today went really well - she said that the swing is looking nice and consistent - just this little thing with the shoulders. Even without that, she said that it's still definitely good enough to get my handicap down. But to get to 8, it's a necessary change.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I still expect better from Jono. How can I ever take anything he says seriously again?

amanda, were you having lessons with more frequency when you first started? Could you please give us a rundown on your lesson structure. (Couldn't find it in a search if you have already mentioned it)

I think for men's golf - he can be taken perfectly seriously (unless he's talking about how he can't hit his newest driver well - just after it's sailed 250m+)

Here was my lesson structure (this started 4 yrs ago when I took up golf):

First 8 months - private lesson once every 4-5 weeks

9 months to 18 months - private lesson once every 2-3 months

18 months to 2 yrs - no lessons - just working things out on my own (a bad idea)

2yrs to the present - it was pretty haphazard. I switched coaches to Dennise Hutton 2 yrs ago - went 2 times in 6 months, then no lessons for 6 months. Around August 05, went back for another lesson. Then a small ladies clinic in October with Dennise (more about learning the best way to practice than an actual golf lesson). No lessons since then but after going to a whole-day seminar, I'm back on track and motivated - hence the lesson today and there is one scheduled for every 2 months for the rest of this year.

My swing is starting to look good, once that's really bedded down, I want to start working on things like versatility out of bunkers. Right now, I only have 1 type of shot to play out of the bunker.

Dennise's lessons are about learning the right feeling of a good golf swing. You get to see some video footage but you'll hit very few golf balls. We do a lot of work in the mirror - so I can get a mental picture of what my body should be doing. Makes it a bit easier to physically make my body do the right thing if I can picture it in my mind beforehand. I think we hit only 15 golf balls in a 30 minute lesson (which is fine by me).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    I still expect better from Jono. How can I ever take anything he says seriously again?
    Mate, you are beginning to sound like my ex. One day she said to me "I would have thought doctors would be good in bed". (insert rolling eyes here)

Amanda, Denise is a well respected pro, so I don't doubt what she says, but take another video in a couple of weeks. See if you can spot the changes. What I've personally found is that after making the changes advised by the pro, I looked exactly the same on video the next time. So I really had to overdo it to get the changes seen on camera.

Her advice about the knee is a good one. I can see you have your left knee "knocked in" and you keep it there during the downswing. The left knee should ideally start separating from the right knee at the start of the downswing. This is closely followed by the bump of the hips towards the target. If you get the bump of the left hip naturally, fine.

Anyway, keep us updated with your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Mate, you are beginning to sound like my ex. One day she said to me "I would have thought doctors would be good in bed". (insert rolling eyes here)
    Too much information!

Too much information!
    Oops ...

That was just a made up story, Amanda ... you know ... just to prove a point ... uhhhh .... uhmmm ... I'm outa here.

Thread Information