Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default The Uncivil War Pt II - Fri 7th Feb '14 - RM West

Well, we are exactly 18 days from teeing it up and duking it out again for the Uncivil War. If you don't know already this is being played on the prestigious turf of Royal Melbourne's West course, the nations number 1 sporting complex.

Groupings/ match-ups

Confederate Result Result Union
    Group 1 - 1:30pm
    wbennett (8 ) 1up AndyP (9)
    Simmsy (10) SQ SQ Peppas (17)
    4BBB 1up
    Group 2 -
    Spanner039 (10) 7/5 Marto65 (8 )
    Larrylong (18 ) SQ SQ NK (10)
    4BBB 3/2
    Group 3 -
    Bruce (13) 2up Haysey (11)
    Shadesy (11) 1up Hux (13)
    4BBB 4/3
    Group 4 -
    BenM (14) 4/3 Shazza_rs (22)
    GK (14) 6/5 Gammon (14)
    4BBB 6/5
    Group 5 -
    Foxgolf (7) SQ SQ Nudgee (5)
    Billybaub (7) 5/3 Waddzy (13)
    4BBB 4/3
    Group 6 -
    Hocko (5) 3/2 Titleist (9)
    Kev (24) 1up Courty (7)
    4BBB 1up
    Group 7 -
    Jmac (16) 1up grumpy (17)
    LeftyHoges (5) 7/6 Peter_rs (12)
    4BBB 2/1
    Group 8 -
    Monsta65 (VC) (11) 1up Solarman (VC) (20)
    Andigold (C) (18 ) SQ SQ PeteyD (C) (17)
    4BBB 1up
    Total: 16 8

It has been decided by last years captains that a tradition shall start of "passing on the armband" to a new captain, selected by the previous years captain (don't worry future Confederate captain, you will get a new armband, not my puked on one from last year! ).

Let the war begin (again!).
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 7th February 2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Groupings updated
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    meh
    My general strategy towards matchplay too!

But in all seriousness, that was a top round just because of the experience and the course. We can probably agree on that?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Now that it's over...

Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Now that it's over...

Bravo, well played.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    My plan was driver then 4h.

Cuts through the kack very nice my hyb.
    So hit driver to here, no 4hyb?

Simmsy.jpg
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Waterhouse View Post
    Group One
    wbennett ($2.20) v AndyP ($1.65).
    OZgolf’s favourite spud has been, dare I say it, on fire over the past couple of months and the result has been a serious handicap plummet. It’s hard to see him getting past the beige one on a course that is all about preparation.

Simmsy (write your own ticket) v Peppas ($1.01).
    Simmsy has had his victory for the decade. Lightning doesn’t strike twice.

Group Two
    Spanner039 ($2.50) v Marto65 ($1.50).
    The ultra competitive SAF founding father will be exceptionally hard to beat. The only thing standing in his way will be the RM fashion police.

LarryLong ($2.60) v NK ($1.40).
    LarryLong? More like LarrySoLong. Do they sell Johnnie Walker & Cola cans at RM?

Group Three
    Bruce ($1.90) v Haysey ($2.05)
    Bruce is a highly underrated performer in the matchplay format, whereas Haysey’s unorthodox swing resembles an octopus falling out of a tree.

Shadesy ($1.30) v Hux ($3.00).
    Hux has next to no bloody chance against the greatest handicap farmer west of the Nullarbor.

Group Four
    BenM ($1.95) v shazza_rs ($1.95).
    Very hard to split this one. The Tasmanian jingler may be suited to matchplay, but let’s be honest here, shazza enjoys a fight.

GK ($1.80) v Gammon ($2.10).
    OK – I haven’t got the faintest ****ing clue who Gammon is. So only the foolhardy would back Gammon (sometimes I crack myself up). GK may be the worst bunker player the world has ever seen, but sandbelt bunkers are exceptionally user friendly.

Group 5
    FoxGolf ($2.00) v Nudgee ($1.85).
    The Wanker versus the shitter. I’m not sure that tea tree will be overly suited to Nudgee’s style of play from the forest, but his overall game should get him home.

BillyBaub ($1.95) v Waddzy ($1.95)
    Interesting contest this one. Waddzy has dropped a lot of shots over the last year and I suspect that RM could possibly be his undoing.

Group Six
    Hocko ($4.00) v Titleist ($1.25).
    Hocko’s extreme deceleration putting style sucks balls at the best of times, and playing at RM will be the stuff of a horror movie. I’ve never forgiven Titleist for trying to pork my mother after the Melbourne Cup but he has to be favoured in this match.

Kev ($1.75) v Courty ($2.25).
    Courty will probably be brought undone by the RM locker room and the abundance of mirrors.

Group Seven
    Jmac ($1.80) v Grumpy ($2.20).
    Who in the blue hell is Jmac? This match revolves around which side of the bed Grumpy gets out of. Who shells out a couple of hunge for this shit?

LeftyHoges ($2.10) v Peter_rs ($1.85).
    If this match was being played off anchors this would be too tight to call.

Group Eight
    Monsta65 ($1.95) v Solarman ($1.95).
    Seriously, who made these two drongos vice captains? Have you lot got no self respect? This match may end in a nil-all draw.

Andigold ($1.80) v PeteyD ($2.20)
    Andigold has a massive advantage in that he is a seasoned sandbelt performer. And apart from that, he can fight. Seriously PeteyD, if he gives you the crazy eyes run.
    Let’s see how Mr Waterhouse got on with his odds…

Group OneC

wbennett ($2.20) v AndyP ($1.65). wbennett – 1up
    OZgolf’s favourite spud has been, dare I say it, on fire over the past couple of months and the result has been a serious handicap plummet. It’s hard to see him getting past the beige one on a course that is all about preparation.
    A titanic struggle all the way from all reports but the Spud earned the right to drop his nickname (before quickly earning it straight back over the weekend) by beating the future VIC Champ 1up. Missed this one Tom.

Simmsy (write your own ticket) v Peppas ($1.01). All square
    Simmsy has had his victory for the decade. Lightning doesn’t strike twice.
    Rumours of dastardly tactics by Peppas, which were almost enough to put the old feller off his game, but with great age comes great experience, and Simmsy takes his matchplay record since WAnker Champs to 2-1-0. A squared match of about 22 points each was a fair result as neither deserved to win. Big miss Tom.

Group Two
    Spanner039 ($2.50) v Marto65 ($1.50). Marto65 – 7/5
    The ultra competitive SAF founding father will be exceptionally hard to beat. The only thing standing in his way will be the RM fashion police.
    34 points Vs the days NAGA. How do you think this went? You could’ve (and should’ve) put your house on this one at those odds. Generous Tom.

LarryLong ($2.60) v NK ($1.40). All square
    LarryLong? More like LarrySoLong. Do they sell Johnnie Walker & Cola cans at RM?
    The plucky little shanker continues to surprise, coupling last years victory over Marto65 with a very respectable squared match against the man who has to pay excess baggage to fly down all his sandbags. The dry show clearly should’ve been taken into consideration by Tom here, but maybe LL is the underrated filly in the field.

Group Three
    Bruce ($1.90) v Haysey ($2.05) Bruce – 2up
    Bruce is a highly underrated performer in the matchplay format, whereas Haysey’s unorthodox swing resembles an octopus falling out of a tree.
    If the score is any indication to go by these were superb odds from Tom. The local knowledge and steady play of Bruce vs the man with a swing likened to an Octopus trying to make love to a set of bagpipes. A ding-dong battle worthy of its tight scoreline.

Shadesy ($1.30) v Hux ($3.00). Shadesy - 1up
    Hux has next to no bloody chance against the greatest handicap farmer west of the Nullarbor.
    Hux admittedly slipped under the radar for the entire weekend, but when it all boils down to it, has anyone ever beaten Fabio at anything? Surprising that the result was as close as it was, it needed Hux’s best efforts to even get close to Australia’s best 12 / worst 6 marker. Tom got it right, but the punters were genuinely scared this favourite would get rolled.

Group Four
    BenM ($1.95) v shazza_rs ($1.95). Shazza_rs – 4/3
    Very hard to split this one. The Tasmanian jingler may be suited to matchplay, but let’s be honest here, shazza enjoys a fight.
    Jingle jangle, jingle jangle, thud! What’s that sound? It’s BenM’s dignity hitting the floor. Beaten by a woman (although admittedly a Long-driving one), he had more than twice as many shots as last year and still couldn’t get the job done. Tom’s odds were fair enough, Shazza just loved the fight too much.

GK ($1.80) v Gammon ($2.10). Gammon – 6/5
    OK – I haven’t got the faintest ****ing clue who Gammon is. So only the foolhardy would back Gammon (sometimes I crack myself up). GK may be the worst bunker player the world has ever seen, but sandbelt bunkers are exceptionally user friendly.
    In a rather lopsided grouping for the Confederates, everyone should have been wanting to back Gammon (see, I can do it too Tom). Clearly the bunkers were anything but user-friendly, Gammon showed he was a force to be reckoned with for the weekend.

Group 5
    FoxGolf ($2.00) v Nudgee ($1.85). All square
    The Wanker versus the shitter. I’m not sure that tea tree will be overly suited to Nudgee’s style of play from the forest, but his overall game should get him home.
    Word quickly spread of Foxy’s 34 front side and OZgolf was aghast. Who was this mystery man from WAnkerLand, and how dare he shoot under par at this magnificent venue when the majority of the field seemed to be struggling? Order was soon restored though as Nudgee clawed his way back into the match and even held the lead going into the final hole. Tom had his odds spot on here until the unfortunate hosel rocket down the last brought about a squared match, and with it disappeared the Nully Cup to the invaders.

BillyBaub ($1.95) v Waddzy ($1.95) Billybaub – 5/3
    Interesting contest this one. Waddzy has dropped a lot of shots over the last year and I suspect that RM could possibly be his undoing.
    The synopsis says it all. Waddzy clearly undone by RM and the local takes the choccies.

Group Six
    Hocko ($4.00) v Titleist ($1.25). Titleist 3/2
    Hocko’s extreme deceleration putting style sucks balls at the best of times, and playing at RM will be the stuff of a horror movie. I’ve never forgiven Titleist for trying to pork my mother after the Melbourne Cup but he has to be favoured in this match.
    Probably closer than most imagined. Australias best putter did as much as he could to stick with the days winner, but anyone playing under cap at RM deserves the win.

Kev ($1.75) v Courty ($2.25). Kev – 1up
    Courty will probably be brought undone by the RM locker room and the abundance of mirrors.
    Some were surprised by Toms odds here, but he proved that maybe he does know how they do it in installing Kev as favourite for this match. Mirrors 1, Courty 0.

Group Seven
    Jmac ($1.80) v Grumpy ($2.20). Jmac – 1up
    Who in the blue hell is Jmac? This match revolves around which side of the bed Grumpy gets out of. Who shells out a couple of hunge for this shit?
    Within 3 holes the greens were declared no good, and with that Jmac took full advantage. Jmac played with power, flair, style, grace, reckless abandon, complete inhibition, unco-ordination, pure shoddiness, very little thought process and absolute utter WTF moments, and I’m still left scratching my head as to how he won the damn match? Nevertheless, Tom had his odds correct.

LeftyHoges ($2.10) v Peter_rs ($1.85). LeftyHoges – 7/6
    If this match was being played off anchors this would be too tight to call.
    No anchors necessary here as Lefty opened his legs and showed his (cl)ass. Peter_rs did struggle with his game, but was probably not deserving of the days biggest defeat. Certainly not a predicted result but anyome game enough to back Lefty at overs would have been laughing all the way to the bank.

Group Eight
    Monsta65 ($1.95) v Solarman ($1.95). Monsta65 – 1up
    Seriously, who made these two drongos vice captains? Have you lot got no self respect? This match may end in a nil-all draw.
    1up!? 1up!? Are you ****ing serious, 1up!? The sheer screams of terror could be heard all over the course as monsta65 was down to Solarman for quite a lengthy spell of this match. Interesting decision to make equal odds here but Tom showed some clear thought process here in the battle to be the least worst.

Andigold ($1.80) v PeteyD ($2.20) All square
    Andigold has a massive advantage in that he is a seasoned sandbelt performer. And apart from that, he can fight. Seriously PeteyD, if he gives you the crazy eyes run.
    I actually had andigold backed in as well and truly clear favourite here, but PeteyD showed that he was well worthy of the Union leadership by squaring the match with a seasoned veteran of the sandbelt.

Verdict:
    Spot on – 5/16
    A little generous – 1/16
    Closer than Tom picked – 4/16
    Miles off – 6/16

Final verdict:
    Who in their right mind would ever bet on amateur golf?
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 3rd April 2014 at 10:43 AM.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Octopus faling out of a tree.... Quality.
    Why exactly do I need to answer to you?

Nullarbor Cup Record 4-0-0
    UnCivil War Record 2-0-0
    GSM Best Finish: 1st
    Vic Champs Best Finish: Tied 4th
    Number of Times beating DC: 1

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Awesome writeup Lefty.

Thread Information