Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2006 NSW MatchPlay - draw and results

While I have no independent witness to the draw, I was scrupulously fair.  I wrote all names on post it notes, folded them up, put them in a bag, swirled it around a few times, then pulled out the post-it notes one at a time.  I wish I hadn't done it this way.  Maybe I would've got a better outcome for myself .

Oh well, that's the luck of the draw .

The number corresponds to when each person came out of the bag, Burger came out first, Amanda came out 17th.  Zipptopp was late, so he gets 18.

First Round.

15 - Matt3Jab  versus  18 - Zipptopp

16 - Jimandr  versus  17 - Amanda

Second Round.

1 - Burger  v  winner of 16 v 17

8 - Trung  v  9 - Jono   - RESULT = JONO 4 and 2

5 - PingLauncher v 12 - Miro

4 - TS  v  13 - BradW

------------------------------------------

3 - Grunt  v  14 - Miro's Wife

7 - Andrew  v  10 - Virgal Tracy

6 - Fishman Dan  v  11 - 3oneday

2-  Coffs Hacker  v  winner of 15 v 18

The third round would be winner of match 1 v winner of match 2 etc.

I don't have the software on my computer at home to do the bracket diagram.  If someone else can do that and PM it to me I can copy and paste it in.

Obviously the first round players need to try and get their game in quickly so as not to delay the event.  As Amanda and myself are one of those matches, we should be able to get our game done fairly soon.

The Miro's are unavailable until nearly the end of February, which should suit Grunt.

The highlight of the second round is definitely Dan v Pete.  I look forward to a long series of emoticon-laden comments before, and after, this game takes place.

Get those PM's flying.  If at all possible, announce your match when the schedule is confirmed so other Ozgolfers can join you to act as witnesses and referees.  Quite a few of us can be weekday players if necessary.  

Good luck and have fun    
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Exactly Amanda I agree 100%, it must be a mid handicapper thing but I have notice once you get to single figures you hate everywhere that is not group 1
    Grant, nice generalisation mate. Might be best to keep those statements to yourself, at the risk of pi$$ing off the guys who play where I do.

My statement was made as a former member of the club, having played there for some time I feel that gives me the right to comment, or at least pass my opinion. I also look forward to playing group 1 courses, unfortunately my handicap is never low enough to play them, so I am yet to play one. I must never play anywhere then hey

FFS, if a guy doesn't wish to play a course because he doesn't rate it, does that need to be questioned . Do you wanna go play all the matches at Bondi ??? Loosen up mate.

P

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Maybe the op has removed the ability of keeping things in my head & now I call it like I see it.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Hey what a little shin dig my golf coure snobbery has created.

Personally, I just don;t see why I should play courses that are:

(a) generally too short to test your whole game;
    (b) generally in poor condition especially the greens.

So Grunt and Ping what is the solution. Make a suggestion as to where and when and lets get this thing going. I am more than happy to do it at the next stroke day which I will post about shortly.

PS Grunt don't worry about transport I am sure between the four of us we can organise something.

Blog Entries

Play it at the stroke play then. Done. If I have to work that weekend I will have to forfeit.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by miro
    Hey what a little shin dig my golf coure snobbery has created.

Personally, I just don;t see why I should play courses that are:

(a) generally too short to test your whole game;
    (b) generally in poor condition especially the greens.

So Grunt and Ping what is the solution. Make a suggestion as to where and when and lets get this thing going. I am more than happy to do it at the next stroke day which I will post about shortly.

PS Grunt don't worry about transport I am sure between the four of us we can organise something.
    If the greens are good and fees etc reasonable I will go with the masses on this one. Happy to wait for the stroke event or another venue if everyone is agreeable.

When you are hitting it short off the tee all courses are long for me so if it not an 8000 yd course it would be good.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Maybe the op has removed the ability of keeping things in my head & now I call it like I see it.
    Nup. You did that pre-op too ...

Glad the operation hasn't changed you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinglauncher
    If the greens are good and fees etc reasonable I will go with the masses on this one. Happy to wait for the stroke event or another venue if everyone is agreeable.

When you are hitting it short off the tee all courses are long for me so if it not an 8000 yd course it would be good.
    You are not that short mate. You can still outdrive Jim ...

Is Jim away from his computer? Or is he just opting not to respond to my jabs ...

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

all courses are too short

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab
    all courses are too short
    Doesn't matter if they're too short if you can't putt

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

so im stuff...cant drive cant putt.......

Regardless on the matter of courses i do agree with miro, a course has to test all of your game to make it worth while, it takes away. Someone with killer irons on a short course is going to dominate, someone with a long long long long long drive will dominate a long course... isnt the reason why you guys play neutral courses is to take away disadvantage...

so i would agree with grunt there that you should map the courses in the beging of the season...spread evenly around nsw...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

once you get to single figures you hate everywhere that is not group 1
    Don't forget guys, we live in Sydney. Even the group 1 courses suck.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are there sheep stations up for grabs here?

No, you're right, OZgolf bragging rights is worth much more than a sheep station.
    Last edited by AndyP; 26th February 2006 at 08:40 AM.

We weren't sure of the rules for when things are tied at 18 holes - we just kept playing the 18th (luckily there were no groups behind) until there was a result. Was this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    You are not that short mate. You can still outdrive Jim ...

Is Jim away from his computer? Or is he just opting not to respond to my jabs ...
    I must admit I had overlooked this thread over the last few days. Just as well, as I wouldv'e been forced to quote a much greater man than I, and say "I get no respect" ( I wish there was a Rodney Dangerfield smiley).

Some of us seem to be giving this competition a must greater importance than it deserves. We are playing for the highly coveted sealed silver box of Penn 15 golf balls with Jono's writing on the cover. It's only a game.

Nevertheless, as a compromise may I suggest either Liverpool or Glenmore as a Match venue. Both courses have Sunday Opne Days, and are good quality tracks that may test all parts of the game. In my view, neither course really gives advantage to the low marker or the high marker.

If I can gain Burger's attention and availability, we need to arrange a game somewhere. When that game happens, other matchplayers are welcome to join us. I don't know whether he is a golf course snob, but I'm definitely the opposite. I'll play anywhere (and probably badly).
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Glenmore sounds good, have not played there for some time though. The last time I played there was before the waste area in front of the 3rd or 4th was still there having like an island green.

Will join who ever plays even if my matchplay is not there.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Quote Originally Posted by amanda
    We weren't sure of the rules for when things are tied at 18 holes - we just kept playing the 18th (luckily there were no groups behind) until there was a result. Was this ok?
    Sure, why not? If both players were in agreement on it, then it's fine.

If you couldn't play any extra holes, then the whole match would have had to be replayed.
    Last year, BrisVegas and damoocow were all square through 18, and agreed to play the 3rd and 4th on a course as there playoff holes, however they only needed the 3rd.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Glenmore sounds good, have not played there for some time though. The last time I played there was before the waste area in front of the 3rd or 4th was still there having like an island green.

Will join who ever plays even if my matchplay is not there.
    Played there today, it's in pretty good nick, well, the 15 holes that I saw were

Go soon though, as soon as it cools down they're fairways get as tight as... well, tight...

Pete

What's the go with giving shots in matchplay after the regulation 18 holes? Grant mentioned that at his home club, once the regulation 18 are over, and you are the higher handicapper, you have basically used all your shots up, and you don't get any more shots on the extra holes. Seems a bit harsh ...

If that is the case, what about fourball best ball matchplay situation?

I'm sure that the shots still go off the indexes. I think that's why the match index on the 1st hole is so high, as this is usually the first playoff hole, and they try to avoid giving shots away there.

Since when has Mac Grange done things the right way? Did this ruling give an advantage to the owner's son?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    I'm sure that the shots still go off the indexes. I think that's why the match index on the 1st hole is so high, as this is usually the first playoff hole, and they try to avoid giving shots away there.

Since when has Mac Grange done things the right way? Did this ruling give an advantage to the owner's son?
    Geez Andy, you're sledging the owner of Mac Grange without having been within 500 miles of the place. Not a bad effort.

While the owner probably would make rules like that, Grunt was talking about handicap matchplay within grades (I think), so there would not be much difference in the ability of the players, so no strokes makes sense in that circumstance.

I suppose it will arise again, so perhaps this is a good time to determine the fairest way to decide allocation of strokes in extra holes.

On Sunday, if we had gone down the first, I would have had a big advantage, as it was the 18th shot hole. It wasn't something I thought about at the time. The opportunity was there to play the 18th again (and again a second time), so we did it. I didn't think it was unfair for me to give away a shot on the hole each time.

HOWEVER, I've had a look at some cards in my collection, and ALL of them have the first hole as the 18th shot hole, so maybe it is deliberately that way. The actual 18th is fairly consistent as either the 9th or 11th shot given.

I guess the best solution is whatever the players agree to on the day and what is possible. I'm not in favour of things like putt-offs or chip off's. But if you keep playing, you follow the index. If you go down the first, you don't give away any shots there. If it's the tenth (or some other convenient hole you can sneak onto without the officials catching you), you follow the index.

I actually don't mind the Brisvegas solution if it cannot be completed on the day. If it's possible to meet another day, you use a couple of holes to warm up, regain psychological advantages etc. and recommence the match at the 3rd. On most of my cards, the 3rd is the 11th or 12th shot hole.

Any other possibilities come to mind?

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    I actually don't mind the Brisvegas solution if it cannot be completed on the day. If it's possible to meet another day, you use a couple of holes to warm up, regain psychological advantages etc. and recommence the match at the 3rd. On most of my cards, the 3rd is the 11th or 12th shot hole.
    Actually it was two separate instances. BV had one playoff, one replay.

In one match, he completely replayed it on another day after being a tie at the end.

In another match against someone else, he played the 3rd and 4th holes straight after the 18 holes ending in a tie. The reason for those holes was because it was the 3rd tee and 4th greens weren't to far to walk from the clubhouse, and would be an easy loop. The par 5 1st would have taken us a good distance away.

As I said, if the participants agree then do we have to stick to official matchplay rules? We may not have the option of replaying the first.

Blog Entries

Updated Results and Draw now on Page 2
    Last edited by Grunt; 28th February 2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Golf clap Grunt -very nice.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I agree - very impressive Grunt. Maybe we should get this on the first page and update it there somehow so that we don't have multiple copies throughout the posts??? - Just an idea.
    Handicap:
    Golflink
    Goals for 2008:
    - actually play golf
    - move in to our new house
    - gain weight (muscle)

Blog Entries

ok results are now in one place page 2 of this post.
    Last edited by Grunt; 28th February 2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Thread Information