Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Barnbougle Dunes

edit - had to split this into two posts due to the forum change...
    Last edited by BrisVegas; 4th October 2007 at 08:05 AM.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

nice review Dion
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Wow!  What a spectacular looking course!  I must play there.

Awesome pics, Vegas.  Thanks.

Looks like a tough course to play when you first go around, as there appears to be several blind shots.

2nd - par 4

If there's a "nothing" hole at BD then this is it.  It's a straightaway par 4 with a fairway bunker that's easily flown.  The green is closely surrounded by rough and is elevated, but that's the only challenge.
    Would different weather conditions make the hole any better?

There are a few holes that were a lot easier second time around.

The 3rd hole is pretty amazing. From the tee, you face a dirty great big sand dune. It's not til you get over it that you can see the fairway.

The 4th hole looks like there is no shot at the green until you get up there. there is a decent landing area over the huge front right trap and the green itself is in a "bowl" so shots can feed back onto the surface again.

The 9th is another hole where you can't see much off the tee. the ideal landing area is over the crest. In other words if you can see your tee shot from the tee still, you're miles from the green!

As is typical with the few links courses I've played, there is nearly always more landing area than you think. You just have the confidence to pick a target and hit it.

As for the second hole, I guess if the prevailing NW'erly got really strong, the fairway trap would come into play. The 3rd person in our group was not a big hitter and from the normal tees managed to carry them. I guess you could say that all of the greens are tough into a headwind, but you have to play the conditions and keep the ball close to the ground.

golflink WITB

Here is a course review written by another internet axe murderer i have known for years since the dark old days of the 1990's in Rec.sport.golf, and a joint titleholder of the prestigious Rec.sport.golf world championship.

http://publishing.kyneton.net.au/barnbougle/

As he is still in the dark ages of usenet I'll see if I can get him on here

C'mon Col'n great bunch of fellas here (except for that Jarro fella)
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

thanks Blakey, that's a great review, especially how he's included the hole layouts.

damn, I wanna go back and play it again now....

golflink WITB

I seem to recall that link being provided before by someone. I might have another read of it tomorrow at work (away from dialup speed).

BV, are those pictures/diagrams of the holes he has on the right of each hole page, from a course guide?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP
    BV, are those pictures/diagrams of the holes he has on the right of each hole page, from a course guide?
    Dunno, but the bit about 'pages from the course guide reproduced with permission" has got me wondering
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

yep - that's the course guide. There are no distance markers on the course, so you need the guide to work out where you are in relation to sprinkler heads and bunkers.

golflink WITB

Vegas,

Interesting read. One thing about Barny Dunes is how different it plays when the wind comes from different angles. I've had wedge into 8 as well as not being able to get there with a 3 wood. The first time I played there 7 was a full 3 iron - mind you that was the strongest wind I'd ever played in anywhere and we'd just flown it thru 5 off the back tees with 9 irons.

To me it's just the best place to spend 3 or 4 days playing golf in this country.
    Play it as it lies......

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ
    Vegas,

Interesting read. One thing about Barny Dunes is how different it plays when the wind comes from different angles. I've had wedge into 8 as well as not being able to get there with a 3 wood. The first time I played there 7 was a full 3 iron - mind you that was the strongest wind I'd ever played in anywhere and we'd just flown it thru 5 off the back tees with 9 irons.

To me it's just the best place to spend 3 or 4 days playing golf in this country.
    Hi JJJ, great to hear from you. I'm well aware how lucky we were with the wind during our 2-dayer. We only copped a stiff NE-erly in the 3rd round (first go off the tips!). The first couple of goes around we had only mild NW winds and we played from the second tees. Course is so much easier in those conditions it's not funny. On 8 for eg.. From the second tees and with a NWerly, Brooky17 and I were both able to carry over the tongue of rough and have relatively short irons in. The very next day, I only just made it to the rough and had to hack it forwards with a wedge, which still left a strong 3rd shot.

I still can't help but think the 18th was a disappointment though. Surely they could have done more with it....

golflink WITB

Vegas,

I'm starting to think you have spent too long in the tropics.... 18 is a great hole! How many holes have you played that have the beach 10m right of the fairway? It's a tough drive over the hill on a crowned fairway to a good green. If I knew how to post photos on here I'd put a few of 18 up for people to judge.

By the way the only holes I don't like are 8 (stupid until they mow the rough between the fairways) 5 (one dimensional, hit it left) and 16 (awful - just doesn't work). I see we disagree on a few......

JJ
    Play it as it lies......

I notice that tithers is just putting up some stuff on Barnbougle at ISG. Will be interesting reading for those that are that way inclined.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Great post - amanda and I were talking last night about what courses were available in Tassie. This came up and we are thinking of putting a long weekend together just to catch the boat down (would rather drive my own car).

Thanks to your post I am definitiely looking forward to it.
    Handicap:
    Golflink
    Goals for 2008:
    - actually play golf
    - move in to our new house
    - gain weight (muscle)

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ
    Vegas,

I'm starting to think you have spent too long in the tropics.... 18 is a great hole! How many holes have you played that have the beach 10m right of the fairway? It's a tough drive over the hill on a crowned fairway to a good green. If I knew how to post photos on here I'd put a few of 18 up for people to judge.

By the way the only holes I don't like are 8 (stupid until they mow the rough between the fairways) 5 (one dimensional, hit it left) and 16 (awful - just doesn't work). I see we disagree on a few......

JJ
    I'd be worried if we didn't disagree on a few JJ! Maybe I was just lucky that I was striping my driver the wekend I played it, but I thought 18 was a snack. Bang a driver down the left side, where it feeds to the middle or right, then flick a wedge or short iron in.

I tend to agree with you on 16 though. It's a spectacular "looking"hole from up the top of the dune behind the tees, but was a bit too silly to have much merit.

I liked 5, but maybe because I still tend to favour aesthetics over challenge.. I know you're supposed to feed it in from the left, but I managed to stick my long iron in the dune on the right 3 times and came up short the other.

#5,#7 and #13 still make up a great set of par 3's despite 16. IMO, par 3's are what makes a course.

golflink WITB

Brad,

Drive down, stay at the cabins on site at the club and eat in the clubhouse. It doesn't get much better anywhere.

JJ
    Play it as it lies......

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Guys, Brisvegas has spoilt you here with his excellent review of the course. Tihteridge has a similar review (hole by hole) going on ISG at the moment as well. GO! You wont be disappointed.

http://www.iseekgolf.com/forums/index.php?showforum=15

Jack

I've been reading.

Mmmmmmmmmm, Barny goodness.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by brad
    Great post - amanda and I were talking last night about what courses were available in Tassie. This came up and we are thinking of putting a long weekend together just to catch the boat down (would rather drive my own car).

Thanks to your post I am definitiely looking forward to it.

Brad,

I took the boat from Melbourne last year, next month I'll be flying from Melbourne. For me any time 'wasted' getting there eats into precious time at the course, even if it just means getting in late arvo and having a walk around. If you can manage to get away mid-week even better, whilst seldom crowded you can feel like you own the joint Mon-Fri.
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Vegas, have you still got your pics of the 15th & 16th? They appear to have dropped off your great review.
    http://www.ozgolf.net/modules.php?na...warticle&id=12

I'll check on the home PC tonight. Does anyone know how long imageshak will hang onto your photos?

golflink WITB

I was interested in finding that out for myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by imageshack FAQ
    How long will my uploaded images be available?
    Your images will only be deleted if they do not adhere to our Terms of Service. Otherwise, your images will be available forever.
    How stable is ImageShack?
    ImageShack strives to have the best stability in the image hosting market. ImageShack's front page can be reached 100% of the time, while each individual image has an average uptime of 99.79%.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

playing here on the 6th of Oct. Played after the honeymoon in June and loved it so much, we've booked flights for the weekend from Melbourne.

Such a great track, despite being eaten by it!
    “You're not a worker bee...you're a renegade killer bee.” - Bill

Senior Member Ozgolf Supporter
    Major Winner

Just read in the latest Golf Mag that Barnbougle has been voted 35th out of the top 100 courses in the world
    I must get down and check that course out

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Eag's View Post
    Just read in the latest Golf Mag that Barnbougle has been voted 35th out of the top 100 courses in the world
    I must get down and check that course out
    Any plans to go and I'll definitely join up, in fact does anyone want to do some organising for a trip next year (April/May??).
    H'cap start 06 - 15 - Goal 06 - 10 - End 06 - 15
    H'cap start 07 - 15 - Goal 07 - 12 - End 07 - 10
    H'cap start 08 - 10 - Goal 08 - 9 - Now - 11 (10.5) - Best 9.1
    MIKE Link - OLD
    MIKE Link - NEW
    THE Bag

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice shots in one's pyjamas before breakfast"
    Alister MacKenzie

Thread Information