Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Vice, I get having a watch if you surf. Given everyone now has a mobile phone are watches now useless except as some type of expensive bangle?
    I've heard this arugement so many times before. But a watch is not just about telling the time. It's a statement about you. Also, guys who work in the office can back this one up. How professional is it to whip out your phone in the middle of a meeting to check the time?

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

My phone is turned off half the time too...
    G.O.L.F = Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden. (Unless scantily clad)
    http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4050400688

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Mobile phones do not make a watch useless, I learnt that after a week where I couldnt find my watch (it was under the bed of course)

When in meetings, there is no discreet way of looking at the time on a mobile phone while someone is talking to you, but you can certainly do it with a wristwatch.
    Also if you forget your phone (which I'm more likely to do because its in pockets and I change clothes) you are pretty much screwed, whereas if you forget your watch, you still have the phone to fall back on!

Besides, its also a great icebreaker if you run into someone wearing a nice watch too!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by keymaster View Post
    I've heard this arugement so many times before. But a watch is not just about telling the time. It's a statement about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icestorm959 View Post
    Besides, its also a great icebreaker if you run into someone wearing a nice watch too!
    OK, guess I'm wrong, watches are in.

I would note that some of the comments above have the potential to make their way to JCs eye brow thread.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

A watch was handy last weekend in Qld, as I could turn it back an hour, and not be confused by the DST clock in the car, laptop, phone or Sureshot.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have 2 Tag watches - a Formula One (an engagement gift from my wife) and an Aquaracer, as well as a Tissot T-Race (bought it on Amazon for about a third of what they retail here) and - my current gamer - a Gucci i-Gucci digital watch. My employer is giving me cash next year to put towards a gift celebrating 20 years with the company - will probably get another watch with the cash...maybe a Tag Monaco or a Louis Vuitton Tambour.

A watch is more than just time, or a piece of jewellery. It does say something about you, a statement. It is something I always notice when I'm at work dealing with clients. I always wear a watch out (but almost never around home). I get that you can check the time on your phone, but it is something that I find kinda rude in business. You can be subtle with a watch.
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMc View Post
    I have 2 Tag watches - a Formula One (an engagement gift from my wife) and an Aquaracer, as well as a Tissot T-Race (bought it on Amazon for about a third of what they retail here) and - my current gamer - a Gucci i-Gucci digital watch. My employer is giving me cash next year to put towards a gift celebrating 20 years with the company - will probably get another watch with the cash...maybe a Tag Monaco or a Louis Vuitton Tambour.

A watch is more than just time, or a piece of jewellery. It does say something about you, a statement. It is something I always notice when I'm at work dealing with clients. I always wear a watch out (but almost never around home). I get that you can check the time on your phone, but it is something that I find kinda rude in business. You can be subtle with a watch.
    Louis Vuitton and Gucci watches..... worthy of re-posting on a certain topic started by Johnny Canuck in this forum

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

A watch is more than just time, or a piece of jewellery. It does say something about you, a statement.
    That statement might vary though, depending on the observer.

I'll agree with you on the phones in business comment though - if somebody so much as touches their phone in a meeting, they've lost me.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Plenty of stuff around too, about people who nick your phone by asking you the time, and most pull out their phone, then they snatch and run. So there's a reason to wear a watch.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Or they chop off your arm to steal the watch

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

As long as they don't get my phone...
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

I've heard this arugement so many times before. But a watch is not just about telling the time. It's a statement about you. Also, guys who work in the office can back this one up. How professional is it to whip out your phone in the middle of a meeting to check the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    They're great for that arm flick and elbow bend that serves the dual purpose of checking the time and notifying everyone within shouting distance that you're a pretentious wanker.
    If you're not carrying a pocket watch in your waistcoat you too have embraced a "modern" twist on telling time. The mobile is the next step.

People use their phones for all sorts of things. Do you look down on people who use the calendar in their phone rather than carry a paper diary?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Or they chop off your arm to steal the watch
    Only if you're wearing a Patek!

What about IWC, that seems to be a good brand?

Haven't gotten myself a new watch yet, almost ended up drowning myself in a mortgage so it kinda got put on hold for a bit but I will hopefully pick something up soon.

Personally, I just like the look of a nice watch, and see the automatics as something slightly different in the age of disposable goods if that makes sense - a good automatic should last many, many, many years. The one I am wearing now is older than me and still runs reasonably well. Anyways, personal thing, everyones got a different opinion on it!

And yes, I also have a mobile that I can read the time off, use the diary function on it, and also have a paper diary!

Quote Originally Posted by Peppas View Post
    http://media1.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2010/12/16/L_IW371438_2011.jpgOne day....

A watch is more than just time, or a piece of jewellery. It does say something about you, a statement. It is something I always notice when I'm at work dealing with clients.
    Alex, what say you about a punter that wears a fake Rolex or other name brand. Can you tell its fake by looking at it?

IWC - good brand, slightly overpriced compared to the competition. There is a robust second hand market for The Pilot (it was one of the four original WW2 pilot watch makers I believe) and Portugese models in particular.

On fake rolexes - depends on the grade, AAA fakes would be hard to tell from a metre away, but a collector would be able to tell the difference if they had it in their hands. What usually gives them away is 1) incorrect magnification, 2) incorrect weight - crappier grade fakes noticeably skimp out more on the bracelet, 3) incorrect labeling at the back or a crystal display back (real rolexes rarely have crystal display backs).

http://media1.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2010/12/16/L_IW371438_2011.jpg One day....
    Too busy for a man of my simple tastes but if its what you're after you should go get it

Quote Originally Posted by Icestorm959 View Post
    IWC - good brand, slightly overpriced compared to the competition. There is a robust second hand market for The Pilot (it was one of the four original WW2 pilot watch makers I believe) and Portugese models in particular.
    Yeah, they do seem quite pricey... do you know if many of the older models have sapphire crystal faces?? Or are they generally mineral?

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    Most definitely.. I'm struggling with the concept of buying a secondhand iPhone off ebay & that's only $300...
    Are you interested in an iPhone 4? I can do you a really cheap deal as soon as my new phone arrives. PM me is interested Carlton.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Yeah, they do seem quite pricey... do you know if many of the older models have sapphire crystal faces?? Or are they generally mineral?
    It depends how old we are talking. Models from 1990's and onwards are mostly sapphire crystal. The WW2 models may have been mineral, though to be honest I am not all that across the vintage watch market.

Which IWC model has caught your eye?

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Are you interested in an iPhone 4? I can do you a really cheap deal as soon as my new phone arrives. PM me is interested Carlton.
    Bugger... yes I was Ian (for the wife) but, I just purchased a refurbished one from EB Games.. thanks for the offer though..
    WITB
    Cobra Amp Cell 9.5* - Kuro Kage Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 3 - 4 Fwy (4) - Fujikura Fuel Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid (3) MRC Cobra Amp Cell Stiff
    Ping I20 4 - UW CFS Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX 53* & 56* DG Wedge
    TP Mills SoftTail

Haven't gotten myself a new watch yet, almost ended up drowning myself in a mortgage so it kinda got put on hold for a bit but I will hopefully pick something up soon.

Personally, I just like the look of a nice watch, and see the automatics as something slightly different in the age of disposable goods if that makes sense - a good automatic should last many, many, many years. The one I am wearing now is older than me and still runs reasonably well. Anyways, personal thing, everyones got a different opinion on it!

And yes, I also have a mobile that I can read the time off, use the diary function on it, and also have a paper diary!
    IWC's are nice.. personally I'm on the lookout for a bargain basement Breitling, once I'm working again & perhaps after I win lotto..
    WITB
    TP Mills SoftTail

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Alex, what say you about a punter that wears a fake Rolex or other name brand. Can you tell its fake by looking at it?
    If you know what you are looking at, it is pretty easy to tell a real from a fake. The glass is usually a dead giveaway.I don't know... A watch is usually something I notice. I get that phones mean you don't have to wear a watch these days, but I like wearing a nice watch.
    WITB (27/12/2022):Titleist TSR3 10 (Tour AD-DI 7S), Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Tour AD-95R), Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi (Project X U R), Titleist T300 4-P (DG AMT R), TItleist SM8 50.12, 54.8, 58.8 (DG), Scotty Cameron Monoblok 6.5 (35”, LA Golf Soho)

If you know what you are looking at, it is pretty easy to tell a real from a fake. The glass is usually a dead giveaway.I don't know... A watch is usually something I notice. I get that phones mean you don't have to wear a watch these days, but I like wearing a nice watch.
    The movement of the secondhand is usually a dead giveaway as well; Genuine Rolex movements sweep they do not tick... haven't seen a fake Rolex nail that movement feature yet...
    WITB
    TP Mills SoftTail

Thread Information