Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Default Iron Advice - 588 MT's v Speedblades

I'm a high handicapper looking to upgrade from my $400 complete set bought 12 months ago. Will be playing approx 3-4 times per month over spring/summer with a lesson each month. The opportunity to buy a new set of irons won't come around again for me for a while, so this decision is pretty big.

I am down to the Cleveland 588 MT's and the new TM Speedblades. Price is no concern between these two sets of irons as I've worked out a pretty good deal on the speed blades.

I've hit the rocketbladez and quite liked them, and from all reports the speed bladez are very similar. I'll try and get a hit with the 588's soon, but for now just after people's thoughts between the two.

Durability is something I'm considering too, as I want these irons to last a few years.

What are peoples thoughts / comments ??

Cheers

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucko View Post
    I'm a high handicapper looking to upgrade from my $400 complete set bought 12 months ago. Will be playing approx 3-4 times per month over spring/summer with a lesson each month. The opportunity to buy a new set of irons won't come around again for me for a while, so this decision is pretty big.

I am down to the Cleveland 588 MT's and the new TM Speedblades. Price is no concern between these two sets of irons as I've worked out a pretty good deal on the speed blades.

I've hit the rocketbladez and quite liked them, and from all reports the speed bladez are very similar. I'll try and get a hit with the 588's soon, but for now just after people's thoughts between the two.

Durability is something I'm considering too, as I want these irons to last a few years.

What are peoples thoughts / comments ??

Cheers
    Go for gold mate!!! Neither set should have any problems with durability, just make sure you get fitted right and get the right shafts in them.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Hi bucko, what set are you currently using and what do you feel the current set is lacking?
    Is there a reason why you've narrowed down to those two iron sets specifically seeing that you haven't hit either?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hit the mt's side by side with the Altitudes and see how they compare

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Have a look in the last few pages of Pacific Golfer (or whatever it is called this year) newspaper for a diary of manufacturers' demo days in your area.

Their websites should have a list of them also.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Only buy new if your getting fit for them by a pro mate.. not much more than buying off the rack and will help you bring down that cap!

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    Hit the mt's side by side with the Altitudes and see how they compare
    Buy the 4/5 AT and if you don't like them you should jump on here and see if anyone wants to trade you for some MT

I've got 4-6MT, 4 is in the garage and 5 gets me out of trees but I do like the 6. It's great out of the middle and mishits (mostly low on the face) manage to still move forward and fairly straight.

I was fitted for TM Rocketbladez at a Taylormade fiting day and quite liked them. The new TM Speedbladez are almost identical in length, weight, loft & lie, so I'm using the same fit.

I've based the fit for the Cleveland 588 MT's on how I was fit for the TM Rocketbladez, adjusting for the difference in factory lie angle and length.

My current set is an off the rack 1 inch longer tommy armour set. I've managed to snap the 3 hybrid after getting it snagged in the scrub too many times, the 5 iron shaft is bent and the lie on the irons is way off and I dig the toe in constantly. It was always a cheap "see how this golf thing goes" set, with a view to upgrade if I kept at it. And guess what, I bought a house next to a golf course.

Anyway, I know I like the rocketbladez / speedbladez but am just being very cautious and looking for a reason not to go with them. The Cleveland 588 MT's are the only others that are still in the mix... just.

Oh yeah, and where did Altitudes come into it ??

I'm looking at TM Speedblades vs Cleveland 588 MT's

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

I was fitted for TM Rocketbladez at a Taylormade fiting day and quite liked them. The new TM Speedbladez are almost identical in length, weight, loft & lie, so I'm using the same fit.

I've based the fit for the Cleveland 588 MT's on how I was fit for the TM Rocketbladez, adjusting for the difference in factory lie angle and length.

My current set is an off the rack 1 inch longer tommy armour set. I've managed to snap the 3 hybrid after getting it snagged in the scrub too many times, the 5 iron shaft is bent and the lie on the irons is way off and I dig the toe in constantly. It was always a cheap "see how this golf thing goes" set, with a view to upgrade if I kept at it. And guess what, I bought a house next to a golf course.

Anyway, I know I like the rocketbladez / speedbladez but am just being very cautious and looking for a reason not to go with them. The Cleveland 588 MT's are the only others that are still in the mix... just.
    If you like the rocketblades then get them, they should be a bit cheap cos they are the older model. If you want to try the speedblades then go and demo them so you can hit them side by side with the rocketblades

Which ever way you go, make sure you get fitted those clubs!! Your specs for the TM stuff won't necessarily transfer to the 588's.....

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    If you like the rocketblades then get them, they should be a bit cheap cos they are the older model. If you want to try the speedblades then go and demo them so you can hit them side by side with the rocketblades

Which ever way you go, make sure you get fitted those clubs!! Your specs for the TM stuff won't necessarily transfer to the 588's.....
    +1 for this mate , honestly the newer model clubs will be outsourced again in no time so if you liked the rocketbladez you can use the saved money elsewhere. I did exactly what you did.. buy a cheap set and see how it goes.. then went and got fitted for my callaway razr x blks and that was 10 months ago.. since then my irons have been outdated twice and my driver is 4 models old so don't worry too much about it being the newest !

Blog Entries

It's TMaG. Speedbladez will be outdated by Xmas...
    Go the Rocketbladez if that's what floats your boat. There may even be a few sets floating around on here...
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Oh yeah, and where did Altitudes come into it ??

I'm looking at TM Speedblades vs Cleveland 588 MT's
    Simply put out there to consider - you said high handicapper and they are designed to suit that...

I did the same mate, thought a cheap set would do me for ages, but they didn't. Fell in love with the game and went crazy and got all new stuff, clubs that are not for the cap that I am, but I love them. I've tried a lot of other game improvement clubs but I didn't like them. I had a set for a month and I shot 110-135 everytime I played. Prob just in my mind but go with what you like and feel comfortable with mate.

I'm a high handicapper looking to upgrade from my $400 complete set bought 12 months ago. Will be playing approx 3-4 times per month over spring/summer with a lesson each month.

I've hit the rocketbladez and quite liked them, and from all reports the speed bladez are very similar.

I'm starting to become more consistent but mostly shooting in the 90s, my most common miss (and apparently the most common mishit for guys like us) is down low on the face. Apparently this specifically is the big advantage of the Taylormade slot design. It helps get the ball up in the air even on those low-down mishits. I hit a couple of shots last game where I'm not even sure I hit the bottom groove on the iron face, I think it was entirely the leading edge of the club

From what I've read, the Speedblades have eliminated some of the "hot spots" of the Rocketblades wherein you'd get the odd ball shooting further than expected.

I don't see that many people playing Cleveland irons, but those that do rave about them.

Durability - I wouldn't worry about durability from any major manufacturer. If it's a problem your warranty should cover it.
    Last edited by Mububban; 7th October 2013 at 04:32 PM.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

I play TM RBZ iron and cleveland hybrid, wood and driver. They both are very well built, although I do feel the cleveland has slightly better details and finishing when compare to the TM. No matter which one you are getting, best get them fitted by a pro. Personally, if I am getting a set of iron again, I probably will go for cleveland and have a mix of altitude and MT (4-6 altitude, 7-pw MT).

Thread Information