Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sun Care

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Default Sun Care

I have been looking at ways to improve my sun protection regime. 2 BCCs cut out so far, and I am finding it increasingly hard to avoid some level sunburn/ sun damage in our current spat of hot spring/summers.

I have shifted to wearing wide brimmed hats, though the selection of Golf specific versions is somewhat limited. I have found Cricket Hats, Gray Nicolls in particular, to be the best fitting and seem to offer the best protection, and they are quite economical as well. But it hard to find them in colours other than Cricket Cream, especially in my boofhead size. I also found a semi bucket style at local sports shop, that fits well. It is apparently a School Team type hat, but available in XL for less than $10, so a bargain. Most of the Golf specific hats seem to me to be poorly designed, and over priced for what they are.

I am trying to find some lightweight long sleeve polos to try. Not a great fan of the sun sleeves, though I can understand their attraction. There doesn't seem to be a great selection from the Golf Apparal brands, especially with collars rather than mock tops. And finding lightweight and very breathable versions is also pretty hard it seems.

Anyone got any suggestions, sources etc for better sun protection cover?

I managed to find some nike dri-fit long sleeve polos with a UV rating. Not sure what they'd cost here but they are designed for golf and I've been happy with them.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

What about skins? You can get those fishing scarve thingos that fold into a hundred different shapes to cover your face/neck and whatnot too...
    G.O.L.F = Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden. (Unless scantily clad)
    http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapHistory.aspx?golflink_no=4050400688

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I am happy with the sleeves now that I am used to them. Took a bit though.

Which sports shop had the semi bucket hats? I have had the same problem getting a comfortable wide brim hat.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    I am happy with the sleeves now that I am used to them. Took a bit though.

Which sports shop had the semi bucket hats? I have had the same problem getting a comfortable wide brim hat.
    Struddys at Capalaba. I have a Navy Cricket Hat that is a fraction too small for my boof, if you want to try it.

Senior Member Major Winner

I use my old fishing hat.

Shimano make some good stuff both with shirts and hats. Go to your local BCF or what ever you have near you.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I pretend my dark skin will protect me.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

yeh if anyone comes across a comfy wide brim hat that stays on in the wind lmk

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Anyone got any suggestions, sources etc for better sun protection cover?
    Sunscreen with at least 5% Titanium Oxide or Zinc Oxide. My whimsical research efforts has revealed that anything else is not really good enough. I did a thread on this years ago with links to the research I found.
    Blue Lizard is supposed to be the go, seems to be one of those australian products only available in USA. group buy?

Yesterday i did another round of looking for better hats for golf. The biggest issue for me is that most hats push down on the Glasses arms, and I cant play without a hat or glasses. As best I can tell, there really is no decent all round golf sun protection hat. They are either going to be not wide enough in the brim, like gilligans bucket hats, too hot, blow off easily in the wind, and make you look like farmer brown . It seems to me that most of the golfing world play in weather where hats are not required. Come to think of it, I cant remember ever seeing Nicklaus play golf in hats.

I ordered a Barmah Canvas Sportz - delivered for $40, I have had one of these before, its pretty good, but someone nicked it. Its not a crushable though so a pain in the neck to carry about when you dont need it, likewise would be any of the Akubras or any other G.Norman style.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I'm going to check out city beach. Those surfie stoners might know something we don't

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Sunscreen with at least 5% Titanium Oxide or Zinc Oxide. My whimsical research efforts has revealed that anything else is not really good enough. I did a thread on this years ago with links to the research I found.
    Blue Lizard is supposed to be the go, seems to be one of those australian products only available in USA. group buy?

Yesterday i did another round of looking for better hats for golf. The biggest issue for me is that most hats push down on the Glasses arms, and I cant play without a hat or glasses. As best I can tell, there really is no decent all round golf sun protection hat. They are either going to be not wide enough in the brim, like gilligans bucket hats, too hot, blow off easily in the wind, and make you look like farmer brown . It seems to me that most of the golfing world play in weather where hats are not required. Come to think of it, I cant remember ever seeing Nicklaus play golf in hats.

I ordered a Barmah Canvas Sportz - delivered for $40, I have had one of these before, its pretty good, but someone nicked it. Its not a crushable though so a pain in the neck to carry about when you dont need it, likewise would be any of the Akubras or any other G.Norman style.
    I use Aldi Ombra Sunscreen, it has 6% Zinc Oxide.

I am not a fan of the Akubra style hats for golf.

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    I use my old fishing hat.

Shimano make some good stuff both with shirts and hats. Go to your local BCF or what ever you have near you.
    I have already done a tour of my local BCF, but found nothing that looked the part. Too floppy, and/or needs a chin strap to stay on in the wind. I have a well worn Shimano Suede wide brim hat in the shed, but you can't seem to buy them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I'm going to check out city beach. Those surfie stoners might know something we don't
    We went to DFO the other day and I looked in all the likely places, City Beach, Billabong, Adidas, Puma etc, even Mountain Design (Trekking) nothing appealed as suitable.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The old Greg Chappell hat plastered with golf patches is what the cool kids wear.

Google "Aussie cooler hat". Great idea, expensive and only sold in USA
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Google "Aussie cooler hat". Great idea, expensive and only sold in USA
    I assume you are referring to Aussie Chillers;

http://www.aussiechiller.com/

Oops, yeah. Group buy?
    --
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I thought the umbrella hat looked better.

The best hat I've found is called a Legend Vortech 4015 bucket hat. The problem is it's one of those hats that they sell to suppliers who embroid logos onto them so no one sells them individually.

Here's an example.

http://www.raveoncaps.com.au/vortech...gend-headwear/

Quote Originally Posted by Pirelli View Post
    The best hat I've found is called a Legend Vortech 4015 bucket hat. The problem is it's one of those hats that they sell to suppliers who embroid logos onto them so no one sells them individually.

Here's an example.

That is very similar to the School Sports Hat I bought. The brim is wider than the normal bucket and it isn't as floppy as the average bucket. Mine is made by Grace Collection, another bulk seller.

https://gracecollection.com.au/index...limitstart=200

Quote Originally Posted by Pirelli View Post

Here's an example.

Found a company based here in Brisbane that sell them in single lots. I have placed an order, will see how it goes;

http://rightcrossworkwear.com/Catalo...7/Default.aspx

Let me know how it goes! I might put in an order myself.

as above, do tell etc.

I picked up a couple of long-sleeve Nike Dri-Fit Victory Polos, and would recommend them. One thing, though, other than white there aren't many lighter colours available, or at least that I could find.

Thread Information