Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sun Care

Also,
    I brought cancer council sunscreen very recently, and it has no zinc oxide in it.

What is the zinc supposed to do, but isnt deemed important enough for the cancer council?

Thanks Bushy.
    Will look into them

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by RobNewy View Post
    Also,
    I brought cancer council sunscreen very recently, and it has no zinc oxide in it.

What is the zinc supposed to do, but isnt deemed important enough for the cancer council?
    Hard to say, have a read of this to hopefully understand the bigger picture and the mirade of different factors and ingredients involved. In my experience Sun Screens/Blocks with Zinc and/or Titanium Oxides seems to stay on longer and be more effective on a high risk day. For golf that means I usually don't have to reapply Sunscreen during a round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Sun Care

Quote Originally Posted by RobNewy View Post
    Also,

To my knowledge, zinc blocks/absorbs rather than reflects the harmful UVB/UVA radiation. It sits on the skin rather than being absorbed. There are studies that may or may not show that zinc oxide nano particles can be bad for you but I've read alot about all types of nano particles (ie very very small at molecular level), this could be why the cancer council dont recommend zinc??. I use Invisible Zinc brand of sunscreen, a combination of the 4hr water resistant 50+ and ESP Moisturising 30+. I also wear the sleeves and 99% of the time I wear long pants. The brands out these days are light and cool so even on days like yesterday where it was 34 ish with 90+% humidity I felt fine in my longs and sleeves.

In all seriousness our golfing group had a close mate pass away late last year from cancer caused by the sun, not even 50 yet. Another has had surgeries into the dozens to remove suspect spots including big chunks from his nose and face. I'm 33 this year and decided after my mate was diagnosed that I was covering up head to toe, easier to cover up than fight something thats trying to kill you???

Check this re zinc and nano particles.

http://www.charpan.com/sunscreen-tip...-nanoparticles
    Last edited by BUSHY; 11th January 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Yeah for some reason very few of the SPF 50+ sunscreens under the new regulations seem to have zinc (that I've found). I have a Banana boat Sport spf 30+, and a 50+, the 30+ has zinc but the 50+ doesn't.

I'm not convinced that the 30+ with zinc provides better protection than the 50+...

Check this link.

http://www.badgerbalm.com/s-30-what-...on-factor.aspx

Basically 15+ protects from 93% of UVB, 30+ is 97%, 50+ is 98%.

The other way of looking at it is 30+ let's through 3 photons out of 100, 50+ let's through 2 out of 100.

I find non Zinc Oxide sunscreens seem to cause blocked pores and acne, mainly on my snoz. Using the Zinc ones seems to stop the problem.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    I prefer the sleeves over a full compression type shirt. Much more comfortable
    I'm the opposite.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I was using the cheap tubs you would get at woolies, target, etc and was having issues with eczema. I have changed brands and the issues have gone away. Might need to check the ingredients to see if I can pinpoint something.

I can't afford the good stuff with the amount I use.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
    I can't afford the good stuff with the amount I use.
    I've worn compression tops or sleeves for about the past 3 years. Going pants on certain days as well now.

Member Club Champion

I dont know if its been mentioned, but straw hats are good on the stinking hot days. Not the wide ones you wear to the cricket, smaller ones like what Norman wore.

Your head doesnt get hot when wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I've worn compression tops or sleeves for about the past 3 years. Going pants on certain days as well now.
    I'm basically pants full time since my mate passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Charger View Post
    I dont know if its been mentioned, but straw hats are good on the stinking hot days. Not the wide ones you wear to the cricket, smaller ones like what Norman wore.

Your head doesnt get hot when wearing them.
    Titleist bucket hats are good, not too big. My mate who's been getting crap cut out of him had 4 or 5 big chunks cut out of his skull that they put down to wearing one of those G Norman straw hats. Just saying.

Can't go past the Greg Chappell hats. Can't seem to find them in colours anymore tho.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Intentionally bumping an old thread:

Has anything changed on this front? I’m notorious for not wearing enough sunscreen.
    During spartan I’d get away with wearing long sleeves or slopping it on before heading out.

I think for me the best idea is long sleeves, long pants but seeing whether anyone has uncovered a sensation sunscreen that isn’t greasy, lasts 5 hours and doesn’t stain shirts?
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

I only use Sunscreens with Zinc Oxide (and or Titanium Dioxide as 2nd choice). They are hard to find these days, after the scare campaign run by the Nano-particle nut cases caused most manufacturers to move to other lower profile chemicals. Ironically Zinc Oxide is also a common Skin condition treatment core ingredient.

I use Auscreen Sport which is an SPF 50+. It contains 50mg/g of Zinc Oxide. It is none greasy, rubs in and seems to last a full round of golf, even in the steamiest conditions. It is hard to find in most retailers, Target do stock it;

http://auscreen.com.au/
    Last edited by Daves; 6th January 2018 at 09:02 AM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You made me look, Daves, because I purchased a bottle of Auscreen in Adelaide for my daily use during the SA Champs. My bottle is marked 'family' rather than 'sport', but it did the job for me.

But, I also looked at the list of active ingredients, and they are exactly the same as those listed in the Coles Home Brand Everyday Sunscreen that I use on a daily basis.

I don't have sensitive skin, and my skin cancer doctor told me years ago that the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff for the actual purpose of blocking the sun damage. He said that the differences are mainly cosmetic in terms of look and scent and feel. So I use the cheap stuff, and it seems to work for me.

That doesn't really help with Timah!'s question, as they are a bit greasy. I always apply my sunscreen before I leave home, not as a last minute thing on the first tee.

I also use the Aldi homebrand Ombra sunscreen on my face. It seems quite good for that purpose, and is significantly cheaper than most.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Blog Entries

Will give the Aldi sensitive a try. Seems to fit the ingredients bill.

Came home with a cheap bucket hat from k-mart which the wife immediately hated. Which must mean sun protection will be high. Ha!

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

After getting a bit fried on Friday I did the whole umbrella and wide brim hat and extra thick sun screen thing today.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Good to see Aldi have gone back to Zinc Oxide based Sunscreens. I used to use them as they were Zinc Oxide based. But then they caved into the scare campaigns and went to other formulas a few years ago.

Blog Entries

The sensitive one is the only one that has it. The others didn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by timah! View Post
    The sensitive one is the only one that has it. The others didn’t.
    Thanks, I grabbed a tube. It is cheap as Chips too! Exactly the same formula as the Auscreen one, though a touch thinner in the application. I tried it and it works well.

Yesterday I forgot to put on my own Sunscreen before leaving for Golf, and I didn't have a spare tube in my bag. So I used the Sunscreen the Club has in the Washroom. It is a home brand version and quite greasy. I layered it on thick as I could. After Golf I felt like I was in a Sauna, and I was "hot" skinned all night. I presume it was a UVA "burn" as there was very little redness or signs of significant sunburn.

I used the Aldi sensitive one yesterday for the first time. Great consistency, no stinging in the eyes, and the least amount of burn I have had for ages.

Good kit!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Silly question here, but how much am I suppose to be using? I dont really practice "sun smart" when I was a kid, so kind of clueless

I have seen people use just pump to a raisin size and spread it till it disappear... while some use I assume is a palm full of it and looks like a ghost mask...

Had a few burnt, frozen ,scraped and cut off- time to take the hint

Got zinc in a roll out lipstick like tube, spray on 50+ and sunscreen in most of my bags and travel gear.
    Still miss a few spots
    I’m sure the damage is done but best to be safe from here in

Wish I could play in the big straw hats, best I can handle is the Bucket hat. I’m no fashion plate winner so I’ll live with the look

Use it guys, it’s not getting any better out there

Thread Information