Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sun Care

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    I picked up a couple of long-sleeve Nike Dri-Fit Victory Polos, and would recommend them. One thing, though, other than white there aren't many lighter colours available, or at least that I could find.
    Could be right about the light colours. The Cancer Council recommends dark colours, because light colours apparently reflect UV onto your exposed areas e.g. face, whereas dark colours mostly absorb them.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I'm going to check out city beach. Those surfie stoners might know something we don't
    This is where I got my bucket hat from, and have worn it for golf. If it's windy I'd stuck the cord under my neck. But I reckon it's the sort of place to find the most suitable of these style hats, that don't look to grandpa. I don't find them too expensive there either. And I can make myself look surfie stoner enough to wear them!

I just use the woolies brand cream in a big pump bottle, it's the cheapest I can find. But applied properly I don't get burned. Heck, a week down the coast and I can't team the white out of me.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Could be right about the light colours. The Cancer Council recommends dark colours, because light colours apparently reflect UV onto your exposed areas e.g. face, whereas dark colours mostly absorb them.
    Hmm, makes sense.

But I was thinking the opposite: lighter colours for brighter/warmer days.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Interesting I would always wear white shirts on bloody hot days.It may be the lesser of two evils if its very hot, and at least UV does not have much to do with temperature so its not going to be exponentially worse to still wear whites.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrymoo View Post
    Hmm, makes sense.

But I was thinking the opposite: lighter colours for brighter/warmer days.
    Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Interesting I would always wear white shirts on bloody hot days.It may be the lesser of two evils if its very hot, and at least UV does not have much to do with temperature so its not going to be exponentially worse to still wear whites.
    http://www.cancerqld.org.au/page/pre...n/skin_cancer/
    Slip on protective clothing

Choose clothing that:

• Covers as much skin as possible e.g. long sleeves and high necks/collars.
    • Is made from close weave materials such as cotton, polyester/cotton and linen.
    • Is dark in colour to absorb UV rays. White and lighter colours reflect UV onto skin.
    • If used for swimming, is made from materials such as lycra, which stays sun protective when wet.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I remember when I was at school playing cricket in a 40 odd degree day and wore a black hat.

Passed out on the kitchen floor that night, and did the same the next morning (but in the lounge room).

Doctor said it was from heat stroke and wearing the black was more than likely the culprit by attracting all the heat......

Never worn a black hat since that day!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I've found surf hats that do the job, but you have to hunt around to find the right one. Last one I bought was a Rip Curl...broad brim but soft enough to throw in the bag, drawstring to shove behind the head to keep it on in the wind.

Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist
    But you lovely bitches and hoes should know I'm trying to correct this.

Senior Member Major Winner

Heard that terry towelling shorts are good protection too.
    I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Heard that terry towelling shorts are good protection too.
    They were chenille, Favourite...very upmarket fabric!

Apologies!!
    I'm back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haystacks View Post
    They were chenille, Favourite...very upmarket fabric!
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by dc68 View Post
    Apologies!!

I use Aldi Ombra Sunscreen, it has 6% Zinc Oxide.
    Went to Aldi, they had 3 or 4 variations of Aldi Ombra (sport, sensitive, kids) but none had any Zinc Oxide listed in the ingredients. Could you check yours again?
    Maybe its a product they do not stock at the moment.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Went to Aldi, they had 3 or 4 variations of Aldi Ombra (sport, sensitive, kids) but none had any Zinc Oxide listed in the ingredients. Could you check yours again?
    Maybe its a product they do not stock at the moment.
    The Family version definitely doesn't have it, or at least the 2 pump packs we have don't have it listed.

We have a couple of 200gram tubes of the Sensitive version and both have it listed. Both are new and would have been purchased in recent months.

The Tube of Ultra Sport with Clear Zinc we have also has it listed. Not sure when we purchased this one?

Thanks, I recognise those tubes, but I am positive they had SPF50 on them and definitely no Zinc. Also I think the active ingreidients had more names, like 4 or 5.
    Must have been a product change I guess. I'll take a photo next time just to be sure I am not going insane or blind.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thanks, I recognise those tubes, but I am positive they had SPF50 on them and definitely no Zinc. Also I think the active ingreidients had more names, like 4 or 5.
    Must have been a product change I guess. I'll take a photo next time just to be sure I am not going insane or blind.
    I was in Aldi today, so checked them out. Yep, product ingredients have been changed and now labelled as SPF 50+ in line with the new standards;

http://www.cancer.org.au/news/news-articles/spf-50.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pirelli View Post
    The best hat I've found is called a Legend Vortech 4015 bucket hat. The problem is it's one of those hats that they sell to suppliers who embroid logos onto them so no one sells them individually.

Here's an example.

http://www.raveoncaps.com.au/vortech...gend-headwear/
    Part of my order turned up today, so got to test one of these Vortech bucket heats out. They look the part, nice wide brim, sweat band, water resistant. washable, good fit etc but I found that contrary to their claims, their breathability is very poor. Felt like a little sweat box actually, and I had to continually remove it to let the top of my head cool. Disappointed, as they look the part, but the cheap school bucket I bought is far more comfortable to wear than this was.

Saw in Kmart they had bucket hats for $6, don't know how they compare to others but might be worth a look.

Member Trainee Pro

I like the Norman Signature straw hats. Very comfortable and super cool on the head.
    Nike VR 9.5 Diamana S+ 62 Stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 15 Speeder 77 R
    Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid Cobra Bio Cell Stiff
    Taylormade RSI TP 4 - PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Nike VR 52*/56*/60*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Member Trainee Pro

I have shifted to wearing wide brimmed hats, though the selection of Golf specific versions is somewhat limited.
    Daves, I just bought a hat that might suit your needs. Wide brimmed sailing hat, $22 from Whitworths Marine & Leisure. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

I have a large head & have trouble finding caps to fit but this fits well in XL size. Stiff bit in the brim at the front so it won't flop down. I believe it'd be fine to wear while swinging golf clubs around unlike the straw type golf hat I tried that just didn't feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Daves, I just bought a hat that might suit your needs. Wide brimmed sailing hat, $22 from Whitworths Marine & Leisure. https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

I have a large head & have trouble finding caps to fit but this fits well in XL size. Stiff bit in the brim at the front so it won't flop down. I believe it'd be fine to wear while swinging golf clubs around unlike the straw type golf hat I tried that just didn't feel right.
    Thanks for the link Sasq.. I will check them out next time I am in Whitworths.

I bought a selection of hats (Buckets and Wide Brims) from Right Cross Work Wear. I will get around to reviewing them once I have trialled them all.

I also picked up a Nike long sleeve Polo, that looks like it will be good for really hot days. I might see if I can pick up some Ice sleeves as well.

I tried a long sleeve polo today, a Nike Dri Fit. It was a bit cooler today (top of 27 forecast), so thought that I would give it a run. Went OK, a good breeze helped keep it cool. I wouldn't want to have it on a hot relatively windless day though I reckon. I will see if I can get some sleeves to try and compare. A review of Hats I purchased will happen when I get a chance.

Are the sleeves hard to get usedto,
    Or would a Skinz type shirt be better?

I prefer the sleeves over a full compression type shirt. Much more comfortable

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by RobNewy View Post
    Are the sleeves hard to get usedto,
    Or would a Skinz type shirt be better?
    Ive got both, the problem with the full compression shirts is I found it rubs on the neck and underarm area over 4-5 hours. I use a compression singlet with separate skinz A400 sleeves that are exceptionally good in both keeping you cool and keeping the sun off. The sleeves dont really even feel like your wearing them after a while, I think I've had them for almost a year and comparatively compression is better than "Iceray" type products because the compression helps with cooling, sun protection and aids in circulation and muscle support. They are a little bit more expensive but I think they are definitely worth it. The compression singlet helps keep you cool under your shirt.
    Last edited by BUSHY; 11th January 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Thread Information