Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Default 3rd Test Aus V SA

What an over from Brett Lee!!
    How did that Yorker miss the stumps?
    How was that LBW not out?
    Is Billy Bowden now the worst umpire on the international roster?

Will be essential for the aussies to get in amongst the the lower/middle order before lunch. Could be a hard slog if they get a big 1st innings total with the failings of some of the middle order lately (excluding 2nd innings last test).
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: 3rd Test Aus V SA

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Is Billy Bowden now the worst umpire on the international roster?
    yes

South Africa are really digging their heels in.

looking like it's gonna be a lame draw now
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Aussies in self-destruct mode?

why the hell did Hodge play at that ball surely he must have seen they were sizing him up for the short ball

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Two things;

(a) Hodge is NOT a test standard batsman. One huge innings does not make a career and hopefully that dsigraceful dismissal will be viewed the same as the infamous D Martyn dismissal many years ago which got him the axe.

(b) this new Elim Dar (pheonetics) bloke may challenge Bowden as the worst ump around. Just popped out for lunch to see Hussey hit plum in front (hawkeye showed middle stump, 6 inches down). The only way it wasn't out was if it was edged -BUT Smith caugth it so it was still out.

ALim Dar was the bloke that gave Katich out in the Ashes to that ball that hit him on the thoih pad after pitching 2 feet outside leg. He is already holder of the title!
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Quote Originally Posted by miro
    Two things;

(a) Hodge is NOT a test standard batsman. One huge innings does not make a career and hopefully that dsigraceful dismissal will be viewed the same as the infamous D Martyn dismissal many years ago which got him the axe.

(b) this new Elim Dar (pheonetics) bloke may challenge Bowden as the worst ump around. Just popped out for lunch to see Hussey hit plum in front (hawkeye showed middle stump, 6 inches down). The only way it wasn't out was if it was edged -BUT Smith caugth it so it was still out.
    It's like they've been told not to give LBW, but then that one of Prince yesterday was a horrendous one to give, stuffed if I know but these blokes are making the case for going upstairs for every decision more real every day.

They'll all make themselves redundant at this rate !!!!

Pete

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The CRAP umpiring is getting more headlines than the actual cricket. There have certainly been some pretty ordinary decisions

i can't see why they just can't go to hawkeye for every decision

it's not like it's gonna take that long to have a look at it, then at least we'll know we get almost all the decisions right

You are assuming that Hawkeye is always right.

I don't think it is a correct assumption.

well, i'm thinking Hawkeye is a lot more consistent than umpires anyway.

some of the decisions made in this test have been abysmal

I hear they're looking at using hawkeye exclusively in some tennis matches coming up P, what's your view on that

Quote Originally Posted by jarro
    I hear they're looking at using hawkeye exclusively in some tennis matches coming up P, what's your view on that  
    I haven't been watching the Hopman Cup, but I think they are using it for the first time there, when decisions are appealed.
    It's making the linespeople look worse than what they are when Hawkeye declares the ball is in after a little bit of ball fluff catches the outer edge of the line.

Although it is probably easier for Hawkeye to track the balls path in tennis, because it doesn't make assumptions about the bounce of the ball, like it does in cricket.

I believe the US Open is going ahead with using the technology later this year.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Ponting just given NOT OUT with the Channel 9 replay showing the ball hitting half way up middle stump. Another good decision.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Hussey gorne
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. h.s.t.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and Gates.

Wavemaker\'s Golflink

Hussey gone. Ponting about to get yet another century.

Here is a real test for Symonds.

Blog Entries

Is it just me or is Andre Nel a great breathe of fresh air for test cricket? He is quite a character. He has just brought the crowd right back into the game, a great entertainer.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinglauncher
    Ponting just given NOT OUT with the Channel 9 replay showing the ball hitting half way up middle stump. Another good decision.
    More evidence of the low standard of umpiring in the Cricket world now, is have neutral umpires that important when the best umpires are from a country playing. It means at teh moment Australia can't get teh best umpires in their test matches as the top 2 rated umpires in the world are Taufnell & Hair.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

great ton to Punter =D>

more ordinary umpiring.

I'm generally against the move to refer decisions, but these guys are doing themsleves no favours.
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

My heart sank when I heard that Clowden and Duh were umpiring this test.

LBW is now decided at random. We might as well just toss a coin now after an appeal. Disgraceful.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Senior Member Major Winner

Well i was on for Symonds to get less than 25 in the 3rd test (2 innings combined). Firmly on track.

Averages are just that - for a reason. If someone told him "we want to be 450 by stumps" he would have made a big ton, but he's not capable of a looong innings. Mind you, 75+ minutes and it was a solid 12.

Hodge's dismissal late last night was Bevan-esque. Never seen someone so uncomfortable with a short ball, mind you it was a ripper from Nel, right into his ribs.

Scenario 1 - We roll the Boks for 120-150 after MacGill and Warne go through them, game on. This also involves inspiring captaincy from Ponting who hasn't shown that he's capable of manufacturing wickets.

Scenario 2 - Boring draw with the Bok's batting us out of the game (as per their style).

Scenario 3 - We get rolled for 180 after another middle-order collapse (read - Symo, Gilly and Hodge fail, tail fails to wag and bail them out) to lose by 100+ runs.

I think Scenario 1 is a chance if we can get Smith and Kallis early tomorrow. 2 full days (with catchup time to be played), a result is still a big chance. Skull called 4 sessions to bowl us out on this pitch - and he is the guru.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

I dont fancy Australlias chances of chasing 250, which would probably be a ground record.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake
    I dont fancy Australlias chances of chasing 250, which would probably be a ground record.
    Considering in '94 they couldn't get to 117, i think they are slim.

Mind you, a certain bloke by the name of Cronje was in the Sth African team then........
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

A run chase of around 260 was the record in the 4th innings at the SCG.
    Keep in mind that South Africa don't really have a quality spinner.

Thread Information