Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Anchored!!!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by SundayHack View Post
    After my CoC reaming over the weekend and 12months on from my lowest point I am now anchored. Golf can eat a bag of dicks. #hater4lifr
    It will have you primed for being the first 2 Time Vic Champ. Except the missus will probably beat you...

Three flags in the last 5 have saved me from hitting anchor. Whew.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

On my way to being anchored. Lowest was 5.3, now 7.3. Bunch of low flag rounds about to come off.

I blame the mental scar from club champs for my slump in form. Only shot 2 rounds over 30 points since then.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I get the feeling that I might regret not getting out for at least a few comp rounds a year, to get the anchor point moved at least a little.

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Realisation that I won't be able to get to my anchor. The handicap system just doesn't seem to reflect my play.

I've broken 80 twice in 20 rounds, broken 32 points only twice in 20 rounds, and yet my handicap was only gone up 2 shots.

There is 0 enjoyment having consistently less than 30 points struggling to break 90, and yet im still classified as a '4' marker. Complete BS

It has begun. 6.1 to 6.4 today. My last 10 rounds back to Dec '15 are played to 9.9 or worse with 2 flags, so I've got 6 flags to chop away in the next 10 round, including the next two.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Realisation that I won't be able to get to my anchor. The handicap system just doesn't seem to reflect my play.

I've broken 80 twice in 20 rounds, broken 32 points only twice in 20 rounds, and yet my handicap was only gone up 2 shots.

There is 0 enjoyment having consistently less than 30 points struggling to break 90, and yet im still classified as a '4' marker. Complete BS
    I feel your pain. I struggle to break 80 around Cabra but still play off 4 or 5. Maybe you should do what I did and take up snowboarding

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Working my way around Bangkok massage shops

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post

The main reason I walked away from my membership. Lost total enjoyment for the game (competition).
    I enjoy just the social rounds now so much better.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Isn't competition just a cheaper social round?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Exactly

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I think I could play a variety of courses around the coast for less than my membership plus comp fees. However all games wouldn't be as good a course as where I play now.

I will probably look at doing more trips and less weekly games in the coming years.

Socially, I mean playing once every 4-6 weeks with the guys from here.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Exactly
    eye of the beholder stuff. So many walk away over pencil marks on a score card.

I can understand getting frustrated and walking away, if you keep playing poorly by your own standards, but not because the handicap isn't where you think it should be.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I think if you're worried about your handicap then it's only going to go downhill from there. I couldn't care less where my handicap is, because it doesn't affect what i do on the course. I play for fun, the handicap is just something that's kept when i play comp. If you expect to play to your handicap a lot, then you definitely won't.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

I don't think majority expect to play to their handicap every week or every time they play.
    When I played, I believed a pass mark to be around 30 points, 35 or above I played well.
    Yes, it plays on your mind and enjoyment of the game when you don't achieve over 28 points for nearly 2 years hence why I walked away playing in any sort of comp golf.
    I feel so much happier spending my few grand a year from subs playing around Asia (and I don't mean playing golf).
    Does the handicap system need a change? Is the average of your best 10/12 games the way to go, or an average of your 5 best and 5 worst. I know this may open it up to tractor drivers, but for the majority of people trying their best the current system doesn't seem fair. No system is perfect.

What does other people believe is a pass mark to their score?

Why not just look at your gross scores? The handicap is just a manufactured number attempting to even the field.

Could look at gross scores I guess. What would you give yourself if picked up? 1 shot, 2 shots, 5 shots?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I want to and expect to play to my handicap or better every time I play comp . I will accept 30 to 35 pts as being ok but will go and work on what caused me to not have 36 pts . Needless to say the last few months of crap has been very frustrating. I did have 38 pts last week and was still disappointed because I didn’t hit it all that well .

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Could look at gross scores I guess. What would you give yourself if picked up? 1 shot, 2 shots, 5 shots?
    Yeah, I had that problem on my first round back this week. I played a couple of shit holes that in my mind were a couple of strokes worse than what the stableford indicated. At the same time, I played more aggressive to try and get that one point on a hole.

I guess on the day during the comp, I did consider the handicap, but it didn't define my end thoughts about how I played.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    I want to and expect to play to my handicap or better every time I play comp . I will accept 30 to 35 pts as being ok but will go and work on what caused me to not have 36 pts . Needless to say the last few months of crap has been very frustrating. I did have 38 pts last week and was still disappointed because I didn’t hit it all that well .
    So grumpy!

I failed in my attempt to get the handicap moving out today. I didn't ask what the comp was when I booked in yesterday, and arrived to find that I was playing in a 4BBB Stroke event. I had 12 of the scores on the card too.

So grumpy!
    Not so grumpy today , had +1 and qualified for another matchplay play knockout.

I failed in my attempt to get the handicap moving out today. I didn't ask what the comp was when I booked in yesterday, and arrived to find that I was playing in a 4BBB Stroke event. I had 12 of the scores on the card too.
    Might blow a shot , you can get handicapped when you get on the card 12 times

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Might blow a shot , you can get handicapped when you get on the card 12 times
    Do clubs even bother looking at physical cards after they are scanned through the machine, and become electronic scores, unless you win a prize? I wouldn't think so. Not that it would lower my handicap anyway,

Do clubs even bother looking at physical cards after they are scanned through the machine, and become electronic scores, unless you win a prize? I wouldn't think so. Not that it would lower my handicap anyway,
    They tend to look at the higher / winning scores

Thread Information