Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Skypro or swingbyte 2

Hey just wondering if anyone has been keeping an eye on these or interested in getting one. They have no Australian contacts that I can see. I wouldn't mind giving one a go. Anyone have any info?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

I have just ordered a skypro from golfsmith, was told it would ship last friday but its still marked as unshipped so im guessing they have had delays in production.
    Will do a writeup when it arrives.
    I had the swingbyte 1, it was a good tool for spotting flaws and checking if changes to the swing were working but I went through 3 of them under warranty before finally getting sick of posting the thing back to the company.
    The groove feature is what sold me on the skypro, being able to set a swing paramater (takeaway angle or swing length etc) and getting instant feedback on whether your club is going where you want it to. Hopefully it is as good in practice as it sounds in theory!

Thanks guys. Will be looking forward to reading your review. Great idea if the groove works.
    Last edited by Squidboy; 18th May 2013 at 07:57 AM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Squidboy, hope you know that Skypro only works with iphone/ipads.
    It is not Android compatible, some thing that is not mentioned in clearly in any of their advertising. I wonder how many have found out the hard way?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    I have just ordered a skypro from golfsmith, was told it would ship last friday but its still marked as unshipped so im guessing they have had delays in production.
    Has yours shipped now Jackson? I've received an email overnight to say that mine has shipped. Hopefully here in Perth next Friday.

yeh have the skypro app already, looks impressive. Just like the swingbyte 2 because its the second version and likely to have more bugs sorted.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Just got back to my office from a meeting to find the Skypro sitting on my desk. Shipped on Friday, here in Perth Tuesday. Now to get it charged up and get some time to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxGolf View Post
    Just got back to my office from a meeting to find the Skypro sitting on my desk. Shipped on Friday, here in Perth Tuesday. Now to get it charged up and get some time to try it out.
    Same here, shipped friday and just got an email saying its waiting at the depot for pickup.
    Hopefully get a chance to pick it up and get to the range after work.

reviews guys, let us know how they went. very interested in the results

Didn't get around to picking it up yesterday and now I don't think I'll get time to use it this week, will keep it and a 7 iron in the work ute and try to fit a lunchtime range session in though.

Managed to set the net up in the backyard and have a quick play with the Skypro.
    It didn't like the plastic balls I first attempted it with and wouldn't register a swing but after switching to rubber wilson balls and birdie balls it didn't miss a beat.
    First appearances are its a pretty nifty little unit and should be pretty helpful in making my practice time more effective.
    Seems pretty accurate and picked my main flaws of takeaway too inside and swinging too far past parallel on the backswing. Gave it some exaggerated bad swings (coming over the top, flipping etc) and it showed them. Will test the accuracy somewhat next week by comparing it to video and seeing if it matches what is recorded.
    Groove mode seems fantastic, I like the ability to just pick one thing to work on and ignoring everything else. The only flaw is you have to use one of your own swings as the model, which if your trying to correct a flaw means not too many of your swings are a good model! Apparently this is being changed in the next app update so you can set the parameter to 'groove' from. Tonight I just did a few sets with backswing length as the parameter to groove, managed to pass 'bronze' mode (10 swings in a row within 10 degrees of your target mark) after about 6 attempts.
    Overall im happy with the purchase but will know a bit more when I can get to a range and have a decent session with it, will do a full write up then.

And it broke tonight at the range...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369397787.073772.jpg

Was just hitting 7 irons and heard a rattling sound on impact, looked down and the plastic had split.
    Not impressed at all!
    Will email them and see what they say.

Would not recommend at this stage!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Keep us in the loop I was about to order one

Nudgee Plate /McLeod Cup

The battle field

They are sending me a new one, they informed me that it has been an issue with the early production due to an over tightening of a small screw that holds the body and circuit board together. Problem is resolved apparently, but I would hold off until the faulty batch is well and truly out of circulation.

Some more info on the breakage issue with skypro

Good afternoon everyone,

My name is Adam - I am another developer on the SkyPro product, and work with Gord. Let me begin by thanking everyone for providing us all of the incredibly valuable feedback on their experiences with SkyPro. Your comments have been instrumental in our ongoing development of the product. We are really excited to bring you a better SkyPro experience every day.

I wanted to provide some insight on one major topic this afternoon; the plastic breakages some of you have been experiencing with SkyPro. Gord has spoken on this briefly, but I wanted to dive in just a bit deeper to help you understand what’s happening on our end for this. And furthermore, what we are doing to make sure this issue is fixed.

Let me begin with a bit of background information. Before SkyPro was released it underwent thousands of hours of physical stress testing, however this issue was never discovered. We were baffled when we saw the first case of this damage in the field. Unfortunately, it was with a customer. We were devastated. We immediately began an investigation as top priority, and found the single issue that caused this malfunction. The issue stemmed from ramping up production levels of the SkyPro so quickly. Essentially, the screw underneath the black cap on the orange pod bottom that holds the SkyPro together was being over tightened during assembly. In the diagram below I have highlighted the area of plastic fracture.

When this screw was over torqued - the plastic was fracturing during assembly. Once the plastic was fractured it didn’t take much force at all to break the rest of the plastic open. We never experienced this in testing because we always measured our screw torquing and never over tightened one.

The bigger problem immediately became obvious - we didn’t know how many of the initially assembled SkyPro’s had been over tightened and thus fractured. While production was ramping up we had to make sure we fixed this issue on all fronts. This is what we have done.

Fixing this issue could have been as easy as ensuring no screws were over torqued. However, we wanted to make sure there were more processes in place to ensure this fracturing could no longer take place - even if a screw was accidentally over tightened. In the diagram below I have outlined the four actions we have implemented in the hardware to make sure we don’t encounter the same problem.

Reduced Screw Torque - We ran new, more detailed simulations on the hardware which allowed us to reduce the torque rating of the screw being used. Additionally, we have updated our assembly process to be more precise in tightening the screw to an exact level of torque.
    Rubber Washer - There was a small gap between the orange screw boss and white pod top enclosure. This small gap could potentially amplify vibrations experienced on the SkyPro and weaken the orange screw boss. We closed this gap by inserting a custom rubber washer.
    Increased Boss Support - We wanted to increase the strength of the screw boss that was fracturing. We added some extra support volume of plastic. This would ensure that even if a screw was over tightened - the plastic would not fracture.
    Glass Infused Material - This was a big one. We have upgraded the material composition of our orange bottom plastic. The new material is actually infused with glass and is rated significantly stronger than the previous material.
    Seeing these breakages is very upsetting for us, but I am really happy with the updates on this new hardware. I sincerely apologize to anyone this has caused troubles for. I want to make sure we do everything possible to make things right for you, and get you back Grooving asap.

I hope this helps to provide some insight in to the importance of this matter on our end. If you experience any of these breakages please either message Gord or I, and we will make sure to take care of you straight away.

Thank you again to everyone here that has provided their feedback. Based on your input, we hope to have some new stuff coming out really soon!

If you have any further questions, I would be glad to answer them on here.

Thanks,
    -adam

Hello was really wanted to get this. So Jackson did skypro give you the replacement or Golfsmith?

Quote Originally Posted by Ankush View Post
    Hello was really wanted to get this. So Jackson did skypro give you the replacement or Golfsmith?

Skygolf are replacing it, they are sending out the new unit with a pre-paid postage bag to send back the old one as well, so full credit to them for doing the right thing.
    Disappointing for it to break so soon, but very happy with how willing they have been to correct the problem with as little bother to me as possible.

Anyone else got one yet?

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Got the original one a while ago. I use it with my ipad and the new video feature is pretty good. Will add more later..

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Ordered a swingbyte 2 from golfsmith last week. 25% off couldn't resist. Hopefully arrive soon.

Swingbyte 2 scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Senior Member Major Winner

Anyone using the Skypro or has the novelty worn off?
    Hows the Swingbyte going for thos that went with that one?

Work finally moved me out of the stone age and replaced the old Nokia 3120 with an iphone5 so it's an option for me now.
    Due to get some tax free play money again soon so will be looking at getting one of the devices. Leaning towards the Skypro atm.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Any updates/ reviews on the skypro? I want to get one but they have still not released an Android version
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Thread Information