Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Has Council basically made their mind up already? Sounds serious if you guys are having Save Our Club meetings already.
    Is the lease end date 30 June 2018 or 2019? One of the Jigsaw letters says 2019 but it sounds like Council want to move sooner.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

thanks for the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    How did the meeting go on Wednesday night Mark?
    Fairly good considering. Quick summary is the Golf Course operates until 06/2019 when the lease expires.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Has Council basically made their mind up already?
    No, council has commissioned a report so they can make up their mind later.

Sounds serious if you guys are having Save Our Club meetings already.
    Yep but the correct intention of the meeting was to clarify the operators intentions to the members.

Is the lease end date 30 June 2018 or 2019? One of the Jigsaw letters says 2019 but it sounds like Council want to move sooner.
    The operator has committed to see out the lease until 06/2019. The council cannot force them out sooner. It does seem like that but only because the full council revised one of the committes recommendations, its ended up being poorly worded with that 2018 date left in there. It really means if the operator wants to walk away after that date, council will let them.

I am writing up a detailed review, will have it ready soon - its really quite complex for a bunch of reasons. However one thing is for sure, everyone in the golf industry is talking about it, including from afar, and plenty want to take it over. Everyone I talk to early this week is saying something like "yeah, i jost got off the phone with X who had a meeting with Y, and you are not going to beleive Z ". I am not kidding, this is bigger than Ben Hur.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

An amazing turn around by Gold Coast council in just one month. Helensvale GC site is to remain a golf course. There is no longer any concern for its future.

Announcement from Councillor William Owen-Jones Friday 15/10/2017
    Helensvale Golf Club - update
    At Council, on Friday, the following General Business item was passed unanimously:-
    1. That Jigsaw continues operation of the Helensvale Community Golf Club site until 30th June 2019, as per the current lease agreement.
    2. That the land continues to operate as a golf course facility and there be no further investigations into potential future alternate uses.
    3. In preparation for the conclusion of the current lease arrangement, that planning for a tender process commence to seek an entity for the ongoing management of the golf course and associated facilities.
    4. That the Gold Coast District Golf Association be informed of Council's decision.

My thanks to the representatives from the Gold Coast District Golf Association, the PGA and players who met with the Mayor, Cr Vorster and myself yesterday and voiced strongly their position regarding the need to keep the course open.
    40,000 rounds of golf, 230+ residential houses adjoining the course*, 2,500+ houses in Helensvale.
    Since the initial council decision there has been clear support for golf to continue to be played on this City owned facility.
    It's was indeed very pleasing to see this matter resolved positively.
    From all reports the councils decision was based on overwhelming support from a wide range of interests. Persons not mentioned above, who deserve some recognition for their efforts are, Barry Neill from Gold Coast DIstrict Golf Association, and Wayne Grady from PGA, I am sure there were more.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    An amazing turn around by Gold Coast council in just one month. Helensvale GC site is to remain a golf course. There is no longer any concern for its future.

Announcement from Councillor William Owen-Jones Friday 15/10/2017

From all reports the councils decision was based on overwhelming support from a wide range of interests. Persons not mentioned above, who deserve some recognition for their efforts are, Barry Neill from Gold Coast DIstrict Golf Association, and Wayne Grady from PGA, I am sure there were more.
    Great result!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

This is great news.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Great news. And nice to see the PGA and GCDGA getting involved and supporting as well.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'm sure a lot of people are happy.......

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Apparently they have gone belly up today.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

A lot can happen in 6 months! There's an article in the Gold Coast Bulletin about golfers being locked out, but it's subscriber only so can't read it. MTB hasn't posted in 6 months so whether he'll update or not.....
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

GCCC are sorting out the Tender for the ongoing lease. Probably resolved in a few weeks....

See if the below works. The article and plenty of discussion in the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamOwen...59747767439840

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Is it open for play or not?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's closed. No play. Apparently they do have interested parties that want to takeover but I'd be thinking the longer it stays closed the more it would cost to bring it back up to a playable condition. And then you've got entice people to go back there, and golfers to come up with membership $ again.
    I hope it can re-open and move forward successfully.

There's a small update on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/WilliamOwen...69007589847191

Helensvale Golf Course - Update #1
    Local Ann Rushton, who is the secretary of the bespoke “Helensvale Action Group Inc”, contacted the Bulletin on Thursday with some of her thoughts on the future of the Golf Course.
    The facts are that the two titles that the City owns are:
    1. Approximately 47 hectares in size;
    2. Zoned to facilitate Parks and Recreation (not development);
    3. Subject to flooding and largely not suitable for residential development.

...but thanks anyways to the HAG group for being alarmist, and loose with the facts, once again. 🙄
    The Liquidator met with City Officers last week.
    Whilst there has been contact from other interested parties, there is no easy way forward for the course to re-open in the short term.
    The City is the owner of the freehold and building(s), however all of the plant and equipment that was previously owned by the “members” was transferred to the entity that is in liquidation when the members voted to assign the lease to Jigsaw in 2014.
    City staff are still to resolve access to the site for BASIC maintenance (this is hoped to be sorted early this week).
    Accordingly, by the end of this week a further update will be able to be provided to residents.
    Finally, the next Council meeting is not until the end of April, however the long term future of the site will only be decided after a report is prepared by Officers.

How did they manage to go broke if they had 20 pokies?
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    They mustn't have set the win percentage enough in their favour.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

And spent it on 30 new golf carts with sat nav.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Plenty of clubs heading that way with more one armers than they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Plenty of clubs heading that way with more one armers than they had.
    The licences tend to be pretty valuable. They could have sold them and bought themselves at least a few more years of solvency.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Blog Entries

Jigsaw probably had many other pies as well as the golf course.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Back from the dead. Announced today, by Councillor William Owen-Jones
    https://www.facebook.com/helensvalegolf/

*** Helensvale Golf Course - Update ***

This afternoon the Lifestyle and Community Committee met to discuss a confidential report in regards to the Helensvale Golf Course.

As many residents are aware, since the appointment of a receiver to Jigsaw Community Services Limited in March 2018, the City conducted two separate tender processes in order to seek a lease to manage and operate the golf course.

Whilst there were nine expressions of interest received from the second leasing campaign, most required either a loss of land for development to off-set the golf course costs, or a significant capital outlay from the City to re-build the greens, tees and clubhouse.

Since assuming control of the site, the City has been maintaining the property in a holding pattern, which has seen the 45 hectare site being mowed with the same number of rotations as a standard Council park.

Whilst there has been a number of residents who have indicated a desire to convert the golf course to parkland, natural area and sporting facilities, it would be fair to say that the preference of the majority of residents in Helensvale for the site to remain as a golf course, without further development.

The site has several constraints, with approximately 70% of the property subject to flooding. The site also acts as an important koala habitat area and a linkage to the Coombabah Wetlands.

Since the conclusion of the second campaign, a number of additional proposals have been received. In late March 2019 an experienced golf course operator approached the City with a proposal to bring the course and associated facilities up to a suitable standard on the basis of a long-term tenure without City investment.

I am very pleased to advise that the committee has recommended to Council that negotiations be entered into to secure a long term (25 years) lease over the entire Helensvale Golf Course site on the basis of the on-going management and operation of the land as a golf course.

It is anticipated that it may take the new operator several months to return the course to a playable standard, with the proposed new golf operations potentially commencing prior to the end of 2019.

The recommendation of the committee will now go to full Council on 13 June 2019, where hopefully it will be supported by the majority of Councillors.

I appreciate that this has been a long and drawn out matter, which has been of a major concern for many residents over the past year.

Should anyone wish to contact me to discuss, please feel free to do so.

I look forward to working with a new experienced operator (and will hopefully be able to facilitate an information meeting with residents and the operator in the coming months).

--
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

This is good news.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

1. AndyP (pencil)

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)