Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Dealing with a cheat.

Ok, thankfully, I have been bumped to the second last group so I won't have to deal with this first hand. I am curious how some of the "experienced" guys would handle this.

Yesterday, in the first round of the KB Classic, I was paired with a 20 year old, who seemed to be a decent bloke.

On the 9th, he hit one off the path that bounced towards the range big time. His provisional was stuck to two feet. He was looking for the first, which wasn't a smart play. I pointed out a ball in the deep bush and he went to check it out, claimed it was a range ball and pocketed it. It looked pretty white and shiny to me.

At the time, I should have done something, but I was too focused on my round.

It bugged me from that point on as I should have asked to see it.

Later on the back 9, he hit one way right on a par three. He ended up finding it about 10-20m left of where I was sure it was. As he called that he found it, I turned and saw him with it in his hand, under a bush.

I confronted him and said that he couldn't lift his ball without marking it and that it also appeared that he was moving it out of the bush. He denied moving it, took the penalty and didn't talk to me for the rest of the round.

In hindsight, he was probably dropping a ball under that bush.

Speaking to a few people after the round, it appears that he has a reputation for this, but has never officially been caught. I was also told by a committee member that he was happy that I was golfing with him as I could "police" it. A little advance warning would have had me better prepared.

If you were golfing with him in the final group, what would you do?

Do you just watch him like a hawk? I had planned on having a little chat with him, but it might have thrown me off my own game. I have reported it all to the club and suggested that they speak with his playing partners and possibly him as it will be a lot better than having me do it.

I hate cheats and the little bastard is leading.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Problem with you policing it is you can;t worry about your own game. If the committee is concerned they should send someone out with him to watch.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

All low markers are cheats in one form or another and none more so than the righteous ones.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Petey is correct in saying you don't want ruin your own round.

Like you alluded too, it would have been nice to get a heads up from the club.

I would have asked to see the pill.... I am lucky in that I have non confrontational presences in person, which can be an advantage in hard to handle situations. If he is doing the wrong thing, & playing at a high level, he deserves everything he gets. You and your peers are the victims, not him.

As for today's round.... I word in his ear, just before tee off should be enough to bring him back to the field, quickly.

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    All low markers are cheats in one form or another and none more so than the righteous ones.
    Says the human sandbag.... At least you do it in a way that is endearing.

In tennis you have to confront your opponents to survive and yet in golf it seems a huge deal. To me you have cheated the field by not having the balls to deal with his indiscretions.

Your word against his in both cases, and his word always wins. He needs to be caught by more than one person or he confesses. Frankly it is a distraction I would not want to have while playing. Magic pencil cheats are easy to catch out, this is different.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Was he using a long/belly putter?

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Your word against his in both cases, and his word always wins. He needs to be caught by more than one person or he confesses. Frankly it is a distraction I would not want to have while playing. Magic pencil cheats are easy to catch out, this is different.
    Blakey, I don't think JC seems overly excited by the distraction either.

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    Blakey, I don't think JC seems overly excited by the distraction either.
    I hate the fact it is even in my mind. No long putter, amazingly.

In tennis you have to confront your opponents to survive and yet in golf it seems a huge deal. To me you have cheated the field by not having the balls to deal with his indiscretions.
    What is tennis?

He is only cheating himself on all other occasions except in competition like this. I have played with a few guys that manage to find their ball every time, no matter how far into the bunge they have hit it. It shits me because I might just miss the fairway and it is never seen again. Have a word to him before he tees off today and let him know everyone else, including the match committee is suspicious of him cheating.....then shoot the lights out!

It took me by surprise and I would have dealt with it at the time had I fully clued it. I was too focussed on what I was doing to really grasp it until too late.

I had no issues calling him a cheat to his face and penalising him the stroke that I could later in the round.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I hate the fact it is even in my mind. No long putter, amazingly.
    when I caught a magic pencil a couple of years ago, I was sick in the guts for at least a day. I think I would be headless if I saw someone do a miro.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

when I caught a magic pencil a couple of years ago, I was sick in the guts for at least a day. I think I would be headless if I saw someone do a miro.
    Explain this magic pencil Blakey.

We had a guy in our group that started doing it, we kept two cards one was his real score and the other what he said he had, at the end of the round we asked him which one he wanted to hand in

Quote Originally Posted by squishy View Post
    We had a guy in our group that started doing it, we kept two cards one was his real score and the other what he said he had, at the end of the round we asked him which one he wanted to hand in
    Brilliant!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I watched a guy yesterday put his putter down and get ready for his putt. When he did this his club moved the ball, he didn't even flinch, just moved the putter a bit closer and hit the ball. He was a high capper and all during the round the group kep saying, were not playing or sheep stations . I didn't know what to say or do, week as piss on my part really

Epilogue: beat the cheat in a countback for runner up. Good thing I dinged him a stroke.

He didn't look too pleased when I was accepting my new titty carry bag, Sony iPod dock and 6 pack. I did give him a sly smile while giving my.speech.

Karma is a bitch.

Senior Member Major Winner

Interesting ^.
    The way I read some of your posts on here I got the impression you wouldn't have any problems with being confrontational.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Nice work. Cheaters never prosper. Hope there wasn't a third place that someone missed out on because of him. How much you want for the stand bag I am chasing one.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Epilogue: beat the cheat in a countback for runner up. Good thing I dinged him a stroke.

He didn't look too pleased when I was accepting my new titty carry bag, Sony iPod dock and 6 pack. I did give him a sly smile while giving my.speech.

Karma is a bitch.
    Ouch that would of hurt, nice pick up for you too well done

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

We've got a resident C grade cheat. There have been so many complaints but the clubs never suspends him. He was the one i played with in my first month years ago and told in here how he was raking balls out from behind tree's when one could barely see him.

Won the c grade open a year or two ago, wonder how that happened.

Early last year 3 of us were going around the sat comp, medal day. I wasn't marking his card, a guy i play with often (no homo) off about 19 was. Anyway the cheat was having a good round for sure. We started on the back 9. I checked how he was going at the halfway break, well on target for around a 62ish net if he kept going.

Come the front 9 i thought i'd better keep a minor eye on him. First 4 holes he went well. 5th was index 1. He totally duffed his second into bushes and had all sorts of troubles in the next 170 meters. He ended up out of a bunker and on for 6, two putting. I listened to the marker ask him what he had, out popped 6 ffs.

Up the next 140m par 3 i walked along with his marker and informed him of what score he had. He said he hadn't noticed. I took him thru all 8 shots 3 times until he was absolutely 100% happy in his own mind what had happened and what had been scored. He said i'll pull him up between holes shortly.

For whatever reason he waited thru 6, 7 and 8. The cheat scored well on these too. On the 9th tee his marker said what did you say you had on 5. He said 6. Marker said no you didn't you had an 8. He started to argue so i came in and replayed his entire 8 shots another two or three times. He said i'll take a 7 but not a frigging 8. Marker said you WILL take an 8 because that's what you frigging well had. It got a bit heated but was 2 on 1 regardless.

He promptly duffed his tee ball, whinged about telling him when we did and proceeded to take about a triple or quad. With these 2 extra shots and the last hole disaster brought on by us he still had about a 68 net. We cost him about 5 shots imo. Thankfully he was beaten.

Why he does it i will never know. He's actually ok to golf with excepting the cheating and used to hold a position of power with the vets. Every time he has a good score people totally disregard it and say he would have cheated. They are probably right. I'd be surprised if a single round goes by where he doesn't rake a ball or claim a shot less.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I reckon the cheaters cheat because they put too much of their self worth in their golf scores.
    When I first started playing golf I used to play with a lot of older blokes at my old club and watch them nudge the ball off bad lies or away from roots or from behind a tree.
    Strangely it didn't worry me as much when i first started playing golf and we were in different grades. I was b grade they were c or d. If I saw it now I'd call it straight away. We know how hard the game is. You work hard to improve and they take that away by cheating.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Congratulations on your win as your the grinner and he can please himself.

Thread Information