Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default NSW Matchplay final, December 4 2005, Jimandr wins 1 up!

Vince and I are in relative agreement over venue and date, but he cannot confirm his availability until after the weekend.

There are two possible options.

1.  Sunday 20 November, venue may be New Brighton if Amanda is available and can get us on.  Vince isn't sure yet whether he can play this day.

When Amanda reads this I'm sure she can confirm or deny.

I would've liked Liverpool, but there is a small matter of a NSW Open final round being held that day at Liverpool.  If it were Qld I'm sure their professionals would step aside for OzGolf, but I'm not sure we are held in such high regard in the NSW Golf community.  

2.  Vince can't play the 27th, so the next chance is Sunday 4 December.  If the 20th doesn't happen, I'm certain we could get Liverpool booked for this day, possibly with ALD's help.

This reserve day may require approval from the higher powers, but they are reasonable men

I won't add the registration option until Vince confirms the 20th or the 4th.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: NSW Matchplay final, sometime before or on December 4 20

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    This reserve day may require approval from the higher powers, but they are reasonable men
    Your winking emoticon has no affect on me.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Vince is/was free to play this Sunday at Cumberland. What happened? Did you forfeit, Jim?

You guys work out the date and the venue. Liverpool sound like a good place to hold the NSW Ozgolf Matchplay Tournament final.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I am now confirmed as being available for the 4th December. Iwould prefer Liverpool and agree with Jono that it would be a great venue to host the final.

NOw its up to Jim to add the registration and for us to generate as much interest as possible. Come on who wants to play Liverpool on the 4th? Lets get as many NSW guys together and have our pre Chrsitmas get together and bash especially for those of us not going to the championships the week before.

Maybe we'll have a chance to toast Trung, Jono or TS as OzGolf Championfor 2005.

Let the banter (read sledging) begin.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hi all.

Jim - sorry I didn't get to this sooner.  Good luck to both combatants Let me know if you still need to try and get spots for Sunday. I haevn't been around much since Brad's out of golf, his Grandma is on the verge of passing away, my thesis has gone out of control, trying to finish my Christmas shopping and organising everything for our big trip to africa.

I'll be enjoying Xmas on Sunday the 4th - so if we can play early I'll be there.

Sorry mate... engagement party on Sat 3rd Dec... There is no way I can be awaked for the next day.

Vince, I can't make it that day either ...

I can do the following Sunday ... i.e. 11th.

Anyway, good luck to you both. I am sure it will be a good match.

It's bad news that the two NSW top posters can't make it, but life will go on.

Liverpool is my preferred venue, and Vince is happy as well. I haven't played there since the last Golf Day, and Vince hasn't been there. It should be in great nick, as the NSW Open is on there this weekend.

I will send PM's to ALD and Grunt (who'll be at Liverpool Wednesday) to see if we can secure a tee time at Liverpool on Sunday 4 December. Beggars can't be choosers on tee times. If we can get two slots together, either early or late, I suggest we should take them.

If we can keep New Brighton up our sleeves as a reserve venue that would be good (Thanx Amanda ).

It's too early for banter. I'll wait and see what tee time we get.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Now that the date for the final has been set, what about the winner's prize? I remember something about everyone putting in $2 per match (ie. each round). Has this been happening? If so, have we got enough $$ for a trophy?

Jono - I did collect some money - I'll see what I can do about a trophy. I'll post back tomorrow about how much is in there.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

It has been that long since I played I can't remember giving any money. By the way I spoke with the pro @Liverpool today the 4th should not be a problem, sheet comes out next weekend.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I'm playing that day at the Vintage with my Dad at 7am if you guys want to join us......We are the first group off and there is lots of room in the groups following.......
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I will play subject to final approval from the family..... with a new shortened swing that seems acceptable at the moment.... although I think I am hitting my 8 iron shorter than Trung

Senior Member Major Winner

I reckon a top shelf course needs to be the venue. Camden Lakeside or Riverside.

I'll check the diary but i'd like to make it to this one.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    I reckon a top shelf course needs to be the venue. Camden Lakeside or Riverside.

Dan, I'm pretty sure the combatants have agreed on Liverpool, cmon mate, you know you wanna have another crack at it !!!!

oh, and I wanna see that there is some of this ability you have been telling us about. I still have Liverpool and your performance there burnt in my mind !!!

Pete

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

IS that a personal dislike for Liverpool Dan because I think home of the NSW Open gives it some prestige.

Went out there on Friday and followed a group around. I really hope that they open up the fairways or else I could end up with no fairway stats. They were narrow, even one of the caddies was commenting on it.

Pete, great to see you back. Shame iot couldn't have been a couple of weeks earlier and you could've possibly be playing here for the championship title.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Quote Originally Posted by Virgal_Tracy
    Pete, great to see you back. Shame iot couldn't have been a couple of weeks earlier and you could've possibly be playing here for the championship title.
    Vince, a very abbreviated swing has allowed a comeback, I just hope it isn't an abbreviated comeback....

I have had a couple of games, one pain free and one not so, see what happens in a couple of weeks.

Pete

I echo Vince's comments regarding the return of 3oneday. Just couldn't stay away and rehab properly could you

Actually your presence and Dan's (hopefully) might complicate the tee time booking scenario.

I PM'ed AussieLongDriver in the hope that he could use his influence to get a booking confirmed before the sheet is opened up to other visitors, but he hasn't responded. Maybe he doesn't visit the site much nowadays.

Otherwise we'll have to wait until the weekend, and we might struggle to get two groups together unless we play at the end of the field. That wouldn't worry me, but I know others have only ever seen 5'oclock at a golf course from the bottom of their sixth schooner.

I'll call on Saturday afternoon when it is hopefully quiet and see what happens.

I also echo Vince's comment re the NSW Open. I went there Saturday, and the first cut of fairway was very narrow indeed. Mind you, the pro hitting area is 50m further than my driving area, the first cut was still short and the lies looked good to me, and they'll probably cut the rough back anyway. The greens looked terrific.

For Dan's benefit, I suspect both Camden Lakeside and Riverside Oaks are possible venues for our 4 round strokeplay challenge next year. My last visits to each place yielded 24pts and 19pts. Not sure whether I want to go back or not

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan

Dan, I'm pretty sure the combatants have agreed on Liverpool, cmon mate, you know you wanna have another crack at it !!!!

oh, and I wanna see that there is some of this ability you have been telling us about. I still have Liverpool and your performance there burnt in my mind !!!  

Pete
    You were the poor unfortunate to have me as your partner that day

Ok, Liverpool could be the goods. You lot make the decisions, after all i am just tagging along. But Liverpool has it's flaws... following Lonard's group last year, they were complaining about the bunkers too.

By complicating the tee times, are you inferring that we should stay away?

I can take a challenge. I'm ready for Liverpool!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

After playing in the pro am before the NSW Open last week the only complaint I had was the poor conditions of the bunkers. I commented this to Tony Carolan (the pro that I played with) and he said that "they would fix them up before tomorrow". I don't know if they did but Tony did miss the cut
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Bunkers were crap there last time we played, and when I played a few months ago they were rubbish. You wouldn't think it would be so hard

I think last time Amanda organised a game she got 2 or 3 groups at the tail of the field in daylight savings. I don't think there will be a prob getting at least one full group, but let me know the time when or if you get one and I'll confirm fully....

Pete

Bunkers were a problem when we played there - the first (10th hole) i was knee deep in puffy white sand, but some of them had barely enough sand to cover the clay bottom.

As mentioned a shot was play on the 17th from one of the front bunkers (can't remember the pro's name... Summers?) - he got it very thin and looked to his feet and kicked the ground - there was barely any sand. His caddy shook his head and shrugged. It's always been a problem at that course - which of course is why I don't rate it, not (just) because it owned me last time!

Problem has arisen, and i'd need to be in an early tee time on the 4th. Christmas Party - Lawn Bowls. An omen?

Dan,

I want you to play. Unlike some others, I actually enjoy your company on and around the course . I'd prefer us to have two groups. The more the merrier.

However, to get two groups together our choice will be limited. We'll just have wait and see what happens when I make the Saturday call.

I'm used to bunkers with hardly any sand (which doesn't mean I like 'em ), and I have to say from my gallery view following Spencer Levin on Saturday that the bunkers didn't look very inviting. Having said that, each time one of the players was in one, they had no trouble playing a quality bunker shot.

Which others? Oh, hang on, i don't give a crap

In all seriousness though - a) I'd like to make it to the day, but we have a 2pm Xmas party (thinking 7-9am'ish tee time works), and b) I really do have a score to settle with Liverpool. The bunkers don't phase me... they're hazards.. we're not meant to be in them anyway.

But the question remains... should Liverpool bunkers be RAKED??

If i can't make it to this event, then we need another one soon enough.

I rang Liverpool this afternoon. "The computer" won't accept bookings from visitors more than one week in advance, so we can't get in until tomorrow. The nice lady in the pro shop did have a look at the sheet, and she told me there were quite a few spots late, from about 11.30 onwards, but nothing early. Sorry Dan.

I'll call again in the morning, and get one group booked. I suspect there won't be more starters for a late tee time than the original four listed.

Thread Information