Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default NSW Matchplay final, December 4 2005, Jimandr wins 1 up!

Vince and I are in relative agreement over venue and date, but he cannot confirm his availability until after the weekend.

There are two possible options.

1.  Sunday 20 November, venue may be New Brighton if Amanda is available and can get us on.  Vince isn't sure yet whether he can play this day.

When Amanda reads this I'm sure she can confirm or deny.

I would've liked Liverpool, but there is a small matter of a NSW Open final round being held that day at Liverpool.  If it were Qld I'm sure their professionals would step aside for OzGolf, but I'm not sure we are held in such high regard in the NSW Golf community.  

2.  Vince can't play the 27th, so the next chance is Sunday 4 December.  If the 20th doesn't happen, I'm certain we could get Liverpool booked for this day, possibly with ALD's help.

This reserve day may require approval from the higher powers, but they are reasonable men

I won't add the registration option until Vince confirms the 20th or the 4th.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
    late, from about 11.30 onwards, but nothing early.  Sorry Dan.
    the later the better then, might as well have some of the day to do my chores !!!!

Mind you, I am still to discuss the approval with the wife, better get that sorted !!!

Pete

OK, we are booked.

1149am at Liverpool for the four players who registered earlier.

Took a couple of attempts to get through. A lot of rain in western Sydney this morning. The guy thought I was another caller cancelling out for today, and was happy to take the booking as a change from all his other conversations.

To my surprise, the comp was still on today. My recollection is that Liverpool floods quite easily. Hope the rain stops before next weekend.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Local Christmas party for me that day, must pull pin, sorry guys, good luck...

Pete

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

I'm in see you Sunday Jim.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Blog Entries

Anyone else going to join us?
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    Anyone else going to join us?
    Grunt, you could send a PM to Donald Duck ???

Blog Entries

LOL Pete, Had a good week of golf planned and the 1st game is cancelled so far, reckon I might get to play 3 out of 5.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    the 1st game is cancelled .

I'm really sorry to hear that, Grant. (No sarcasm intended)

It looks like even Grunt's PM to D Duck didn't get a response, so we're not going to get a fourth player.

I'll do an illicit check from my work computer around lunchtime Friday. If someone hasn't miraculously appeared by then, I'll call the club to cancel Pete's name and give a local the chance for a game.

I'm sure the three of us will have fun comparing our games to the pro's we saw in the NSW Open a few weeks ago.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Well this is it. I know it's a week late but Sunday sees the final OzGolf matchplay event for 2005. Victoria and queensland titles have already been awarded and now it is our turn.

Jim and I tackle not only each other but the Liverpool Golf Course for the title with GRant as the marker for the day.

Mindgames would have me saying that Jim must start favourite as the low marker and that he is playing regularly. I've only been able to play once a month since the birth of Adam so I am off my game a little (mind you the 50 odd lessons I have had may help; No seriously; unfortunately none of them for golf).

I will also be debuting a new putter that could make or break the round if I can get the ball onto the green which is no guarantee after having walked the course during the NSW Open. I may have to revert to punching 5 irons down the centre of the fairway so I don't end up in the long and bushy stuff.

Also jim's new driver must've added 50 yds onto his drives so I will be hitting first al day. (is that enough to convince everyone including Jim I am the underdog)

Should be a great day if the weather holds. Although Jim did take the reins to book and we have got a midday tee off as we all know jim doesn't like early starts so therefore he is further ahead again.

No, in the words of the tooheys add "its all good" and I get to play my second quality course for the year after playing Riverside Oaks earlier.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Vince, kick his ar$e mate  

Pete

Go Jim :P
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Major Winner

Go the winner!
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    Go the winner!
    How's that picket feel up ya butt Fishy

Terry.
    Smugmug

"Your Mamma wouldn't fit in the can Bro"

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by terryand
    Go the winner!

Terry.
    No splinters.. no splinters... no splinters.....
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by terryand
    Go the winner!

Terry.
    Golf will be the winner !!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Go Vince

I can see those who don't know that Friday night is drinking night have started some further discussion without me.

Other very significant developments also took place yesterday without me.

I thought I was doing the right thing by cancelling Pete's name to let a local play.

Later on Friday, Jono declared his availability. The spot had already been filled by a local, but Jono was desperate to play, so he showed initiative by rebooking the foursome for 1245pm.

I was out of contact all Friday night, and then all Saturday morning. Judging by Jono's message left, and number of missed calls in my phone, a degree of panic had set in.

All's well that ends well.

I'm happy to have a low handicap witness, but he'd better support me I could see a scenario where Grunt would sympathise with his high handicap colleague, making me feel a bit lonely on the course.

Onto Vince's highly provocative post. How dare he declare himself the underdog :P

I'm giving him 13 shots. He is capable of going well under his handicap. Even if he racks up 9 pars and 9 double bogeys, I'm in trouble. Higher handicappers often perform better in matchplay, as their focus is directed more on a shot by shot scenario than on the total score. Grunt's matchplay performances this year support this.

I could easily be playing Ok but get beaten 6 & 5.

Besides, new putters always perform well the first couple of times.

My game plan, such as I have one, is to ignore the matchplay score and just play a normal game. The match will look after itself. As long as I enjoy the game, and hopefully play well, I'm not too concerned whether I win or lose.

Boys, see you about 12.15pm tomorrow. (Can someone bring a camera).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr
     (Can someone bring a camera).
    I will bring one Jim.

By the way I have not decleared any favouritism due to me selfishly not being worried about the Matchplay but the conquering of the Liverpool course after it bit me a little in the NSW Open Pro Am. I am hoping to continue my attack on getting to 18 by xmas.
    Also the fact I was beaten in the first round doesn't help

Best of luck to the both of you and may the best ozgolfer win.

See you all tomorrow.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Jim,

It was not so much in "panic" but in utter frustration.       Why don't you take your mobile phone when you go out drinking?  Is it that serious?  

Anyway, my call to the Liverpool proshop was made after getting in touch with Vince and Grant ... so I had majority vote.  

Thanks guys for allowing me to change the tee times.  I've been getting up around 11 with my alternate week night shifts so the new tee time works well ...

BTW, what's all this "I'm the underdog" reverse psychology BS?  If it was Trungy, he'd be saying "you got no chance, bitch" ... or something along those lines.  

I hope the weather stays clear and whoever wins, I think it should be a great arvo of golf.

Blog Entries

Well the winner is.......

I will leave it to the others to write up the result :P .
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Thank you to Grunt for leaving it to me to announce the result and get some of the stories in first.

Jimandr defeated Virgal Tracy 1 up.

To talk about the good stuff first, we were all square after 16, I wasn't giving away a shot on 17, making me favourite. We both played one of our best holes of the day on the par 5 17th for regulation pars, so still all square at 18, which is a 150m par 3, water on the right.

I had the honour, and hit easily my best shot of the day, a 5 iron to 5 feet (but it looked closer). i'm giving away a shot, so all is not lost. Vince folded under the pressure, sliced his iron into the water. Penalty, then an excellent recovery to 20 feet. My 5 footer is downhill, no gimme, so if Vince holes and I miss we go down 19.

Vince gave it a good run, but it didn't go in. I had two putts to win, almost didn't need them but my downhill tricker stopped on the edge of the hole.

More detail of the game.

We both played poorly. I hit the ball well on the front nine but putted very badly. I was one down after 4, then two up after 9, then one down after 15. At this point I thought I was no chance, giving away shots on 16 and 18 and playing badly. But Vince gave away the 16th, and the rest is history.

Even if we weren't playing matchplay, this would be one of the most enjoyable days I've ever had while playing badly. Vince, Grunt and Jono were great company, and we all took the many injustices Liverpool gave us in great humour. Lots of laughter in the face of adversity. Jono took lots of photo's, some of which do tell a thousand words. i won't tell the full story of my injustice at the 10th until after the photo's are posted, if they turn out OK.

I do need to tell the full story of the 7th. Jono and I hit really good drives down the middle to 95m out. Grunt took on the left side trees and lost again, but rebounded on the next fairway, and Vince hit it way left somewhere. I didn't even see this ball.

Grunt 'nailed' his attempted recovery too well, into the water right side of the fairway. Penalty, then fourth just short, good chip, tap in for 6. I hit a good wedge that didn't really bite, but safely to the back of the green. Jono hit a good looking shot, but just short. He chipped well and tapped in for par.

After a long search we don't find Vince's ball. He goes back to the tee (I wouldn't have bothered) and slices into water on the right. Stubbornly, he takes another penalty, but hacks it short. The hole is over, so I putt out. FOUR putts later, if Vince can get up and down, he can still square the hole. But he didn't.

The actual scores, for Blakey's benefit:

Jono 32
    Jimandr 28
    Virgal Tracy 27
    Grunt 25.

Liverpool was a very stern test of our golfing skills today. Fairways were Ok, but the rough was very deep. The most amazing thing was that all bunkers were out of play, declared GUR. They had been flooded during the rain, and hadn't gone close to recovering. If you landed in one on the full, usually it would jump out again.

All in all, a very enjoyable day. Wait for some photo's and more stories may be told.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the report Jim and thanks for the great game it was a thrill to be there, funny thing was I had no idea who was winnign or losing almost the whole way round, you may have noticed with all the ? about who was winning.

Your shot on 18 was pure class, real A graders shot. I really enjoyed the day, but just maybe I am a c grader that more often than not now hits the ball like a b grader. therefore the over clubbed shots that I had today.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Firstly congrats to Jim for pulling out the best shot of the day when it counted. Jim was right it wasn't pretty golf but good matchplay stuff for the full 18.

The bunkers being out of play wasn't an issue for all but Jono becuase none of us could keep a ball in them.

I really think that the 7th was my undoing. My first shot was nailed but unfortunately left. Couldn't find the ball and the only logical place it could have been was in the water but not having seen it go in and other possible options I had to reload. Ruch it and slice into the water. All this time not knowing that Jim had taken a 4 putt.

Almost drove into the water on the 17th after jim saying it wasn't reachable and then the real story of my day, being unable to get the ball from the tee on the par 3's.

GRant and Jono were great company and we all commented on how Grant's ball striking has improved this year. He was flying greens after hitting them pure.

If anyone hears Jono even consider selling his R7 give him a clip over the ears. Missed 2 fairways max with it. And his $25 putter and reverse grip was grewat outside 5 ft but average inside it.

Would love to tackle Liverpool again as I feel I left a lot of points out there. Thanks guys for a great day. Lets bring on the next matchplays as I now have a point to prove.

Congrats again Jim. A worthy winner.
    Thunderbirds are Go!

my record of shame

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Well done, Jim. Good to hear that it was an enjoyable match.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Thanks for the day guys.  I was the last one there as usual, and saw Jim, Vince, and Grunt vigorously warming up (ie. standing around and yapping away ...    )

I've still got the flu from last Sunday, so I was drugged up on medications.  The whole day was a bit of a blur for me, so I'll just shut up and show you the pics ...

Here are some swing shots taken during the day.  Thought I had taken more, but apparently I hadn't.  

Grant

Vince

Jono

Jim

I tried to emulate Tezza and take some snapshots.  Failed miserably.    Everyone seemed to look DOWN whenever I pointed the camera at them ...    

This is Vince on the 7th.  After Jim had put his 2nd shot on the green, we failed to find Vince's tee shot.  He went back to the tee and reloaded, and as he was rushing, he put his 3rd shot into the water.  This is him playing his 5th.  It finished 15 meters short of the green.  Jim ended up 4 putting (I thought I had monopoly in that department ...    ) for a 6, so Vince had a chance to halve the hole.  Unfortunately, he failed to get up and down.  This was probably the turning point of the match.

Bunkers were really sh!t today.  In fact, so much so that they decided to make them GUR for the day.  The sand (little amount that was there) was really compact and wet and the balls that went into the bunkers, more often than not, came back out.  Except mine ...  

Anyway, Jim hit a reasonable second shot into the tenth green but pulled it a fraction and was heading for the left bunker.  Expected to find it there and get a free drop, but instead, we found his ball had run through the bunker and ended up nestled between a tree trunk and the fence.    He decided to play it one handed, but unfortunately requred three shots to get on the green.

Here's my shot of the day.  With plugged lies at Cool-Tweed fresh in my memory, there was simply no hesitation when I saw my ball plugged ... this time not in a bunker, but in a water hazard.  With the chorus of "Don't do it, Jono" in the background, I chose to play it.  

I managed to get the ball out.  I had about 20 meters to the green, and managed to advance it 15.  However, my ball was covered in mud, as was my club.  

The shot that Jim hit into the last green was probably the shot of the day.  About 155 meters into a cross breeze (left to right).  The shot started just left of the green and faded back with the wind.  Always looked like it was going to be close ...  Here is the result.

With the match all but over, Jim could afford to relax and left his putt half a roll short of the hole.  (despite me and Grant reminding him that he could still 3 putt from there ...    ) Tap in par saw him win the match on the last.  

No competition is complete without prizes, so I ducked into my car to find anything that was golf related and new.  Found a box of Penn balls (rock hard, extra distance type) and a new pack of Glades tees/pencil/pitch repair tool.  Those will have to do.  

To the winner goes the spoils ...

Bad luck but well played throughout the competition, Vince.  You beat some worthy opponents on your road to the final.  Who could forget the absolute whipping that was handed out to a certain overconfident Carnarvon A grader?  

Closeup of THE PRIZE ...

All in all, a very enjoyable day.  

Thread Information