Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Course briefings for the visitors to the Vic Champs

Here some important things to know before you play these courses for the first time.

At St Andrews Beach.

1st - The green is behind the bunkers on the left. I know it looks like maybe it goes around to the right. Trust me on this. They even have a sign on the tee about this.

2nd - You can see everything as you stand on the tee of this short 4. Make your choice.

3rd - If you are long enough then try to hug the hill on the right for a look at the flag. If not, consider playing short of the gap and making the up the down from there.

4th - Right is dead, dead, dead. The green does not go as far left as you think but it is a better place to miss.

5th - On the shorter line down the left you can see less for your second shot. Right is longer but more open.

6th - There is more green on the right than you can see. The backstop is pretty handy.

7th - Centre left - fairly straight forward.

8th - Take note of the line to the green as you tee off, you are unlikely to see anything with your second shot. Heaps of room to go long at the green.

9th - The green is quite precarious. Missing long is the best choice with a hill to hold you.

10th - Even more precarious green. At least one person in your group will be trying to chip up from the million divots at the bottom of the hill on the left. Try to make this not you.

11th - Do not miss left. DO. NOT. MISS. LEFT!!

12th - Don't try to cut off too much of the inside right line and you should be fine. Green is big and has a lot of movement.

13th Pay attention here There is an aiming post halfway up the hill here. Use it. Anything more than slightly left of this post and your ball will never be seen again. The blind landing area is pretty wild and you could end up 80m away from where you thought you were. The green is bunkerless so the long second shot you will have is not too terrifying. I will donate $20 to Ozgolf for every birdie made on this hole.

14th - A miss pin high could easily turn into a sword fight with the green. Take care. 13 and 14 should be considered a par 8 as a pair.

15th - Up the hill. Fairly straightforward.

16th - Dog's breakfast. Missing left is possibly less dead if they have started clearing out for the second course. Landing short right and running it up is the best chance. The greenside bunker on the right can be putted out of. The one of the left will need crampons.

17th - Flatter down the left but you can't see as the green is hiding behind a big pile of trouble for the second shot. Right hand opens up the view but you will have to deal with side slope.

18th - A strong drive over the bunkers on the right can get a good kick along, but there is heaps of room left for those that need it late in the day.

Now take a deep breath and head back up the hill. Cart drivers might consider coming back and picking up the handful of walkers to save their weary legs.

I'll do Moonah Legends when I refresh my memory of a couple of holes - there are a couple that are not very memorable.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Course briefings for the visitors to the Vic Champs

Slope isn't used yet, Lefty. You wouldn't have performed that well under the pressure of an OZgolf compulsory comp round anyway.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Slope isn't used yet, Lefty. You wouldn't have performed that well under the pressure of an OZgolf compulsory comp round anyway.
    I'm surprised I performed that well under any conditions, let alone a compulsory OZgolf comp round!
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thread Information