Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Course briefings for the visitors to the Vic Champs

Here some important things to know before you play these courses for the first time.

At St Andrews Beach.

1st - The green is behind the bunkers on the left. I know it looks like maybe it goes around to the right. Trust me on this. They even have a sign on the tee about this.

2nd - You can see everything as you stand on the tee of this short 4. Make your choice.

3rd - If you are long enough then try to hug the hill on the right for a look at the flag. If not, consider playing short of the gap and making the up the down from there.

4th - Right is dead, dead, dead. The green does not go as far left as you think but it is a better place to miss.

5th - On the shorter line down the left you can see less for your second shot. Right is longer but more open.

6th - There is more green on the right than you can see. The backstop is pretty handy.

7th - Centre left - fairly straight forward.

8th - Take note of the line to the green as you tee off, you are unlikely to see anything with your second shot. Heaps of room to go long at the green.

9th - The green is quite precarious. Missing long is the best choice with a hill to hold you.

10th - Even more precarious green. At least one person in your group will be trying to chip up from the million divots at the bottom of the hill on the left. Try to make this not you.

11th - Do not miss left. DO. NOT. MISS. LEFT!!

12th - Don't try to cut off too much of the inside right line and you should be fine. Green is big and has a lot of movement.

13th Pay attention here There is an aiming post halfway up the hill here. Use it. Anything more than slightly left of this post and your ball will never be seen again. The blind landing area is pretty wild and you could end up 80m away from where you thought you were. The green is bunkerless so the long second shot you will have is not too terrifying. I will donate $20 to Ozgolf for every birdie made on this hole.

14th - A miss pin high could easily turn into a sword fight with the green. Take care. 13 and 14 should be considered a par 8 as a pair.

15th - Up the hill. Fairly straightforward.

16th - Dog's breakfast. Missing left is possibly less dead if they have started clearing out for the second course. Landing short right and running it up is the best chance. The greenside bunker on the right can be putted out of. The one of the left will need crampons.

17th - Flatter down the left but you can't see as the green is hiding behind a big pile of trouble for the second shot. Right hand opens up the view but you will have to deal with side slope.

18th - A strong drive over the bunkers on the right can get a good kick along, but there is heaps of room left for those that need it late in the day.

Now take a deep breath and head back up the hill. Cart drivers might consider coming back and picking up the handful of walkers to save their weary legs.

I'll do Moonah Legends when I refresh my memory of a couple of holes - there are a couple that are not very memorable.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Thanks Bruce

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Cheers Bruce. I've played there twice (once with you) and can't remember anything except the constant sense of impending doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Here some important things to know before you play these courses for the first time.

At St Andrews Beach.

1st - The green is behind the bunkers on the left. I know it looks like maybe it goes around to the right. Trust me on this. They even have a sign on the tee about this.
    Guilty. The first time I played there I went too far right, took 3 shots hacking out of nasty cabbage on the hill and started my round off with a 10.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's the scorecard (from 2010), I assume it hasn't changed since?

Front

Back
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

That card makes it look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    That card makes it look easy.
    It is. I shot 81 off the tips first time out in horrible conditions.

3rd - If you are long enough then try to hug the hill on the right for a look at the flag. If not, consider playing short of the gap and making the up the down from there.
    Is this the hole where the green is tucked into a bowl-like valley of sorts?

13th Pay attention here There is an aiming post halfway up the hill here. Use it. Anything more than slightly left of this post and your ball will never be seen again. The blind landing area is pretty wild and you could end up 80m away from where you thought you were. The green is bunkerless so the long second shot you will have is not too terrifying. I will donate $20 to Ozgolf for every birdie made on this hole.
    At 467m off the tips (par 4), I'm tipping your money will be safe.

Thanks Bruce.

What tee's will we be off?

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Thanks Bruce.

What tee's will we be off?
    Plastic ones or wooden ones. Your choice.

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Nice course guide Bruce but won't help much if I'm hitting it sideways

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Is this the hole where the green is tucked into a bowl-like valley of sorts?
    Yes.

I've birdied 13. With a good drive and running a 4I up to 2 feet.

I recommend the blues for us unless the wind is howling, in which case we should think about going forward. At the very least we should tee from up near the back on the 1st as it is one of the great views in Australian golf.

Note that there are only 2 par 5s and they both run the same way.

And don't worry too much OWAG - There is plenty of width on most holes. Some fairways are close to 100m wide.

Senior Member Major Winner

Unfortunately guys it has been confirmed that as we are playing in the comp days we will be off the whites for both Saturday and Sunday. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Still waiting for confirmation on Friday.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Reading this thread puts thing into perspective. Following a suggestion from Marto, I had a bit of a look around on google earth. We are in for treat.

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

Hang on - are we locked in to the comp?

The tee shot on 1 is sh*t from the whites and I reckon the driver on 13 is harder from closer to the hill

At least go up and have a look on the first - you won't be disappointed.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

And don't worry too much OWAG - There is plenty of width on most holes. Some fairways are close to 100m wide.
    ...and yet I still managed to land it on the 18th fairway from the first tee...

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

The tee shot on 1 is sh*t from the whites and I reckon the driver on 13 is harder from closer to the hill

We're not necessarily "locked in" to the comp but quite a few have expressed they would like to play in comp and have rounds in golflink. Plus I doubt they would have the back markers set up at all, would they?
    GolfMap

We shall see.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer to play in the comp, as long as the markers aren't ridiculously forward.

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Course briefings for the visitors to the Vic Champs

Is this the Brookwater strategy, Marto?

I don't care about the comp, but at the same time I don't want the course to be ridiculously long, because that isn't enjoyable.

I will make sure that I do. Thanks Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Marto65 View Post
    I'd prefer to play in the comp, as long as the markers aren't ridiculously forward.
    Stop complaing, you sound like confederate scum.

Sometimes when I think of you I touch myself..........

I wonder if a polite request might work. Just have the comp tees at the top of the hill on 1.

My course guide to Spring Valley. (Obviously Andigold is a member there and probably plays it differently than this, and no doubt better, but here I go anyway)

1st hole - 377m slight dogleg par 4 - A left to right tee shot is ideal. Usually a long iron or fairway wood (to avoid a double on the first hole) leaves a long to mid iron in. A fraction more room left than you think. Miss at the green is short and / or right. Big green.

2nd - 386m slight right to left par 4 - Usually a long iron, but can go over bunkers on inside of corner with driver. Have to nut it though. Miss off the tee is right, but not great either. Back to front sloping green with bunker front right. Miss is short, maybe a little left at worst.

3rd - 150m par 3 that plays just a little shorter than that. Big green so shouldn't be missing but from memory short right is your best miss. Bunkers on pretty much all sides and back to front sloping green means you prefer not to be long.

4th - 357m dogleg to the right par 4. Oh, how I loathe this hole. Should be easy. Isn't. Fairway wood or long iron left of the bunker on the inside of the dogleg sets up a shortish iron to the skinny, longish green protected by deep bunkers on both sides. Miss the green short, miss the tee shot left if you have to.

5th - 155m par 3. If I loathed the last I absolutely despise this hole. Don't get me wrong, they're great golf holes, I just play them like I've gone full retard. Miss is right from memory. Not sure long, short or otherwise but pretty much anywhere is better than the left bunker that I'm ALWAYS in. Green is almost diagonal front right to back left from the tee box so a right to left ball flight works well here.

6th - 364m par 4 slight dogleg down the hill, to the left and finally some relief. I go long iron down the left side tree line which gives me just enough to carry the bunker that I always forget about, leaving about 150 in. Big green, miss to the left if you must.

7th - 479m par 5 slightly up hill and straight. Dont miss either side by more than a few metres. Keep it straight, you'll have an easy chance at birdie on deceivingly more slopey green than what you think.

8th - 355m dead straight. Easy hole, just don't go long right off the tee, balls tend to bounce into the ti-tree. Don't miss the green if you can help it but short is not a bad miss.

9th - The hardest hole on the course, and with good reason. 412m of par 4 horribleness. Looks straightforward enough. Never plays it. Plus it's long. Narrower fairway than the rest of the course, and the green is guarded by bunkers short right and left. Par is a damn good score here, and there is no shame in bogey either.

10th - 134m downhill par 3. Have never hit the green. Should be easy. Just keep reminding yourself that as you walk off with a hard fought bogey. Miss is super short but that still leaves you with a pitch from a tight lie over a bunker to a firm green. How good ARE you?

11th - 332m slight dogleg to the left. Bombs away! Just dont go too far right, or left for that matter. Smart play is the iron or fairway wood over the bunker on the inside of the dogleg. Ballsier play is same line with driver shaping right to left.

12th - 483m par 5 and a fun hole. Just take note of the length of the grass on the right hand side. You see it? Good, because if you hit your ball in there you won't see it. Ever again. Aim a little further left, there's plenty of room out there. Miss your second left too. Water on right creeeeeeeps up on you if you're out that way.

13th - 348m of dogleggy right, over the water goodness. Haven't figured out how to play this hole yet. Don't go through the dogleg, you're stuffed. Don't be short of the corner though, you're stuffed. Just right with a long iron off the tee for about 150 in. Left to right slope green. Holed the miracle wedge here to break mint's heart in this years MP.

14th - 200m of hard par 3. Small green, trouble left and right. How this is index 6 is beyond me. Short and just right (and I mean only just) is the ONLY miss here. This hole is tough, tough, tough.

15th - 405m par 4 slight right to left. I'm assuming that with the length here the new back tee is operational. Haven't played from there before. Used to be fairway wood, short iron with anything right acceptable unless it was fairly wide right or long right. Well I guess long right is acceptable now as well, just pretty much don't be left. If you are left, don't be any further left than the bunker. Miss the green front (are you sensing a theme here?) or back at worst as both sides of the green is armed with bunkers.

16th - 408m true dogleg right par 4. Shorter hitters need to go left onto the fairway but then it will play all of its 408m. Longer hitters can take on the bunkers on the corner and hava short iron in. Miss is front right for a chip straight up the green.

17th - 477m Par 5. A bit of a "meh" hole for the penultimate at such a great course, but it is strategic. Carrying the bunker on the left is doable but it really doesn't help that much and long grass on the right can make it a LLLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG hole. Can be reached in two with some solid shots but usually best to lay up to 80-100 out and score from there. Slopey green back to front.

18th - No distance on the website but from memory is about 380-390m. A spectacular finishing hole. Straight up, and then literally straight up for your second shot to the elevated green (approximately 15m above you?) surrounded by bunkers. A small hill at the back stops long balls from going too far through and can even get some to roll back on. Long is the miss at the green. Off the tee you have acres of space right so long as you're not in the bunkers in between you and the 11th fairway. Par is a good score.

Overall my feeling of the course is it's spectacular and you guys will really enjoy it. Never gets mentioned in the same breath as the big boys which is a shame because it deserves it and pisses all over some of the "bigger" clubs like Huntingdale and Keysborough.
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 8th February 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    GolfMap

The Tom Doak Classic (back marker stroke) at St. Andrews Beach is the 2nd Saturday of every month (tomorrow).

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    The Tom Doak Classic (back marker stroke) at St. Andrews Beach is the 2nd Saturday of every month (tomorrow).
    Thank god for that...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Marto65 View Post
    Always a good plan in case of a hole in one.
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information