Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 58 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I vote for whichever party I want to get in, regardless of the local member. That's the way it works ultimately. If you want a particular party to get in you're going to vote for that local member, even if he is a knob. Why if I want the liberals in power would I vote for the local labor member, or vice versa?
    Exactly Lefty.

In my electorate the PM and local member vote is the same.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Interesting question. Just what is it that makes a seat so 'safe'? If it's not the actual person.

A mate of mine has been a liberal MP for at least 20 years and from memory the previous one was also long term Lib.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

often the demographics are what makes a seat safe
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Moe, the mail was that Labor would only hold onto Rudds seat in Qld. Are your people swinging back in favour of Qlds favourite son?
    in droves as far as I can see. And the local rag that was staunchly anti ALP in the state election is now his best PR machine

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    While at elections we are voting for our local member, when you chat to people it's all about the leader. How much influence does the leader really truly have? I mean in final decision making? They obviously have advisers, people working out what needs to be done etc etc. So just how big a difference to the workings of the whole party does a different leader make? And how much is public perception?
    And how many hard working people who would have been fantastic sitting members haven't gotten a chance because the p public can't see past either the leader, or sticking to their regular party vote?
    I would generally vote for the party I want to win, which will often, but not always be influenced heavily by the leader.

It would have to a seriously impressive local member to vary from this, and most likely would need to be independent
    Moe Norman

Ping G30 9* | Wilson Staff Tour F5 15* | Ping G20 20** | Ping i3 Blades 3-PW | Ping Tour 54.12 & 60.08| Yes! Marilyn

"I had played so poorly recently, I started thinking that maybe I should do something else. Then I saw my friends going to work every day and realised that my life wasn't so bad." -Steve Pate

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Interesting question. Just what is it that makes a seat so 'safe'? If it's not the actual person.

A mate of mine has been a liberal MP for at least 20 years and from memory the previous one was also long term Lib.
    The area I live in has historically been a very safe Labour seat. It is the home of car manufacturing, oil refining and other manufacturing. It used to be that any Labour numpty was elected here, now they are more careful about who runs. The current member is a recent PM (very very recent )

Now the region is undergoing a bit of a housing boom with professional families moving into the area because it is so close to the city. Housing prices have nearly doubled since we moved here 7 years ago.

The seat is still a "safe" Labour seat but the margin is much closer now. I think that in the next 5-10 years the seat will become marginal. The independents are also getting a much stronger run now.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

What if I don't want either of the two parties to win??

They all suck, not one of them seems to actually have a long term vision for this country. The independents & smaller parties are so narrowly focussed I'm not sure I want them in wielding power either....

Anyone wanna join me in a revolution??
    WITB
    Cobra Amp Cell 9.5* - Kuro Kage Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 3 - 4 Fwy (4) - Fujikura Fuel Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid (3) MRC Cobra Amp Cell Stiff
    Ping I20 4 - UW CFS Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX 53* & 56* DG Wedge
    TP Mills SoftTail

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
    What if I don't want either of the two parties to win??

They all suck, not one of them seems to actually have a long term vision for this country. The independents & smaller parties are so narrowly focussed I'm not sure I want them in wielding power either....

Anyone wanna join me in a revolution??
    Pick up your voting slips and head straight for the voting boxes, fold em up and put them in without putting pen to paper. This always gets a few startled looks and if your lucky you get some newbie trying to tell you you can do that when you most definitely can.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Pick up your voting slips and head straight for the voting boxes, fold em up and put them in without putting pen to paper. This always gets a few startled looks and if your lucky you get some newbie trying to tell you you can do that when you most definitely can.
    Yeah, it's a shame informal can't form a government
    WITB
    Cobra Amp Cell 9.5* - Kuro Kage Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 3 - 4 Fwy (4) - Fujikura Fuel Stiff
    Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid (3) MRC Cobra Amp Cell Stiff
    Ping I20 4 - UW CFS Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX 53* & 56* DG Wedge
    TP Mills SoftTail

just vote for Clive, you know it makes sense.

(actually, he should endorse Keka as a candidate so that line is even better)
    Moe Norman

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

They just showed some polling with Turnbull vs Rudd led parties. Two party preferred has Libs leading Labs 58 to 42%, and preferred PM shows Turnbull leading 65 to 35%. Hockey this morning saying it's nothing and that it's a party that leads, which is true. But what percentage of the public see it that way, or a voting based on the leader?
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Too many it seems. The change in the polls when KRudd was put back in indicates that.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I don't want to vote for either of the main parties but the NBN is the only thing that will really make a difference to Aus in the years to come.
    The rest of it is just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

http://howfastisthenbn.com.au/

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

How will the NBN change my life? I don't download massive files so I doubt the speed would be a significant factor.

Or am I missing something?
    Forum needs more banter.

I assume Highballin is referring to the massive debt we will have to pay off for the useless NBN. That's what will impact our lives.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Australia has not built any meaningful infrastructure for years. The NBN is the information Highway that needs to be built. If anyone thinks we will be building cars in ten years time good luck with that. Manufacturing has to compete against wages in third world countries it is pointless.

We have to be smarter or we will all be working for peanuts to compete with Bangladesh etc.

http://www.marcuswestbury.net/2013/0...anged-my-life/

This is just the tip of the iceberg there are opportunities that we can't even envisage yet.

Infrastructure that is costed, productive, and relevant is what the country needs. Any layman can see the NBN will be technologically superceded in the very near future by wireless.

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Infrastructure that is costed, productive, and relevant is what the country needs. Any layman can see the NBN will be technologically superceded in the very near future by wireless.
    Mmm yeah well Houston we have a problem.
    http://nbnmyths.wordpress.com/why-not-wireless/

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Here's an interesting page I came across via twitter:

http://www.politifact.com.au/

Would you like me to post a few articles that argue the opposite.

Use the common sense approach and how you have seen technology advance over the last 10 years. Where will we be in 10 years? What new technology will pop up, how fast will 6G or 7G be?

The NBN will be a shell of itself in 5 years.

[QUOTE=matty;994637]Would you like me to post a few articles that argue the opposite.

Yes

My Nan sends two emails a week, she doesn't need the NBN, the guy down the road might.

Blog Entries

Nice references in your linked site. Written by a Fireman in the blue mountains?

While I don't necessarily disagree with the sentiments, he has quoted figures withour references etc etc. Dangerous link.

But why do YOU think the NBN is so important?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

The NBN will change how we deliver education, healthcare, aged care ,government services. Opportunities in the corporate world we will be able to compete with other countries on a level or better footing than we do now.

When the Internet was formed and no Malcom Turnbull did not invent it. We could not envisage what is today. The NBN I believe will have a profound influence on our future to deliver services and compete in the corporate world. Plus ozgolf.net will be quicker

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Would you like me to post a few articles that argue the opposite.

Use the common sense approach and how you have seen technology advance over the last 10 years. Where will we be in 10 years? What new technology will pop up, how fast will 6G or 7G be?

The NBN will be a shell of itself in 5 years.
    Have you seen the coalitions policy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by highballin View Post
    The NBN will change how we deliver education, healthcare, aged care ,government services. Opportunities in the corporate world we will be able to compete with other countries on a level or better footing than we do now.

When the Internet was formed and no Malcom Turnbull did not invent it. We could not envisage what is today. The NBN I believe will have a profound influence on our future to deliver services and compete in the corporate world. Plus ozgolf.net will be quicker
    I don't see how the NBN will do this specifically, as most of it will likely be natural progression as technologies improve.

I like the NBN as building infrastructure is a good thing, despite the trends to sell infrastructure off.

I don't like the NBN as I believe the technology will be redundant very quickly, except in more remote areas, which they are doing with satellite and wireless coverage anyway.

The coalitions fibre to node policy is a compromise, based on cheaper rollout. It is a significant saving if that floats your boat.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thread Information