Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Yearly goals / expectations

I can't help but to see everyone looking back at 2012 and seeing how their handicaps dropped and how many wins they had and how awesome the champs were , but being new to the game of golf and oz golf forums it made me wonder and think about some goals for my year.

I may have only been playing for a few months but I'm more than bitten by the bug , the only thing that has been holding me back is a lack of playing partners that enjoyed playing more than 9 holes or can go that long without 6 beers as I'm 21 so most of my mates see golf as a piss up hack and would struggle to play more than our local par 3 course, but as I now have my handicap ( a solid 34.4 haha) and played in my first comp im so excited for this year but trying not to get too unrealistic with my goals.

I know it may be a big step but I am hoping to get my cap down to 20 by the years end as I have shot 45 over both sets of 9 holes at my club a few times now I just can't get it together for a full 18 , usually end up with something like 45/59 or vice versa . But I've kitted up with decent clubs , got lessons under my belt and am looking forward to my next 18 as I haven't shot over 50 for 9 in awhile now but just once again a lack of mates to get out for 18 and my local comp this sat is a 2 man ambrose..

I would love to be able to have a few games with some of you guys in the bris/GC area , not sure if I would be a hinderence on your rounds as you'll be a full 20 shots faster than me around the track and would love to join you guys when you host champs and any other competitions..

I wanna see others goals / expectations for the year and also if anyone can relate to having a lack of mates to play with ..

Cheers

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Best of luck Waddzy!
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Waddzy View Post
    not sure if I would be a hinderence on your rounds as you'll be a full 20 shots faster than me around the track and would love to join you guys when you host champs and any other competitions..
    Learn how to play quickly and nobody will notice the 20 shots. Walk quickly between shots, know when its your turn, don't stuff around when its your turn to play etc.

My Goal - get to 9. Same one as the last 10 years.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Good luck with it Waddzy. I went from 29 to 19 with once a month golf so your aim is definitely achieveable!

My goal for this year is to get to 15; won't necessarily be easy for me with another kid on the way and most likely even less golf than last year.

That's awesome ashes! I have decided to give golf a good amount of attention , 2 range sessions through the week , a Friday practise hit on the course and play as many comps on saturdays I can ..

My 2c FWIW, from a fellow chopper - I reckon lowering your cap should be the result of your golf, not the reason for it. If you keep playing, practicing, having lessons etc as you are your cap will look after itself. As for your mates not playing, it just means you ditch them for a few hours a week. One of the great things about golf is you do it on your own, all you need is a tee time, best ball/ambrose notwithstanding. Even then, I reckon if you mention it to your pro shop, they'll probably be able to find someone who's in the same situation, just looking for a partner so they can play and not concerned with winning club comps. Good luck

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett View Post
    Learn how to play quickly and nobody will notice the 20 shots. Walk quickly between shots, know when its your turn, don't stuff around when its your turn to play etc.My Goal - get to 9. Same one as the last 10 years.
    You should listen to your own advice. Monsta never stopped bitching about you at the Christmas game.
    Forum needs more banter.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Monsta is well aware that we had to wait for Grunt to cross each fairway three times and apologise to the group in front every second hole...

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

My goals are to beat Benno in the ACT matchplay, if he can keep up......
    Play more games than Dotty
    Attend all OZgolf champs
    Hopefully get to single figures

Stick at it Waddzy, you need only join a club to find good playing partners

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

I recently joined a club which has been good as I get to the first tee to play solo and end up playing with at least one other , I think my biggest help will be trying to get more rounds of 18 under my belt when I do go out to play, but I'm loving playing as much as I can when I get away from work and hopefully my scores reflect it!

Blog Entries

I took up the game at the same age, and none of my friends were playing. As much as I like their company, the golf course/club was my sanctuary away from them. (I also didn't need a knee reco in my 30's, unlike the others.)

You'll easily meet like-minded people at the club, especially if you chat with the pro, general manager or captain. Club life is a bit like driving a car in traffic for the first time ... Don't try to get there too fast. Observe what is happening around you. Show the same respect/courtesy to others, as you would like to receive yourself.

I recommend hit straight down the fairway rather than trying to be Tiger-long and in the dams/trees/OOB. Even if you only hit 3 iron or a hybrid off the tee.

Pracitce putting and chipping. Get some lessons, if needed. It will bring your scores down faster than anything else. (It also speeds up play, and draws good comments from your fellow competitors.) Practice at the club's putting or chipping green is also a good way to meet fellow club members.

Learn how to hit out of a bunker. It will save a lot of embarrassment.

Learn the basic rules. (Ask the general manager for a free R&A rule book. Read the definitions, and have a basic concept of what the options are for ball in water, ball out of bounds, lost ball, unplayable ball and GUR/obstructions.) Ask if Golf Australia are running a Rules Seminar in the area, as these cover 99% of what club golfers have to deal with.

Most of all ... Enjoy the journey and don't let it get you down. (It took me six years to get below 20 and another twenty to get below 10.)
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Waddzy, I hope you get all you want out of golf mate, I too struggle with mates that want too play golf, because most of the time it's a can a hole affair and after 9 they don't want to play anymore. Mate I've been playing since October 2012 and I didn't think i could progress my game to the people I was playing with, but today I lowered my HC 4 strokes to 28. I can't wipe the smile of my dile, I think the handbreak is getting sick of it but I'm not fussed. Now I want to get it even lower. Good luck mate

Member Teaching Pro

My goal's are to keep my handicap under 5, play better in the club champs rather than having 3 rounds in the high 80's and one good round I would like to have it the other way arround this year. Try and play some mid week comps and work on improving my short game.
    The main thing is to continue to enjoy playing each week and let the scores take care of themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    My goal's are to keep my handicap under 5, play better in the club champs rather than having 3 rounds in the high 80's and one good round I would like to have it the other way arround this year. Try and play some mid week comps and work on improving my short game.
    The main thing is to continue to enjoy playing each week and let the scores take care of themselves
    This
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Yep... the funny thing about golf is that it's not so much like other team sports where people of the same standard tend to stick together (excepting pennant etc). The vast majority of golfers don't give a shit whether you're off 3 or 33. If you enjoy your golf, play at a decent pace and have fun, they will be happy to have a hit with you so my advice is just try and have fun with it and don't sweat the small stuff! Play and practice much as you can and your handicap will come down by itself.I

I don't know whether I really have any goals for this year except to become a better golfer. I've just dropped 4 shots off my handicap in the past couple of months (from 11 to 7.. 6.6 now) and if I can keep it in mid single figures for the year I'll be stoked. All I need to do is keep hitting it straight down the middle and get up and down more, the rest is pretty decent.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Now that I'm down to 4 (Never thought this was possible), my goal in 2013 is to consistently shoot rounds at 78 (8 over) and under at Cabramatta. I would also like an under par round at some stage, but I will take consistency of shooting the lights out.

Also would like to qualify for the A Grade match play after the Club Championships where only the top 16 scratch qualify.

BenM has it right, no one cares what your handicap is as long as you are good company and move along. You should concentrate on enjoying your golf and the rest will follow.

That said, my goal is to play smarter golf and manage my way around the course. This should result in better scores and a lowering of the handicap. (trying to get from 13 to single figures eventually)
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    BenM has it right, no one cares what your handicap is as long as you are good company and move along. You should concentrate on enjoying your golf and the rest will follow.

That said, my goal is to play smarter golf and manage my way around the course. This should result in better scores and a lowering of the handicap. (trying to get from 13 to single figures eventually)
    Not entirely correct BenM and IanO.
    I've met too many single figure guys over the years that are clicky and think anyone not on single figures has no place being out there. I'm on single figures and don't like to play with these people as they tend to be total douches and unfortunately most clubs have a few. They tend to play together all the time, you work out who they are fairly quickly.
    I get quite a few fellow playing partners on the day saying "you shouldn't be playing with us high handicappers" when they find out I'm single figures. I just tell them it doesn't matter as long as they just enjoy being out there playing. They are usually very appreciative after the game and mention how much they enjoy watching some of the shots and how I go about getting around the course. I'm no gun but I do ok.
    I often get more enjoyment out of my own game when watching a B, C or D grader having a good one. I'll play golf with just about anyone.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Waddzy View Post
    I can't help but to see everyone looking back at 2012 and seeing how their handicaps dropped and how many wins they had and how awesome the champs were , but being new to the game of golf and oz golf forums it made me wonder and think about some goals for my year.

I may have only been playing for a few months but I'm more than bitten by the bug , the only thing that has been holding me back is a lack of playing partners that enjoyed playing more than 9 holes or can go that long without 6 beers as I'm 21 so most of my mates see golf as a piss up hack and would struggle to play more than our local par 3 course, but as I now have my handicap ( a solid 34.4 haha) and played in my first comp im so excited for this year but trying not to get too unrealistic with my goals.

I know it may be a big step but I am hoping to get my cap down to 20 by the years end as I have shot 45 over both sets of 9 holes at my club a few times now I just can't get it together for a full 18 , usually end up with something like 45/59 or vice versa . But I've kitted up with decent clubs , got lessons under my belt and am looking forward to my next 18 as I haven't shot over 50 for 9 in awhile now but just once again a lack of mates to get out for 18 and my local comp this sat is a 2 man ambrose..

I would love to be able to have a few games with some of you guys in the bris/GC area , not sure if I would be a hinderence on your rounds as you'll be a full 20 shots faster than me around the track and would love to join you guys when you host champs and any other competitions..

I wanna see others goals / expectations for the year and also if anyone can relate to having a lack of mates to play with ..

Cheers
    As long as you observe good golf etiquette Waddzy it won't be long and you'll have a new bunch of "Comp Golf" friends to play with on a regular basis. Good luck and enjoy the journey of improvement.

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Not entirely correct BenM and IanO.
    I've met too many single figure guys over the years that are clicky and think anyone not on single figures has no place being out there. I'm on single figures and don't like to play with these people as they tend to be total douches and unfortunately most clubs have a few. They tend to play together all the time, you work out who they are fairly quickly.
    Yeah - that's why I said the vast majority. There are a few douches at every club and you usually work out who they are

My regular playing partners these days are off 5, 18 and 36!

There are people at our club like the ex pro who I've seen playing with handicappers of all sizes and has been known to give away gear (in one case that I know of, a Scotty) to a junior who could use it. People like that more than make up for the muppets.

Unfortunately all clubs are clicky to some degree though - it really isn't just limited to the low markers, in fact the older blokes can be the worst for it, and it's a barrier to new players. Maybe that's an issue for another thread though.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

I agree with Hatch, there are a few low h/cappers that won't play with a b or c grader, but it's not the tour and its always good to meet different people. High markers can sometimes feed off the low guys and shoot a better score when playing in their group.
    We welcome anyone into our playing group, as long as they don't mind having a beer or small wager on the nett score, throw the balls up to determine playing partners if its an ind event, it's all part of the fun and enjoyment of the game

WITB
    Ping Anser 9.5, Ping Anser 3 wood, Ping i20's 3-pw, Vokey 50, 54 & 58 deg wedges
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.6

Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club

Ah to be young and have time to yourself If I'd been bitten by the golf bug when I'd first had a hit at your age I (hopefully) wouldn't be a 33 year old chopper trying to squeeze in the odd game around the wife and kids

If you've got the time to practise and play, I reckon you'll be off 20 easy by the end of 2013 as long as you've got decent co-ordination. Over the course of 18 holes, you only need to save one shot every 3 holes and you've cut 6 strokes off your score.

My kids are still young so time and money are in short supply, but I'd like to break 90 this year. Closest I've had is 89 on a par 70 course of 93 on a par 72.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Good luck with it all mate. I think you'll find that there are plenty of low cappers willing to play with you provided you keep good pace and have good etiquette. My cap dropped from 19 to 14 in 2012. Looking to get down to 10-12 this year & to be in contention in the final round of club champs. Had a shocking first round last year followed by 3 decent rounds. Also looking to break 80 in comp at some stage.
    Nickent 4DX Tour 9*
    TM V-Steel 15*
    Adams Pro 20* 23*
    Adams CB2 5-PW
    Cleveland Reg.588 - 50/10, 54/12, 58/8
    Odyssey Black 1 wide
    Ping Hoofer

Thanks everyone It's all grea advice , had a round today played 9 with a work mate and was joined by a couple of guys who play off single digits for the back 9 , I found playing with the better players made me step my game up and shot a low 9 hole round new pb for me of 42 , stoked .. Pity about the front 9 being 59 otherwise it would be my first under 100 round but it will come.

More lessons booked and may just use all of them on bunkers as I managed to hit 20 shots from bunkers today and was only stuck in 8 bunkers...

Member Club Champion

Default Re: Yearly goals / expectations

I'm only green to the game but I would like to have a consistent putt by the end of the year. Last week I couldn't do much wrong when on the green with many 1 putts but today I managed to pull putts to the left and ended up with way too many 3 putts.

Goal wise. I'd like to break 90. I have to break 100 first but with some of the shots I managed to play so far, gives me hope that they'll become more regular in the future.

Next step is booking some lessons to remove this evil slice off my drive.
    Handicap - Golfing Journey - WITB coming soon -

Thread Information