Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default GPS & Rangefinder Eliminations/Recommendations

I know there are lots of threads for this, and I usually threadmine instead, but there doesn’t seem to be anything too recent. I need some help selecting a GPS. I’d consider a rangefinder, but I think I need a replacement for my Neo, which is getting on a bit. I usually analyse things to death, but I can’t afford the time to do that, so I’ll use your recommendations as my main guide.

As mentioned in another thread, I’ve got a bit of proshop credit to spend, so that limits my options to getting something from OnCourse Golf.
    Here’s what I could find on their website:

Bushnell Hybrid GPS Laser - $459
    Bushnell Neo Golf Watch - $229
    Bushnell Neo PLUS - $169
    Sureshot GPS Watch - $199
    Sureshot Laser 1000 - $299
    Sureshot Micro 300X - $179
    Sureshot Micro - $169
    Sureshot SS8850X Holiday Pack (incl car charger and cover) - $269 (Only 2 left in the shop for this special)
    Sureshot SS9000X - $349
    Golf Buddy Voice - $199
    Golf Buddy World - $329
    Golf Buddy World Platinum - $399

Despite it being a voucher, I still would like to get some value for my credit. I do want preloaded courses, as I don’t want to go through the hassle that I did with the Neo, only for the GPS positions seeming to move by over 10m the next year.

Start your eliminating/recommendations.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AndyP; 10th January 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Bushy V2 Tour rangefinder.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

The hybrid laser would have to be the one to buy out of that list. One device two funtions.

I have a Leupold laser and love it, however sometimes a GPS is what is more suitable. A bit of a coincidence but I just got a Sonocaddie V500 today. Trade in program from Aus distributor plus free downloads of sat and flyover so $299 with my old Neo. I liked the fact that the screen on them is quite readable in bright sunlight.
    Cheers
    Craig

[<a href=http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg target=_blank><u><font size=2><font color=#0000ff><font size=2><font color=#0000ff>http://i.imgur.com/q7UYKtc.jpg</font></font></font></font></u></a>

WITB
    G30 LS 10.5* Attas5; Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood; Adams Proto DHY Super 18*/21*Kurokage; Cally Apex Pro 4-PW Steelfibre 110cw; Sky Dream Jump 51*; TVD 60* and Odyssey Black Series #1

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Default GPS Eliminations/Recommendations

Bushnell hybrid, I have one and it is a great jigger, courses are free and preloaded. Get prob 4 rounds from a charge, easily remap a green in 20 seconds. GPS is basic but so am i !!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

FWIW, I have both rangefinder & GPS (Sonocaddie). I use the rangefinder every round, but only use the GPS when playing on an unfamiliar course (a couple of times a year at most). Maybe look at it that way...
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)
    Blog Entries

I have a bushnell medalist. The most basic of basic rangefinders.

I use it every week. I honestly don't feel a need for a GPS unit. Bushnell stuff is very, very good.

This will be a good thread to keep an eye on.
    Callaway RAZR-fit XTreme (9.5*,S) ,MATRIX 7M3 Black Tie X |TAYLORMADE RBZ Tour Spoon 13*, UST VTS Silver 60X SPX TOUR |TAYLORMADE RBZ Rescue 19*, UST VTS Silver 75HS SPX TOUR | PING i20 (4-W), Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 X | Nike Vr50.10, 54.12 and 58.10| NIKE Method 001 34"

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I've got a golf buddy world platinum I find it better than the sureshot I had before. I've also got a bushnell tour Z6. I prefer he convienance of the GPS, I get to ball glance at on the side of my bag and I have the distance to the middle of the green, I can estimate the distance to the pin. I'm not that accurate that I need to know the distance to the metre, and I'm not sure many on here woud be either. I haven't used my laser range finder in at least my last 6 rounds.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I think most of us here really only need measurements to the front middle back of greens, so I vote GPS.
    I have the old Sonnocaddie V300, can't beat it really.
    Can chart your own holes (ad layup dist, bunkers, dogleg corners, trees, water etc) and gives the whole overview....
    If I was to upgrade, I'd prob get the V500......
    JMO

Andy, get a laser, there is no way a bloke like you can handle trusting someone elses gps plotting. You would be too worried they might be out by a metre.
    ( I cant and you are worse than me for sure)
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Good point.

Blog Entries

It isn't the accuracy (although it doesn't hurt) which sells a laser to me - its ease of use.

Don't need to worry about batteries/ courses/ syncing etc. just point and shoot. Can pick up distances to pretty much everything. Having a closer look at the green with the 7x magnification is great too.

Most GPS units that have detailed info (to bunkers/ hazards) have crappy screen that are a PITA to view in sunlight.

Guess if you go with a hybrid bushnell you will be sorted.

It just comes down to a preference thing I guess
    Callaway RAZR-fit XTreme (9.5*,S) ,MATRIX 7M3 Black Tie X |TAYLORMADE RBZ Tour Spoon 13*, UST VTS Silver 60X SPX TOUR |TAYLORMADE RBZ Rescue 19*, UST VTS Silver 75HS SPX TOUR | PING i20 (4-W), Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 X | Nike Vr50.10, 54.12 and 58.10| NIKE Method 001 34"

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I have a Sonocaddie V100 (the most basic one), and I got a Sureshot watch for my birthday.

Love the watch....preloaded courses, always handy to see....and best of all.....hard to lose unlike other units that can bounce off the buggy.

Puji, is your laser range finder solar powered?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

It could be nuclear powered for all I know. I've used it for a year and not needed to enquire about its energy source.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Bushy V2 Tour rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    FWIW, I have both rangefinder & GPS (Sonocaddie). I use the rangefinder every round, but only use the GPS when playing on an unfamiliar course (a couple of times a year at most). Maybe look at it that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Puji View Post
    I have a bushnell medalist. The most basic of basic rangefinders.

I use it every week. I honestly don't feel a need for a GPS unit. Bushnell stuff is very, very good.

This will be a good thread to keep an eye on.
    I agree with the boys, I have a Bushnell V2 and a Garmin G3. I use the GPS maybe once in about 2-3 rounds. I've found that the GPS's are out by about 5-15m depending who and how they did the mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Croydo View Post
    I've got a golf buddy world platinum I find it better than the sureshot I had before. I've also got a bushnell tour Z6. I prefer he convienance of the GPS, I get to ball glance at on the side of my bag and I have the distance to the middle of the green, I can estimate the distance to the pin. I'm not that accurate that I need to know the distance to the metre, and I'm not sure many on here woud be either. I haven't used my laser range finder in at least my last 6 rounds.
    Is it too early to call dibs on the Z6??? I all serious how do you find the Z6 to the V2??

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    Is it too early to call dibs on the Z6??? I all serious how do you find the Z6 to the V2??
    I've been thinking about selling it. The red illumination on the Z6 is a nice upgrade as is the extra zoom, but I'm not sure it was worth theextra money to upgrade though. I prefer the shape of the tour V2.

Quote Originally Posted by Croydo View Post
    I've been thinking about selling it. The red illumination on the Z6 is a nice upgrade as is the extra zoom, but I'm not sure it was worth theextra money to upgrade though. I prefer the shape of the tour V2.
    I think the V2 is an awesome piece of kit.

The V2 isn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The V2 isn't on the list.
    Sorry got off topic, from what I heard go the Golf Buddy Platinum....

The bushnell hybrid is the tour V2 with the neo GPS built in. If your going to get a laser I'd be getting that one. I've not heard much about the sureshot laser.

stu had the sureshot laser and it was shithouse...

Is the Hybrid the V2 plus GPS? That's good to know. I thought I read something bad about the hybrid here, but I can't remember what it was.

Unlike a few years ago, I really do play a lot at the one course now, so a rangefinder or hybrid might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Puji View Post
    It could be nuclear powered for all I know. I've used it for a year and not needed to enquire about its energy source.
    you are going to be pissed off when the battery runs out.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Blog Entries

Yeah. Pissed off enough to reach into the case and pull out a spare square looking thing which will provide me another years worth of juice.

Exactly, i did the same thing, but you think I can find the bloody spare battery when it eventually runs out? stuffed if I know where it went - twice!
    Come to think of it, i am not exactly sure where I stashed the spare batter this time either. Might be in my first aid kit, that makes sense.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information