Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Among the changes for 2014-2015, four decisions are particularly noteworthy:
    New Decision 14-3/18 confirms that players can access reports on weather conditions on a smartphone during a round without breaching the Rules. Importantly, this new Decision also clarifies that players are permitted to access information on the threat of an impending storm in order to protect their own safety.

So by that I see no reason why smartphones can not be used as a dmd now.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by simmsy View Post
    So by that I see no reason why smartphones can not be used as a dmd now.
    The compass was the issue.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

question, sureshot 100 @ $229, worth the money?

Yeh the Compass on the iPhone also has a spirit level which measures gradients etc etc. That will still pose an issue depending on exact wordings.

The R&A will need to follow suit to allow smartphones and hopefully just reword it slightly. I mean having the functionality is no reason to penalise if it is not used.

Hell we can all kick the ball, should we all be deemed illegal just because we don't.

Its a crazy rule that needs changing to keep up with technologies.

But while the rule is there, and while the local rules are not allowed to overrule it, I will abide by them.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The compass was the issue.
    Along with the weather info. And now they say we can use our devices to find out the weather. I then "might just" need my compass to tell me which direction north is.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

If you have the funds, consensus is that the Bushnell V3 is the king for $70 extra.

http://www.golfbox.com.au/Bushnell_bymfg_137-3-1.html

But the Sureshot is fine if you don't have the extra dollars to spend.

might have to wait a little longer, and go down that path..

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

After done a bit of thinking I have picked gps over range finder for me. Any one used the sureshot 9500x?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

sureshot pinloc 1000, does just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Mububban View Post
    If you have the funds, consensus is that the Bushnell V3 is the king for $70 extra.

http://www.golfbox.com.au/Bushnell_bymfg_137-3-1.html

But the Sureshot is fine if you don't have the extra dollars to spend.
    But the Bushnell Tour V3 Slope Edition would be deemed illegal for competition play due to the ability to calculate slope.

Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include, but are not limited to:
    the gauging or measuring of slope;
    the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g. wind speed or direction, or other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);
    recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g. club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
    calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting shot distance.

At least that is how I read it!!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Slothman View Post
    But the Bushnell Tour V3 Slope Edition would be deemed illegal for competition play due to the ability to calculate slope.

Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include, but are not limited to:
    the gauging or measuring of slope;
    the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g. wind speed or direction, or other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);
    recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g. club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
    calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting shot distance.

At least that is how I read it!!
    We are talking about the non slope version of the v3

Cool. Just making sure. Don't want to look at replacing bad with bad

played a course today that I had never seen before other than the flyover on their website, didn't take notes did I!!!!! neways, without a rangefinder I would have been rooted more than I was, this piece of equipment is more useful than my driver currently..

played another course with a friend on sunday that was fairly unfamiliar to both of us, we have both played it but not for a while, him for 15 years, anyway i used the rangefinder on most holes and his judgment was at least 20-30m short on most wedge/pitch shots, interesting

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    played another course with a friend on sunday that was fairly unfamiliar to both of us, we have both played it but not for a while, him for 15 years, anyway i used the rangefinder on most holes and his judgment was at least 20-30m short on most wedge/pitch shots, interesting
    Using a GPS and rangefinder has highlighted just how clueless most people (myself included) are at judging distances accurately. Unless you're standing right next to a yardage marker, it's so easy to be 20-30m wrong.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

Quote Originally Posted by Mububban View Post
    Using a GPS and rangefinder has highlighted just how clueless most people (myself included) are at judging distances accurately. Unless you're standing right next to a yardage marker, it's so easy to be 20-30m wrong.
    Thats if you can trust markers too.. I have quite often been just over "100" out and hit the pin with the laser to find im 125m. 5m back from the 100m marker and the pin sitting at most 5m back from centre = 110m but with the range finder getting the 125m measurement.. at first it was hard to tell myself to hit the extra club but coming up short 9/10 times has proven how much I should trust it.

Also great on courses that for some reason have their markers in yards, was saved by that one a few times.

OK after struggling to get a measurement when there are trees behind the flag I decided to do something a bit different and look at the manual. In the manual it says once turned on in pin lock mode to hold the power button for a few seconds and the nearest target will appear with a circle around the flag. Anyway I tried this yesterday and it worked great

Up until recently, I have only used a GPS on my phone even though I also carried a rangefinder with me. I now got into the habit of shooting for the exact distance and I don't think I can ever have a round without a rangefinder.
    It doesn't really matter whether you have the ability to shoot the exact distance or not. I believe knowing and going for the exact distance will help anyone's game immensely.

it takes 2nd guessing your distances out of the equation with the rangey.

on approach to a green i can scan the face of a bunker then the pin know the distance i need to carry that bunker, so i know i will always play the correct club for that distance, never ever pretended like it makes me play a better shot. but atleast i know it wasn't me guessing the wrong distance when i do go in the bunker.

Yep, the rangefinder takes one variable out of the equation. I still have my Bushnell Neo on though...for the blind hole situations and 'other fairway' ones as we'll. One charge of the Neo lasts approx 8 rounds - so easy!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Do any Perth folks know of somewhere local that stocks CR2 batteries? I'm thinking I probably should get myself at least one spare to take to VIC with me. I've left it a little bit late to grab some off ebay. I looked in every shop I could think of that would have batteries while at Garden City last night but no joy.

Battery World would surely stock them?

http://www.batteryworld.com.au/store-list

Camera stores might stock them as well.
    Ping, Callaway, Wilson Staff, Cleveland, Odyssey & Bridgestone - the United Nations of golf gear

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    Do any Perth folks know of somewhere local that stocks CR2 batteries? I'm thinking I probably should get myself at least one spare to take to VIC with me. I've left it a little bit late to grab some off ebay. I looked in every shop I could think of that would have batteries while at Garden City last night but no joy.
    Try eBay mate

Thread Information