Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Default King of the Flip!!!

Hi Guys

I have a friend when he used to play regularly he would be a 6-7marker and is now off 13. I think his biggest problem is he flips the hell out his hands at impact, as a result he hits sky high balls with lots of spin and not much control or consistency. Has anyone here have/had the same problem and could recommend and drills to stop it.

Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Yes, No.

but apparently this might help. Get an old shaft and shove it into the end of your grip, so now the club is twice as long. Now hit balls without whacking yourself in the side on your follow through.

Note: it bloody hurts.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Yes, No.

but apparently this might help. Get an old shaft and shove it into the end of your grip, so now the club is twice as long. Now hit balls without whacking yourself in the side on your follow through.

Note: it bloody hurts.
    Yep, that is a good one. If you can get hold of a Taly, that will also give you instant feedback on whether you are flipping or not.

http://www.taly.com/

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It can happen to anybody, even the pros suffer from the occasional flip. It is not only caused by an over the top action and early release, but also by swinging at the ball and not through it. The old teachers in the hickory era would set up something in front of the ball and get the student to swing through ball position and drive through the obstacle, be it a small mound of sand or a bundle of wax matches. Norman recommended hitting an imaginary ball 6 inches past the ball position. The purpose is to have the hands or grip end of the club ahead of the club head at impact by keeping the top hand ahead of the bottom hand.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)
    Blog Entries

i am basically who you described in your first post.

I was at 7 at the start of the year, blew out to 11 (anchored) and now just making my way back down (im at 9)

I flip my wrists something chronic. I get a ridiculous amount of spin, hit my driver further than most and my irons shorter than all.

the shaft through the grip thing sounds effing painful!
    Callaway RAZR-fit XTreme (9.5*,S) ,MATRIX 7M3 Black Tie X |TAYLORMADE RBZ Tour Spoon 13*, UST VTS Silver 60X SPX TOUR |TAYLORMADE RBZ Rescue 19*, UST VTS Silver 75HS SPX TOUR | PING i20 (4-W), Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 X | Nike Vr50.10, 54.12 and 58.10| NIKE Method 001 34"

He is sort of the opposite. Spins it heaps with the driver and hits it about 20m shorter than me, but he is about 1.5 to 2 club longer in the irons. He can hit is 9iron 145m compared to my 125m.

Blog Entries

Ah ok. Yeah that is opposite. I actually manage to keep a FLW @ impact with the driver.

Anyway; I will keep my eye on this thread. Hope a good drill screams out at me. One that doesn't involve bruising.
    Callaway RAZR-fit XTreme (9.5*,S) ,MATRIX 7M3 Black Tie X |TAYLORMADE RBZ Tour Spoon 13*, UST VTS Silver 60X SPX TOUR |TAYLORMADE RBZ Rescue 19*, UST VTS Silver 75HS SPX TOUR | PING i20 (4-W), Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 X | Nike Vr50.10, 54.12 and 58.10| NIKE Method 001 34"

Is he willing to work hard at it, because in my experience stopping a flip takes a lot of work.

I used to play off 9 practising a lot and flipped the crap out of it. If my timing was on I hit it pretty solid but high and spinny. Spent about 18 months really working on it 2-3 nights a week at the range plus a round each weekend plus who knows how many balls around back yard, rehearsal swings and research time.

Anyhow, end result for me was that I now play of 5-6, never practice and play about once a month. Timing is a lot less important when the flip is less!

For me a few things helped.

I wrist tac-tic and some wooden dowels were the only training aids I used.

The tac-tic is self explanatory, the dowels used as per here http://www.iseekgolf.com/golfinstruc...plane-part-one.

Start with chips, I used to even flip them, hit a chip shot and hold the finish and have a look at the left wrist. watch and learn until it is flat at the end of a basic chip. A big part of this is hitting down through the ball, take a divot, exaggerate it for effect when practicing. I spent a year taking massive divots on chips to get this down, not the best way to chip long term but it was part of learning for my full swing.

Then move up to a pitch, same thing.

Then look at a half swing....this is where I kept breaking down. You have to learn to roll the wrist, if you don't roll it has to bend. Again, observe what you do and you can teach yourself.

Finally you can get to a full swing. That progression is not going to be in one practice session, even if you are bloody good that takes time to work through and sink in.

Blog Entries

I am currently at the chip stage. I can do that pretty well - hitting low spinny chips.

Anything else: and I suspect that I revert to a flip.

I need to work harder on it. It really is holding me back at the moment.

Blog Entries

Want to sell me the tac-tic you used?

Quote Originally Posted by Puji View Post
    Want to sell me the tac-tic you used?
    Did I sell that tac-tic to you, Toolish, some years ago along with the swing speed radar?

Blog Entries

For $15 I think!!!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

i flip massively its why i hit a 12 degree 3 wood about 300 feet and can't keep jack all down. I've started dropping handicap recently and im near certain its just from timing my irons are shagged for consistency and can be a lot shorter than they should be as opposed to driver.
    2014 Goal - Single Figures

The long march begins

Razr Fit 9.5* UST V2 66 gm X Stiff
    Razr Fit 15* 5W PX 6.0 Shaft
    Razr Fit 18* 5W PX 6.0 Shaft
    Rbz Stage 2 Tour 21.5* Axiv 100
    4-PW Mizuno MP52 - Project X 6.5 Pxi

Cleveland 588 RTX 52* 10 - PX 6.5 Flighted
    Cleveland 588 RTX 60* 8 - DG Wedge Flex
    Odyssey Tank Versa #7 40 inch CB'd Floggstick

Any recommendations to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Did I sell that tac-tic to you, Toolish, some years ago along with the swing speed radar?
    Nope...you sold the SS radar to me I think, but I got the TacTic from Ona. And I won't be selling it, handy little bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Is he willing to work hard at it, because in my experience stopping a flip takes a lot of work.

I used to play off 9 practising a lot and flipped the crap out of it. If my timing was on I hit it pretty solid but high and spinny. Spent about 18 months really working on it 2-3 nights a week at the range plus a round each weekend plus who knows how many balls around back yard, rehearsal swings and research time.

Anyhow, end result for me was that I now play of 5-6, never practice and play about once a month. Timing is a lot less important when the flip is less!

For me a few things helped.

I wrist tac-tic and some wooden dowels were the only training aids I used.

The tac-tic is self explanatory, the dowels used as per here http://www.iseekgolf.com/golfinstruc...plane-part-one.

Start with chips, I used to even flip them, hit a chip shot and hold the finish and have a look at the left wrist. watch and learn until it is flat at the end of a basic chip. A big part of this is hitting down through the ball, take a divot, exaggerate it for effect when practicing. I spent a year taking massive divots on chips to get this down, not the best way to chip long term but it was part of learning for my full swing.

Then move up to a pitch, same thing.

Then look at a half swing....this is where I kept breaking down. You have to learn to roll the wrist, if you don't roll it has to bend. Again, observe what you do and you can teach yourself.

Finally you can get to a full swing. That progression is not going to be in one practice session, even if you are bloody good that takes time to work through and sink in.

Thanks Toolish, I can't believe I missed your post.

You sound just like my mate, as he flips his hands drastically when he chips. He is quite a good chipper and can hit lob shots with almost any club in his bag. Downside to to this is his long game is totally reliant on timing (which is what I told him). When get gets a few games under his belt the timing comes back and he stripes it, but the rest of the year when he is playing 2-3 times a month, he struggles.

Those tips looks good and I'll pass it onto him.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Nope...you sold the SS radar to me I think, but I got the TacTic from Ona. And I won't be selling it, handy little bit of kit.
    OK. I sold it to someone on Ozgolf...

now I know what you guys mean about the tic tac. Where can I get one of those???

Blog Entries

I want one also. Is there no one in Aus that distributes it or something similar?

Senior Member Major Winner

You can also get the Greg Norman Secret. Same sort of thing..

But if you want to really get rid of the flip - you have to change how your left forearm works on the downswing.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    You can also get the Greg Norman Secret. Same sort of thing..

But if you want to really get rid of the flip - you have to change how your left forearm works on the downswing.
    I was waiting for you to chime in!!!

I've been looking for the GN Secret for a little while for myself as well. When you say change how your left forearm works, what do you mean. What is it doing now and what it should be doing??

Blog Entries

I'm guessing- left forearm should be rotating?

Also do flippers struggle to hit a draw.

You can flip and hit it miles left.

Blog Entries

I can hit draws. And I am a chronic flipper.

However, if I need to hit a strong draw; more often than not I will hit it a little fat.

Not sure why - but the inside to out path tends to show out the flip.

Thread Information