Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Play

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Default Slow Play

How do you guys keep your Rythym/Tempo when stuck behind a slow group?
    I totally lost it yesterday, we were held on almost every shot from the 7th tee to the finish.
    At 13 I asked to be let through and they said they would tee off and let us through but alas in the rush to get through them we all had bad tee shots and told them to just go ahead.
    I made a complaint to the match Comittee after the game as we are going to follow them today as well. I hope they chase up what they said they were going to do yesterday, "any group that falls more than 1 hole behind will be subject to 2 stroke penalties for slow play" Could be another slow day I hope not.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

goughy

Jaster has a good slow play story from a week ago. I hope he posts it.

Senior Member Major Winner

There's 1 player at my club who is renowned to be slow. Not because he's meticulous, he's just a putz. Even yesterday, we observed he was 50m behind HIS OWN GROUP!

Every week i look for his name on the sheet and try and find a spot ahead of it.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Blog Entries

Are you at Chatswood Fishy? I played with a guy from there at a few open days. Gary ? cant remember is last name
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Legend of OZgolf Touring Pro (European Tour)

That sux grunt.... There is only one thing worse than inconsiderate human beings and thats inconsiderate human beings on a golf course

As goughy's says, last Friday I had a bad day...a very bad day. I did post it in the "what did you shoot thread" but it is worth repeating.

Turned up for a game having just placed my name down the day before. Ended up getting paired with two 45hcp ladies..that was fine..but they turned out to be rank beginners playing in a fairly big mixed comp..not good

So we tee off at 7:35am....man it was painful. All I can say is that we let around 5 groups of social players all up go through, and the group that teed off at 8:50am caught us by the 16th hole We finished at 12:50pm...that's right 5hours and 15mins for a game of golf Was not happy, it takes my an hour to play 9 usually on my own or just a little longer with goughster Worst thing is that these ladies had a motorised buggy (cart) as well!!!!
    RIP 1974-2006

Blog Entries

OUCH ours was not that bad teed off at 7:26, 9 holees by 9:50 annd finished @12:20
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

jaster as (presumably) the low marker of that group, what did you do to ensure that your group maintained its place in the field (I'm not having a go at you, just curious as to what you did, other than let groups behind you go thru). 5 hrs 15 minutes is insane - why were these women so bloody slow? I play a lot with high handicappers and don't find them, as a rule, to be that much slower than low markers.

Pace of play is all about being ready to play when it's your go - how many shots you have, assuming you are not a 25 practice swing spastic, rarely has much to do with it in my experience.

goughy

On a back marker single stroke day a couple of rank beginners can shoot some pretty high scores.

Jack - Trust me...I did all but "YELL" at them to try and encourage them Why were they so slow..

1. 4th 18holes ever for both of them....ever
    2. I checked their scores last week (forgot to mention there was a 19 marker in the group as well) and the best shot 137 and the worst shot 142 I had 76 off the stick and won the gross for the day while all that was happening

I have had a word to the captain who is speaking to the ladies captain, I doubt this will happen again
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

jaster, I can sympathise - I am almost always the low marker in the group and therefore responsible for the groups pace of play as well. I hate slow play and if there is a pace issue in the group I have no hesitation speaking out on the spot. I haven't had to yell, usually the message gets through.

Why were they playing stroke FFS? The womens captain has to take responsibility fo this sort of thing, but the players themselves are ultimately to blame. I reckon I could play lefthanded and have maybe 120 off the stick but it would still only take me 3.5 hours. Its the inbetween hitting shots that is the problem.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sounds like you are in a great position to answer Grunt's question then, Jaster.
    Or in one, in this case.

One thing to avoid is over-analysing your next shot when waiting. Best to think about something else.

True AP...forgot there was a question there

Grunt - In all honesty I think it I was lucky that the other guy I played with was a nice bloke and we just chatted while waiting for the other "2" to chip their ball up the fairway On the 3rd hole it took one of them 7 goes to get over the water and the other 5...I knew right then and there that it was going to be a bad bad day Luckily when I was working before I got sick my job required me to have a lot of patience (Centrelink Call Centre) and therefore I think it seriously did help me heaps in this situation.

Jack - No matter what I said "C'mon girls we better get moving" or even "we are starting to fall behind a bit" they just kept on chipping and chipping. That was the worst thing...neither of them could hit it further than 100m so it was a chip shot basically. I even tried to give them pointers which I hate having to do during a game, they were just rank beginners!
    RIP 1974-2006

Blog Entries

Thanks guys- off to make sure it does not get to me today. Have to hold it all together today and consolidate a postion for the Champs.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Re: Slow Play

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt
    I dont know, i have never thought about trying to keep rythym and tempo, regardless.

now herein lies your problem, your thinking about it.

Unless you have a plane to catch why stress? enjoy the walk, look at the flowers, chat to your playing partners, take a little more time over your shot, its not really that big a deal.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Fantastic advice Blakey This is exactly the attitude I have with the world and think that it helps immensely
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

what do you do when the group behind hits up on you on a reachable par 4 while you're standing on the green putting
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Bit your lip and walk away is what I did ....but if your Shavey when they apologise loudly say "Three Times guys!!!
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Jaster, you need to play in front of me. You wouldn't have to worry about that sort of breach of etiquette. Have never reached a hole in less than regulation before. What's it like?
    WITB -
    Driver - Nessie 9o
    Woods - Turbo Power III+ 3 & 5 wood
    Irons - Oxygen - Type S 3HL, 4HL, 5-PW
    Wedges - xds 56 & 60 degree
    Putter - Tomahawk Sniper

H'cap - 12.7 on 1/1/08, 12.8 on 1/1/09, 13.7 on 1/1/10

http://www.golflink.com.au/HandicapH..._no=4130402024

"I played golf. I did not get a hole in one, but I did hit a guy. That was way more satisfying." Mitch Hedberg

Mate you would have had no problem with this hole..downwind 260m or so
    RIP 1974-2006

Blog Entries

Really need those tips for staying on the job in a slow round guys.  t was not that bad on Sunday as the rain kept everyone on the job of playing and not dordling.
    This weekend will be another story being in the last group and behind all the known slow players in the club.

I really need the tips guys. I get soo frustrated waiting to play my shot. I am 1 of 2 guys who walk the course, the rest are in carts and even that walking to my ball has me waiting for just about every shot.

Please help, any tips will be welcome, am considering taking my wives I-pod.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

No on the Ipod, that is bad etiquette IMO.

Mate you just need to keep telling yourself it is going to be a slow day, do as blakey says. Stop and smell the rose's, admire the fact that we are living in a great country with no bombs goign off around our ears and enjoy yourself!
    RIP 1974-2006

Blog Entries

I thought that too Jaster about the i-pod, I really need something to distract me, the 2 other guys I am playing with are very quiet people so conversations will be limited.
    You can only stare at nothing for so long, I tend to over analyse the shot when I have to wait. I guess if I can play through this I will be a better golfer for the experience.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink

You said it mate, Golf is a test of character as much as a sport. Get through the tough times (slow play, bad golf etc etc) and you'll come out the other end a far better person.
    RIP 1974-2006

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

My advise would be - as Blakey said - enjoy just being there. Don't fall into the trap of trying to stay "focused" on your game all the time. Have a chat, look around and try not to think about your shot until it's your turn to hit. Then go into your "zone" prepare for your shot mentally and physically. You'll tire too easily if you try to concerntrate all the time.

And don't think that golf is a "race". Too many - guys especially- are obsessed with playing speed golf. Golf - like a lot of the good things in life - shouldn't be rushed too much.

And n o way should 45 handicappers be allowed to play stroke. That's why stableford was invented

By the way - next week I'm playing with the slowest player in our club. We call her Anzac.......cos there's a minute silence before every shot.
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl
    We call her Anzac.......cos there's a minute silence before every shot.
    Gold. May i borrow that?

In the round recently at Kyogle, i clocked the 22 marker in our group at over a minute 20 to hit the ball.

Times that by 95 shots per round. We finish in darkness.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Thread Information