Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Slow Play

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I think slow play is relative to what's going on for the day. I've played rounds that felt like 6 hours that were 4.5, and i've played 4.5 hour rounds that felt like 3. Anytime you're losing 2 holes though is inexcusable, that's when frustration builds and your game tends to go to shit because your focus is elsewhere. Common courtesy goes a long way, I was playing behind a single a few months back and he was playing multiple balls (badly), he noticed that me and my partner were catching him yet did nothing to let us through. Continued to play his two or three balls so I hit up when he was pretty much out of range. He cracked the shits, got all in my face and I just told him in no uncertain terms that if you're playing multiple balls then it's just straight rude to not let others play through.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I've found that the only civilized way to get an invitation to be let through is for you to be civilized in return. Wait until you reach a par 3 and ask politely, "hey man, could I play through? I'll be quick and I have something to get to". You start hitting up on fellas and you have no chance of that happening because they're cheesed off.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

During the weekend, we played at a public course, and was stuck behind a slow group... was told they were newbies/hackers so resigned to them being slow
    then we realised they were even slower because there were 3 buggies with 2 players in each... the 2 groups before us merged together into 1 group...

called the pro shop to complain... within the next hole, they split up and sped up their game play....

I actually really don't care about the pace of play that much, it's frustrating when people aren't courteous but 95% of the time you get let through if you ask politely or bide your time. As far as competition play, i'm resigned to the fact that it's going to be slower than a social mid week round given the amount of people playing. But that just gives you time to casually walk to your ball and get prepared to hit your shot.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

One club I played with very small club of thirtyish people. On one hole of the four of us three hit into the shit, I asked (more checking) if we should call the group behind through.

"They can wait" -Club Captain

I know slow play gets done to death but I have some questions after todays round .
    Firstly, we ended up a three today after one of our four jumped forward on the timesheet ( think I know why now ) .
    Group in front was a four with one notorious slow player and the rest arent quick either. Two were in carts , one has to be .
    We didnt tee off until they were on first green (par4) , had to wait on second tee par3 until they left green . Had to wait on every shot for the rest of the of the round and I mean every shot .
    To be fair once they realised we were right on their tails they tried to speed up . The round only took 4 hrs 15 minutes and it was stroke , but it was a mid week comp and four hrs is usually slow .
    Now my question is WHY dont people just let a quicker group through?
    They ended up one and a half holes behind the group in front .they were never going to out run us . Is it a masculinity thing ?
    I once tore my card up and walked off after nine at Warragul because we were a two behind a group of four and they refused to let us through. Even rushed over to the tenth tee from the ninth green to stop us sneaking past .
    One of the slow players tried to apologise after todays game and I said to him why didnt you just let us through , he had no answer.
    In todays situation everyone has a uncomfortable/ bad day . I pull over and let a quick 3 or 2 go ahead , Am I missing something here ?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Am I missing something here ?
    No. Some people are pricks
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Letting you through would have cost them ten minutes.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Bomb them, like Scotty did on 15.😀

Playing at Warragul nearly all the old boys are in carts , not many places to lose golf balls 3 1/2 hrs mid week comp is pretty normal 4 hrs on a bid day Saturday is still the norm . Think you would get lynched if you took 4 1/2 hrs

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Bomb them, like Scotty did on 15.
    Best move ever!!!

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Slow players, Hend said, care about only one thing.

“Don’t ever tell me the guy’s a nice guy, but he’s slow. There’s no such thing. A slow player is a guy who thinks about himself and himself only,” he said. “He doesn’t care about the other two guys in the group, because I’ve played with guys that are slow and they take advantage of two guys that are quick. It’s all about themselves, and no one can convince me any other way.”

Hend did offer a solution for slow players.

“If you’re walking up to someone after the round and saying, ‘Thanks for the game, mate, I’m very slow, I’m working on it,’ don’t tell me you’re sorry and don’t tell me you’re working on it,” he said. “Just go and work because that’s what you should be doing on the range. Work on your pre-shot routine so you can get your shot done.”

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    I know slow play gets done to death but I have some questions after today�s round .
    Firstly, we ended up a three today after one of our four jumped forward on the timesheet ( think I know why now ) .
    Group in front was a four with one notorious slow player and the rest aren�t quick either. Two were in carts , one has to be .
    We didn�t tee off until they were on first green (par4) , had to wait on second tee par3 until they left green . Had to wait on every shot for the rest of the of the round and I mean every shot .
    To be fair once they realised we were right on their tails they tried to speed up . The round only took 4 hrs 15 minutes and it was stroke , but it was a mid week comp and four hrs is usually slow .
    Now my question is WHY don�t people just let a quicker group through?
    They ended up one and a half holes behind the group in front .they were never going to out run us . Is it a masculinity thing ?
    I once tore my card up and walked off after nine at Warragul because we were a two behind a group of four and they refused to let us through. Even rushed over to the tenth tee from the ninth green to stop us sneaking past .
    One of the slow players tried to apologise after today�s game and I said to him why didn�t you just let us through , he had no answer.
    In today�s situation everyone has a uncomfortable/ bad day . I pull over and let a quick 3 or 2 go ahead , Am I missing something here ?
    I'm missing it in your post.

4:15 is very good in a stroke round, how much quicker do you want to go, bet they enjoyed having you standing like a teapot on the fairway or whatever else you were doing to express your displeasure. I'm a quick golfer but if the answer is 4:15 I will happily take it every week. At some point I'm gonna get old and 4.15 will be a good go.

If they lose 1 1/2 holes by the 14th or something similar, why bother letting you through, it won't achieve anything. I can't recall going through a group in the past 20 odd years of member play, its probably gone the way of calling up on par 3s which achieves exactly nothing.

Your point about them racing to not let you through reminded me of a story from many years ago.

I lived at Milsons Point and got the train to Wynyard (next stop over the bridge). When I got on the train there was always a group of people already standing up to get off at Wynyard. Given I couldn't sit down, I was near the doors and hence first off. I could always feel one of the bustlers behind me ready to hit the stairs and rush to work (why). I used to just walk normally but would give them a rails run by moving slightly away from the hand rail, as they took the run, I'd close up the gap, you then got a massive sigh as they realised they had been ****ed over on their pointless mission to get down the stairs quickest. Small joys in the urban environment.

4:15 would be the maximum IMO, even in medal play. It's not the Australian Open

I don't mind if ppl take their time over the ball, if they are quick in transition and even start the routine early (while not distracting their playing partners) that is ok.

My biggest pet hate is all 4 looking for a lost ball. It should be shots first for two of them then take a look time permitting.

I think playing time all depends on which course you're playing and also what sort of event. I mean 4:15 is pretty good for a stroke round at the majority of clubs.

Unfortunately, not everyone is of the same skill level, and some will be quicker than others. People have bad holes and get behind, as long as they make an effort to get back in to position I'm ok with it.

I don't think any rounds should take over 5 hours, but some clubs love to load the timesheet and it can be unavoidable, that's life.

All I expect from my playing partners is to be ready to hit when it's your turn, pretty simple. I also go to golf not thinking about how long it will take me to play, I've booked in for my time, and I'll finish when I finish. If you're time poor, then unfortunately that's on you, that's not golfs fault. Sure it's frustrating when the game takes longer than you'd hope, and there are days when a group is completely oblivious to their pace, but I haven't found it to be a weekly thing.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    I think playing time all depends on which course you're playing and also what sort of event. I mean 4:15 is pretty good for a stroke round at the majority of clubs.

Unfortunately, not everyone is of the same skill level, and some will be quicker than others. People have bad holes and get behind, as long as they make an effort to get back in to position I'm ok with it.

I don't think any rounds should take over 5 hours, but some clubs love to load the timesheet and it can be unavoidable, that's life.

All I expect from my playing partners is to be ready to hit when it's your turn, pretty simple. I also go to golf not thinking about how long it will take me to play, I've booked in for my time, and I'll finish when I finish. If you're time poor, then unfortunately that's on you, that's not golfs fault. Sure it's frustrating when the game takes longer than you'd hope, and there are days when a group is completely oblivious to their pace, but I haven't found it to be a weekly thing.
    I think Maximum Stroke rule needs to enforced more, if you're that precious about scoring potentially have the rule enforced for B and C grades only

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    I think Maximum Stroke rule needs to enforced more, if you're that precious about scoring potentially have the rule enforced for B and C grades only
    I agree that there should be cap on how many strokes, whether it's 10 or a double bogey on handicap.

I think that if the only thing you worry about when you go for a round of golf is the pace of play, then you're looking for something to be upset over.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

I agree that there should be cap on how many strokes, whether it's 10 or a double bogey on handicap.

I think that if the only thing you worry about when you go for a round of golf is the pace of play, then you're looking for something to be upset over.
    Zac Blair has a bell he uses (and promotes), I think this would be a less confrontational way to approach a group who is behind (by the course marshal)

Its 2020, we live in a society where most middle class golfers (with families) have two working parents. Time is precious, more than ever before. 5 hours on a golf course plus travel time is not sustainable in a modern day family.

If ppl don't care about time you will wipe out the core market of golfers
    Last edited by thecollective; 5th May 2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Zac Blair has a bell he uses (and promotes), I think this would be a less confrontational way to approach a group who is behind (by the course marshal)

Its 2020, we live in a society where most middle class golfers (with families) have two working parents. Time is precious, more than ever before. 5 hours on a golf course plus travel time is not sustainable in a modern day family.

If ppl don't care about time you will wipe out the core market of golfers
    I care about time, it's just not at the forefront of my mind when getting to the golf course.

I get as frustrated as the next person having to wait on every shot, thankfully it's not that often.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren't aware of how slow they are and rather than use the warning as a learning curve, they'll use it as a slight against them.
    WITB:
    Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I get as frustrated as the next person having to wait on every shot, thankfully it's not that often.
    Not everyone gets frustrated waiting. Personally I couldnt give a rats.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    You'd EASILY be in the minority then...
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    You'd EASILY be in the minority then...
    He probably would be Lefty but may just have lower expectations than the 99% of fast golfers on this site.

I can play in 3 hours with my mates, we never do because we are playing 4:15 in the field hence I'm probably standing around for an hour or more. I don't expect to play in 3 hours and as long as we don't run too far over 4:30 I'm comfortable enough.

Slow play is IMO unsolvable but manageable. 4:15 is my version of manageable.
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 5th May 2020 at 03:59 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    He probably would be Lefty but it also may but also may just have lower expectations than the 99% of fast golfers on this site.
    That doesnt mean I am not fast or otherwise. I really really just dont care. Sitting around waiting gives me more time to rest because I am overaged unfit bastard. I do care about incessent whining about slow play during play, or if my group isnt keeping up.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

At my current club (TTG) we have a full field every Saturday without fail. There are some slow coaches but generally speaking we all get around in 4:05-4:15. Rarely do we go over that. To me (now) that feels slow but manageable and I am comfortable

My previous club had one members group in the arvo, no other choice. That particular group got around in 4.5-5 hours. This was the main reason why I departed that club. Plus add another hour in total travel time

Senior Member Major Winner

Anything over 4.15 is just completely unacceptable. There's no reason for it.

End of story.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Thread Information