Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Slow Play

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I can vouch for hating losing new golf balls out on the course! Bloody rough.

Usually I look for them (if I've wiped it off the tee as I do a lot) and everyone else continues on.

However a lost ball just off the fairway / green (or two) can slow you down for a few minutes and if it happens a few times, it hurts the times.

I have no issue with people taking their 3 minutes to look, and people playing on within the group. But it's not always X course is a 4 hour course and Y course is a 3:40 course as some courses can take longer to play if it's a windy day / rain / some errant tee shots.

I've been getting around in 3:15 or so in the two's but I've had longer days when I've been chopping it into the rough.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    I can vouch for hating losing new golf balls out on the course! Bloody rough.

Usually I look for them (if I've wiped it off the tee as I do a lot) and everyone else continues on.

However a lost ball just off the fairway / green (or two) can slow you down for a few minutes and if it happens a few times, it hurts the times.

I have no issue with people taking their 3 minutes to look, and people playing on within the group. But it's not always X course is a 4 hour course and Y course is a 3:40 course as some courses can take longer to play if it's a windy day / rain / some errant tee shots.

I've been getting around in 3:15 or so in the two's but I've had longer days when I've been chopping it into the rough.
    this is the primary reason why I use last years (or two years ago) model, @ $2.19 per pill, I ain't worried

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    this is the primary reason why I use last years (or two years ago) model, @ $2.19 per pill, I ain't worried
    Agreed. Can't think the last time I used a new, current premo ball. But still, I'll be looking for the others still as they are findable, and sometimes with a decent score going, you do want to find it.

I've spoken with our club about relaxing the rough in areas to help speed of play, but no one is that worried about it.

In some places, a few inches of rough is penal enough that no one is making birdies or par from that location, and you can find your ball most of them time in a quick time.

I'll keep submitting it but don't see it changing.

We have some areas around bunkers where you can lose your ball 2ft off the green. It's just stupid.

Senior Member Major Winner

Im too fat to get around sub 3.
    Nonsense. Courty and I got around in 2.34 in 30°, and neither of us are lightweights. NEARLY anyone can do it.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Agreed. Can't think the last time I used a new, current premo ball. But still, I'll be looking for the others still as they are findable, and sometimes with a decent score going, you do want to find it.

I've spoken with our club about relaxing the rough in areas to help speed of play, but no one is that worried about it.

In some places, a few inches of rough is penal enough that no one is making birdies or par from that location, and you can find your ball most of them time in a quick time.

I'll keep submitting it but don't see it changing.

We have some areas around bunkers where you can lose your ball 2ft off the green. It's just stupid.
    Matt, from memory you are at Magenta? If so, completely agree with you, committee/owner needs to read Mackenzie's 13 principles, with particular reference to 10

There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of looking for lost balls.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Nonsense. Courty and I got around in 2.34 in 30°, and neither of us are lightweights. NEARLY anyone can do it.
    In carts or running? That would be hard to do walking. When i was in Townsville, the Trainee and myself would do 9 holes in just under 1 hour in a cart. Between us our scores were usually even Par, so not many shots so obviously 2hr rounds are possible. We were motoring though.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 8th May 2020 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Matt, from memory you are at Magenta? If so, completely agree with you, committee/owner needs to read Mackenzie's 13 principles, with particular reference to 10

There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of looking for lost balls.
    Yeah Magenta.

Holes 1,3,4,6,7,8,11,12, and 16 all have areas within 15 feet of the green you can lose a ball 8/10 times.

Don't even get my started on the fairways and rough.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    In carts or running? That would be hard to do walking. When i was in Townsville, the Trainee and myself would do 9 holes in just under 1 hour in a cart. Between us our scores were usually even Par, so not many shots so obviously 2hr rounds are possible. We were motoring though.
    Walking. Would have been quicker if Hoges didn't lose a ball too.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post

Walking. Would have been quicker if Hoges didn't lose a ball too.
    Nice, asshole.

ABSOLUTELY doable walking. Ready to play, and just normal walking pace should be under 2.50 for ANYONE.

Bushy and Solarman did 2.09 in carts, and Bushy and Courty did 2.27 walking. There is NO EXCUSE for 3.25+ in groups of two. That's absurd. 3+ is slow enough.
    GolfMap

Not to mention all his extra putts. 2.5hrs is very impressive for a walking round. Not sure i could do that, not fit enough. but then again I have never bothered taking notice of whenever we got away with a quickie.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Not to mention all his extra putts. 2.5hrs is very impressive for a walking round. Not sure i could do that, not fit enough. but then again I have never bothered taking notice of whenever we got away with a quickie.
    29 putts that day. Eat a dick.

FFS, you don't have to be fit. Courty and I aren't fit. You just have to not be an inconsiderate prat.

Guess that's a hard part for a lot of people though.
    GolfMap

FFS, you don't have to be fit. Courty and I aren't fit. You just have to not be an inconsiderate prat.

Guess that's a hard part for a lot of people though.
    No chance you could do 2.5 hours at some courses, no chance!

No chance you could do 2.5 hours at some courses, no chance!
    Fair enough, not debating that. Shouldn't be over 3 in a group of two though, at ANY course.
    GolfMap

Thats bloody good on those greens!
    You would love those guys that have 3 practice swings!

by that i mean, i just cant walk 200+ metres and then hit straightaway, i really am gassing it sometimes, probably because i tend to walk too fast. That Doesnt happen a lot though, most of the time someone else hits first or have to wait.Thats probably why I dont have any practice swings. Takes up too much energy.

Eat a dick.
    Disgraceful. Post reported.

Fair enough, not debating that. Shouldn't be over 3 in a group of two though, at ANY course.
    Lefty: In a two ball I reckon 2:45-3:00 is the right pace. You want to soak in the serenity, especially if it's a good course. If the course is familiar I can understand

On my own I get around a parkland course similar to Portland (Victor Hbr) in about 2:50, but that is quite a flat short course. For a hilly job like Mount Compass its 3 hours and I am pooped by the end of it

Remember not everyone shoots sub 75 shots on average per round like you

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Most of these slow guys have no idea how slow they are. Played with a guy the other day and before we started he was banging on about how slow players are and a quick round is a good one. He then preceded to take a minute and half to play his shot. Actually stood over the ball for 30 seconds minimum after his numerous practice swings.

I just started walking after my approach shots and often getting to the green before he had even hit his shot.
    Last edited by Ferrins; 9th May 2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Most of these slow guys have no idea how slow they are. Played with a guy the other day and before we started he was banging on about how slow players are and a quick round is a good one. He then preceded to take a minute and half to play his shot. Actually stood over the ball for 30 seconds minimum after his numerous practice swings.

I just started walking after my approach shots and often getting to the green before he had even hit his shot.
    One of the problems is the older peak boomer guys get this real defensive-aggressive vibe going if there is a hint of anything against them and their game of golf

I admit I had a problem with being slow on the greens for a long time. It took someone at my old club to tell me and it (speeding up the process) was the best thing that ever happened to my game

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Try having fewer than 3 putts.😉

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Try having fewer than 3 putts.������
    Im getting better, my goal this year is to get my handicap down to a level where I can play you in a proper matchplay with no shots

Lefty: In a two ball I reckon 2:45-3:00 is the right pace. You want to soak in the serenity, especially if it's a good course. If the course is familiar I can understand

On my own I get around a parkland course similar to Portland (Victor Hbr) in about 2:50, but that is quite a flat short course. For a hilly job like Mount Compass its 3 hours and I am pooped by the end of it

Remember not everyone shoots sub 75 shots on average per round like you
    I'd agree, for most 2:45 is about right. 3 max. And it's easy to "soak in a course" while playing it at a good pace.

Number of shots has zero relevance to pace of play.
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd agree, for most 2:45 is about right. 3 max. And it's easy to "soak in a course" while playing it at a good pace. Number of shots has zero relevance to pace of play.
    Really? Zero? So walking directly from point A to C takes exactly the same time, as walking from A to B to C with a shot at B? What if B is in a bunker? What if it was lost near B?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Really? Zero? So walking directly from point A to C takes exactly the same time, as walking from A to B to C with a shot at B? What if B is in a bunker? What if it was lost near B?
    Hence my point Andy, bear in mind we are starting to debate 15 mins in a sub 3 hour round as opposed to the OP which entails 5 hour rounds. Much of a muchness

Reality is this is a very important topic so the more debate the better for the forum
    Last edited by thecollective; 9th May 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Fine.

Number of shots has so miniscule of a poofteenth of an impact on time taken, that it is irrelevant. Happy?

I know old blokes at Portland who can play in 3:30 without breaking 100, cos they don't hit it out of sight to lose it.

Meanwhile the 8-time club champ can't break 4 hours while shooting 70.

If you're ready to play at all times, number of shots makes no measurable impact.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Slow Play

I called the pro shop yesterday mid-round just to check the status of a group of known turtles as they were on the 2nd fairway and the group in front (who had already gone through them) was on the 6th tee.

They were apparently 'on-pace', even as the first 5 groups had got way in front. Another interesting point was we were the only 2 walkers in the first 5 groups and easily kept pace with the 2's in individual carts for a 2:37 round. Kind of dispels the point that walkers are slower than carters, you just need to be aware of pace.

Slow play is infuriating but I've got to the point where I try with all my zen-like might to not let it affect me on the golf course.
    Last edited by BUSHY; 10th May 2020 at 11:34 AM.

Thread Information