Callaway X² Hot
    Ping G25 3w
    Ping Anser 20° H
    Ping G15 4-PW
    SCOR V-Sole 4161 45/50/54/58
    Odyssey Versa #7

(Alt+248 = °)

GolfMap | WITB | Handicap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

What no-one gets stuck into him for starting threads about the same thing. Where is simmsy

Member Club Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    How do you guys keep your Rythym/Tempo when stuck behind a slow group?
    I think that the worst thing to do is to try and stay focused. I only want to switch the focus back on 20 seconds before I'm going to hit.

There's a few things that I'll do to keep myself occupied while waiting
    - Talk to my playing partners
    - Juggle a ball on my wedge (its amazing how 5 minutes can pass if you're trying to get to 100 bounces)
    - If its a nice afternoon, I'll lie down on the tee box and have a nap! Sure beats getting pissed at the slow asses in front of me.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
    what do you do when the group behind hits up on you on a reachable par 4 while you're standing on the green putting
    Shake your head and bare it the first time . And hit the second one back
    Last edited by Daggs; 29th May 2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Everyone brings happiness to my house,
    Some when they arrive and some when they leave.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Daggs View Post
    Shake your head and bare it the first time . And hit the second one back
    Yes, treat the 1st occasion as accident/mistake. 2nd time is deliberate so back it goes.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by HatchmanSS76 View Post
    Yes, treat the 1st occasion as accident/mistake. 2nd time is deliberate so back it goes.
    Is into the water or bushes acceptable also?

Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Is into the water or bushes acceptable also?
    Absolutely

Senior Member Major Winner

Pick up and put in pocket works if it's a comp.
    lost ball for them and some fun if they ask if you've seen it. "What, the one you hit up on us with? Na sorry didn't see it"
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

You can also stomp them into the ground but it might not end well (see story elsewhere).
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I drew a dick on Bruce's ball with a sharpie when he hit one onto our green while we were putting at the Vic Champs. No anger involved, as I know he can't help being a dead set bomb-launching gorilla and he wouldn't do it on purpose. Humour is the best response.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

It did trickle dangerously to within 10 m of you - the dick was appropriate.

It is weird mix of embarrassment and pride when you think to yourself "This will take a career shot to get there, I can go now. It will just end up short."
    *Plays career shot
    Ummm... Ooops...
    Last edited by Bruce; 30th May 2014 at 02:15 PM.
    The secret of golf it to turn three shots in two. - Bobby Jones

A tale of golfing mediocrity

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    It did trickle dangerously to within 10 m of you - the dick was appropriate.

It is weird mix of embarrassment and pride when you think to yourself "This will take a career shot to get there, I can go now. It will just end up short."
    *Plays career shot
    Ummm... Ooops...
    It was a bloody good shot, which I think does bring up a pertinent point. You generally need to go easy on the hit-upper because they probably have just hit a career shot and it would be poor form to kill their buzz.

I knocked a ridiculous blind 200m draw from behind some trees onto a green a few months ago without realising the group in front was still putting, or that I could even get it anywhere near the green. The extremely frosty reaction that I received upon my arrival completely deflated my mood and I played like crap for the next few holes.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    You can also stomp them into the ground but it might not end well (see story elsewhere).
    I prefer to dump a bucket of sand on them. Amazing the number that they never find!

[QUOTE=LarryLong;1116679]It was a bloody good shot, which I think does bring up a pertinent point. You generally need to go easy on the hit-upper because they probably have just hit a career shot and it would be poor form to kill their buzz.

Totally agree but 2 or 3 career shots in half a dozen holes gets a bit much :-0

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

A member writes to their club asking about what steps are in place to address the ongoing problem of slow play. The response details that the playing time for 18 holes in the Sat comp varies from 3 hours 30 mins to 5 hours 15 mins with an average time of 4 hours 40 mins...The response also says that the onus is on players to improve their pace of play and no plans are in place at present to speed play up...

At our club last year the Captain gave a voucher for a free beer for anyone who finished under 4 hours on a Saturday.
    Funny thing is that there are only 4 groups who tee off before him and whoever played behind him was assured of not getting the voucher.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Biggest issue facing club memberships right now; nothing worse when you have stuff to do on the weekend and your round is over 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the GPS gadgets on the course now I reckon it's only a matter of time before the pro (or someone in the pro shop) will be able to track where all the groups are on the course and how long they're taking to play. Maybe they'll be able to send a message (or warning) to the group remotely. If it becomes easier to police I think clubs will do a better job managing it and will also become more aware of who the repeat offenders are. The technology is probably the easy bit, the hard part is figuring out how to make money from it so someone's motivated to build it.

Personally I hate slow play, I just tee off early and avoid the problem for the most part.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Some battles are best avoided due to their futility.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc72 View Post
    With all the GPS gadgets on the course now I reckon it's only a matter of time before the pro (or someone in the pro shop) will be able to track where all the groups are on the course and how long they're taking to play. Maybe they'll be able to send a message (or warning) to the group remotely. If it becomes easier to police I think clubs will do a better job managing it and will also become more aware of who the repeat offenders are. The technology is probably the easy bit, the hard part is figuring out how to make money from it so someone's motivated to build it.Personally I hate slow play, I just tee off early and avoid the problem for the most part.
    I think there was already something created around gps tracking, golf240 or similar from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Biggest issue facing club memberships right now; nothing worse when you have stuff to do on the weekend and your round is over 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    totally agree, don't play weekends a...because of work but the occasion that I can, I won't waste 5 hours on a round. I would imagine most clubs know exactly who the culprits are, they just need the nuts to point it out in no uncertain terms.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Our club has started printing a report showing the tee times from the previous week and the amount of time it took them to complete their rounds (with no names) - they say that if a group is over time twice they'll get a please explain call and if it happens again they'll be forced to play at the back of the field for 4 weeks.

It's an imperfect science because they're using MiClub to pull the data, allowing 15 minutes or so for people to come in and scan their cards, and assuming the group teed off on time - though the pro is supposed to be monitoring this stuff to make sure nobody gets pinged if they are delayed in getting away etc.

Not sure how it's going, it's only been in for a few weeks (and I didn't play Saturday) but if it is policed like they say it should be I think it's a fantastic idea. No doubt some people will get their knickers in a twist if they get pinged (it has happened before) but you gotta break some eggs....
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

This club I alluded to has constantly failed to deal with the issue in the last decade. They believe that the times are also flawed because it includes time taken at halfway to 'have a break'...There won't be a solution - some members starting to look elsewhere now that subs are due.

I've seen at another club where everybody's name is up on a board and the players that don't complete a round in a certain time get put in RED.
    Three offences and they are told that they cannot play in the mornings anymore and only allowed to play late afternoons until their game picks up.

I tee off at my club in the every Sat. morning in one of the first three groups and we always finish pretty much spot on 4 hrs. Generally quicker if playing Par.
    Usually it is 1 1/2 for the first 9 and then get caught behind the late morning players for the last 9.

We place a 2 1/2 hr break between the last morning tee time and the first afternoon tee time and this seems to help.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Thread Information