Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Slow Play

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I called the pro shop yesterday mid-round just to check the status of a group of know turtles as they were on the 2nd fairway and the group in front (who had already gone through them) was on the 6th tee.

They were apparently 'on-pace', even as the first 5 groups had got way in front. Another interesting point was we were the only 2 walkers in the first 5 groups and easily kept pace with the 2's in individual carts for a 2:37 round. Kind of dispels the point that walkers are slower than carters, you just need to be aware of pace.

Slow play is infuriating but I've got to the point where I try with all my zen-like might to not let it affect me on the golf course.
    You're a better man than I, the 3h 7m round as 3rd group out pissed me right off today.

Like treacle.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I hit off at 12.55pm yesterday, and by 6pm I am on the couch up to my 4th shot of whiskey picked up from Dan Murphys on the way home

That will do me just fine.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Looks like my club are getting really serious now about Slow Play, this kind of policy makes me happy:

PACE OF PLAY
    It is obvious that the vast majority of members are now attempting to employ time-saving measures. Despite that, there are still many groups, including the majority who are employing SOME time-saving measures, who reduce the effectiveness of those measures, by failing to use ALL safe time-saving measures.
    The Match Committee has introduced a Pace of Play Policy as a Local Rule.
    * penalty for first breach: one-stroke penalty.
    * penalty for second breach: General penalty (two-stroke penalty) applied in addition to the penalty for the first breach.
    * penalty for third breach: Disqualification
    The key criterion for our Pace of Play Policy is a group's position in relation to the group in front.
    Many attempts over the past two decades at least, to improve the pace of play, have proved to be successful, but lasted only a short time. Current circumstances have highlighted how important it is that improvements to the pace of play must be sustained.

Edit: more content below:

A round of golf is meant to be played at a prompt pace.
    Each player should recognize that his or her pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including those in the player?s own group and those in following groups.
    Pace of Play Recommendations
    The player should play at a prompt pace throughout the round, including the time taken to:
    * Prepare for and make each stroke.
    * Move from one place to another between strokes, and
    * Move to the next teeing area after completing the hole.
    A player should prepare in advance for the next stroke and be ready to play when it is his or her turn.
    When it is the player's turn to play:
    * It is recommended that the player make the stroke in no more than 40 seconds after he or she is (or should be) able to play (safely) without interference or distraction, and
    * The player should usually be able to play more quickly than this and is encouraged to do so (provided that it can be done safely).
    Last edited by thecollective; 13th May 2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more info

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Scratch my head at this one. We are the last group in the field yesterday with 3 walkers and one cart. Group in front of us is in two carts being two senior couples play mixed foursomes.
    Had to wait on every single shot and they finished more than six holes behind.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Looks like my club are getting really serious now about Slow Play, this kind of policy makes me happy:

PACE OF PLAY
    It is obvious that the vast majority of members are now attempting to employ time-saving measures. Despite that, there are still many groups, including the majority who are employing SOME time-saving measures, who reduce the effectiveness of those measures, by failing to use ALL safe time-saving measures.
    The Match Committee has introduced a Pace of Play Policy as a Local Rule.
    * penalty for first breach: one-stroke penalty.
    * penalty for second breach: General penalty (two-stroke penalty) applied in addition to the penalty for the first breach.
    * penalty for third breach: Disqualification
    The key criterion for our Pace of Play Policy is a group's position in relation to the group in front.
    Many attempts over the past two decades at least, to improve the pace of play, have proved to be successful, but lasted only a short time. Current circumstances have highlighted how important it is that improvements to the pace of play must be sustained.

Edit: more content below:

A round of golf is meant to be played at a prompt pace.
    Each player should recognize that his or her pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including those in the player?s own group and those in following groups.
    Pace of Play Recommendations
    The player should play at a prompt pace throughout the round, including the time taken to:
    * Prepare for and make each stroke.
    * Move from one place to another between strokes, and
    * Move to the next teeing area after completing the hole.
    A player should prepare in advance for the next stroke and be ready to play when it is his or her turn.
    When it is the player's turn to play:
    * It is recommended that the player make the stroke in no more than 40 seconds after he or she is (or should be) able to play (safely) without interference or distraction, and
    * The player should usually be able to play more quickly than this and is encouraged to do so (provided that it can be done safely).
    TC, whilst not wishing to lower the boom on these measures, all have been done before.

The only minor chance of success is if the course is marshalled (by someone who doesn't want to be friends with the members) and the Captain (as part of the match committee) is prepared to go the distance against the inevitable whining some of which will probably come from his own mates.

The complaints will come when you sit behind a group for 16 holes, lose a ball or two on 17 and come in behind. We had a penalty system attached to time behind the group in front. The above situation happened and one group was DQed on a Wednesday. The next week they played in front of the captain, walked the last two holes in and the captain was 20 mins behind and disqualified. Policy didn't last too long after that.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

You could adhere to all these measures and still play in 5-6 hours. Without a nominated time for round completion (and strict policing of such) the proposed policy is destined to fail.

I hate to say it, but Perry and Jack you're on the money. The last 2 rounds at TTG have been 4.5 hours. Every Saturday is fully booked out and the matter of slow play seems to be getting worse despite constant memorandum from the Captain

I hate to say it, but Perry and Jack you're on the money. The last 2 rounds at TTG have been 4.5 hours. Every Saturday is fully booked out and the matter of slow play seems to be getting worse despite constant memorandum from the Captain
    Mmmm, disappointing, but as you conceded, hardly unexpected. Long ago I decided if I couldn't do 4.5 hr golf then I would need to find something else to do.

Remarkably we are doing 3.45-4hrs in our Wednesday comps (fields of 200) which is a joy and I guess can only be attributed to no bunker raking (preferred lies in the bunker) and the pin not coming out. If we can maintain the same pace, I will be advocating for those measures to remain.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Mmmm, disappointing, but as you conceded, hardly unexpected. Long ago I decided if I couldn't do 4.5 hr golf then I would need to find something else to do.

Remarkably we are doing 3.45-4hrs in our Wednesday comps (fields of 200) which is a joy and I guess can only be attributed to no bunker raking (preferred lies in the bunker) and the pin not coming out. If we can maintain the same pace, I will be advocating for those measures to remain.
    PG: the penny dropped last week, as a result the paperwork has been lodged for my new club. All I need to do now is live like a jew for 12 months in order to save up the joining fee

PG: the penny dropped last week, as a result the paperwork has been lodged for my new club. All I need to do now is live like a jew for 12 months in order to save up the joining fee
    You joining the Royal Family now there's a vacancy since Harry left ?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    You joining the Royal Family now there's a vacancy since Harry left ?
    If I stop buying masses of golf equipment and tighten up in a few more areas of spending the ledger balances. So now im all in!

Certainly helps now being an occasional (rather than a consistent) drinker

If I stop buying masses of golf equipment and tighten up in a few more areas of spending the ledger balances. So now im all in!Certainly helps now being an occasional (rather than a consistent) drinker
    Nice mate!
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

PG: the penny dropped last week, as a result the paperwork has been lodged for my new club.
    RA, The Grange, Glenelg or Kooyonga?

RA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We already have access there. Be a good sport and jump over to The Grange please??

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    We already have access there. Be a good sport and jump over to The Grange please??
    If I were single I would join both. I have a close friend who is a member of Grange. If you were dead keen for a round I would probably be able to pull some strings for you

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Hellfire R9x would work.

Thread Information