Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default The iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch circlejerk thread

They have one for Samsung Galaxy's, why the hell don't we have one???

Well with the upcoming press event on Thursday 3AM East Coast Time I thought this would be a good time to post the first leaked "official" apple video of the iPhone 5 (or whatever the hell they're going to call it).

What do you think? The real deal?
    Last edited by LeftyHoges; 11th September 2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

If this is true the 128GB storage excites me!
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Are iPod Touch users allowed in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Are iPod Touch users allowed in this thread?
    They are now... See what a good mod I'd make???
    GolfMap

goughy

Apple are notoriously good at not letting stuff slip. Could be genuine, could be fake. Will know about 3am Thursday, not Friday. Rob's dying to see it. And if there's a new touch. Jas wants one for her birthday next year now that kyan broke the old one.

If genuine I'm impressed with the mission control thing, and hopefully has blue tooth in it too. I have similar access to such features through my notification area on my s3 and it's sorely needed on the iphone. Keen to see how good the navigation is for rob too.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Is the extra pay worth it Lefty?

This thread is always going to struggle to maintain the standards of the other without Yoss getting involved. (Anyone want to donate him an iPhone so he can feel part of the group? - He has had some recent phone troubles)

Gosh I hope that is the real deal, I likey! And I am waiting for the 5 to upgrade. My poor little 3gs is getting a little slow.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

fingerprint scanner is a big call,
    my wife will be doing the same as Clikchic and upgrading from the 3GS.
    i might see what pricing they come out at

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Apple are notoriously good at not letting stuff slip. Could be genuine, could be fake. Will know about 3am Thursday, not Friday. Rob's dying to see it. And if there's a new touch. Jas wants one for her birthday next year now that kyan broke the old one.

If genuine I'm impressed with the mission control thing, and hopefully has blue tooth in it too. I have similar access to such features through my notification area on my s3 and it's sorely needed on the iphone. Keen to see how good the navigation is for rob too.
    Shiza, wrong date! Thanks for the correction Goughy! I would be surprised if there is no new touch, and I think the iPad mini is a go too. Still no huge word on that at the moment though. Would love for the mission control to be real, Apple really needs to thank the JailBreak community for at least 50% of its "new features" over the years. Thing is, is the mission control anywhere to be seen in the iOS6 betas? I haven't heard a thing about it and it's a big thing to just dump into the iOS6 GM without testing first.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer33 View Post
    Is the extra pay worth it Lefty?

This thread is always going to struggle to maintain the standards of the other without Yoss getting involved. (Anyone want to donate him an iPhone so he can feel part of the group? - He has had some recent phone troubles)
    Highly doubtful KS!

Yoss can buy my old 4S when I update to the 5 though!

Quote Originally Posted by clikchic View Post
    Gosh I hope that is the real deal, I likey! And I am waiting for the 5 to upgrade. My poor little 3gs is getting a little slow.
    My GF has her old 3G S as her work phone, I know exactly what you mean!!!
    GolfMap

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It sucks that the missus has an iPhone and I don't. It was a present from work and we only have to pay for the plan. All she does is use it for playing Scramble.

I want a wider screen, not a taller one.

With the change in dock connector I'll probably just upgrade to the 4S and keep that for the next year or so.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thoughts (coming from an android fanboy):

- 50/50 on the legitimacy of that video. It looks like something that a high school media student with a basic CAD program could create in a couple of hours. The iPhone models looked a little more CAD-y than you usually see from Apple's legitimate releases.

Assuming the video or at least the content in it is legit.
    - the fingerprint unlock sounds good in theory, as did the face unlock in Android ICS, but I can see it being buggy in practice, at best. The novelty of face unlock in ICS wore off quickly, and I just question the repeatable consistency of a small fingerprint scanner that is only getting a look at a portion of the fingerprint as it is. That and the processing time to read the print, encrypt/unencrypt the data and unlock the phone, seems like it would take longer than a swipe and pin system.
    - micro dock connector: bloody hell Apple, making people pay twice what the hardware is legitimately worth just the the privilege of having a piece of half eaten fruit on the back of it isn't enough? Now you're gonna make people buy new car chargers, spare chargers, work chargers, extra usb cords etc too? Every other phone in the world now uses micro USB. Nokias, Androids, Blackberrys, shit, even my Nanna's blood glucose monitor uses micro USB. But you've gotta be different. Its a surprise they don't use a 3mm audio jack so headphones aren't cross compatible too.
    - nano sim: see above. Who really cares how small your sim is. It's how you use it that counts!
    - mission control: *cough*Android intellectual property*cough*. Long overdue inclusion, but yeah, the jailbreak community has been doing the same thing, better, for years.

I'd be very impressed if they can pull off some of the claimed enhancements properly. I think that the real final releases will have more of a handset redesign than was shown in the video ala 3 --> 4 did, but I wouldn't put it past apple to save that announcement until release for added sploosh factor for the overnight campers. I'd like to see a design at doesn't make the screen the primary shock absorber. All the android designers have managed to pull it off. Nokia's could survive a minor thermonuclear attack, so a screen that can survive a vigorous sneeze shouldn't be out of reach.

I think the mini iPad is a joke. Wasn't it the late Steve Jobs that said that any tablet under 10 inches was useless?

All this aside, I predict record sales figures and riots in the street after the initial allocations are sold out (I.e. 12:15am on release day). I also hope to see some sweet nerd fights on YouTube from the overnight campers.

Lobby

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Finger printer scanners have been around for ages. I have an old Toshiba lappy that has it, works fine and without any dramas. But I do wonder the value on a touch device where its screen will be covered in said finger prints.

I would assume that there will be old /new connector adaptors to enable connectivity with old style peripherals etc.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I call bullshit.

Some of the features may be real (and I hope they are), but I don't believe that's an official Apple video. It has CGI mockups instead of real close-ups, the resolution of the animations isn't up to their lofty standards, and if it was a real leaked video it would have been pulled down by Apple's lawyers by now. It's just a well-crafted wishlist, IMO.

On the new dock connector, I don't believe for a second that they changed it just for the hell of it. They have a purpose behind every design element, and I'm sure it will become clear down the track (it could be as simple as space saving to fit the larger battery). Apple are producing an adapter that will sell for only $10, so most of the accessories will still work fine.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Am I the only one underwhelmed...

I see nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary there at all. It looks like an evolution of the 4S.

What am I missing that makes it so good ?

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

I see nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary there at all. It looks like an evolution of the 4S.

Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Ahhh. I see.

Have to upgrade my 4S then...

Anyone know of an iPhone/iPad app that helps you log the work v personal usage split?

Just been told by my accountant that I need to keep a log for at least one month in order to claim work use of them...

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Finger printer scanners have been around for ages. I have an old Toshiba lappy that has it, works fine and without any dramas. But I do wonder the value on a touch device where its screen will be covered in said finger prints.
    This may be a stupid thing to ask, but do you have to unlock it with the same finger each time, if they have it? Me, I don't see them having a finger scanner inside a moving button.

I think it's fake simply because I can't see apple letting this slip out.

Lobsta, there are leaked emails (I think) of Jobs admitting he may have been wrong about the 7" form factor and that it could be successful. I'm still quite happy with my 7" tablet - it's a great size for reading books. Just feels lighter, and more one-hand-able than my wifes ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

I'm totally with you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy
    Lobsta, there are leaked emails (I think) of Jobs admitting he may have been wrong about the 7" form factor and that it could be successful. I'm still quite happy with my 7" tablet - it's a great size for reading books. Just feels lighter, and more one-hand-able than my wifes ipad.

Better form factor for kids too.
    Last edited by kev; 11th September 2012 at 08:36 PM.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

many of the parts have been leaked already, manufacturers are making the cases already, what the iphone 5 will be is no bigger secret than who the next coach of Carlton would be.
    And most of new features been talked about are in IOS6 not the new phone.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    This may be a stupid thing to ask, but do you have to unlock it with the same finger each time, if they have it? Me, I don't see them having a finger scanner inside a moving button.

I think it's fake simply because I can't see apple letting this slip out.

On my lappy you can record all your fingers into the print library if you want to.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Looking forward to see what the mini iPad has against the others in that size! At present I am hearing good things about the nexus 7
    Ronny's Golflink

Lobby. Show me a device with USB that can do what a dock connector can. Word is it will ship with an adaptor form standard to mini dock connector.

Look at how many variations we've had in USB over ye years. Apple changes a connection once in how long?

Video is a fake, CGI everywhere, Apple videos always have there VIP's bullshitting about how good it is, and the way some of the text is written is just not Apple.
    It also had 02 on the sim card, do they have operate in the USA, and it is highly unlikely they would show a carriers name.
    WITB
    Ping G430 LST 9 @10 - Tensei 1K Black 65S
    Titleist TSi2 16.5* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei 1K Black 75S
    Ping G400 23.5 - Vista Pro 80 S or Ping i210 4 - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Ping i210 5-PW - Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 60M -Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Odyssey 7S OG

Thread Information