Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf in Hawaii

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Golf in Hawaii

Going to Hawaii at Christmas time and taking the clubs. Currently have games planned for Turtle Bay. But what other course
    would you recommend. Going to try and get a game at Kapalua if we end up going to Maui as well. Staying mostly on Oahu but
    willing to travel if there is any must plays...

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

2 on Maui, I have played The Bay course at Kapalua but would love to get to the Plantation next trip, http://www.gannonsrestaurant.com/overview/webcam check out this cam for a small view of Wailea golf course, nice track but like Kapalua dear to play.

On Kauai http://www.princeville.com/golf/prince-golf-course on Kauai looks nice but I have'nt played there. Another couple on Kauai are http://www.poipubaygolf.com/courseoverview.html and http://www.marriott.com/golf-hotels/...6/home-page.mi

The other islands are only 30-40 mins from Honolulu and worth a visit.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

We are going to Hawaii on September 11 (yeh I know!!!!! I did not think about the date when I booked the holiday/flights) for 10 days and playing 4-5 rounds of golf on Oahu courses. There are a heap of web sites where you can get cheap rates if your play time is flexible, the one I have been watching is golfnow.com. Still researching which courses we are going to play....Aloha...Stu
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I played the Palmer course at Turtle Bay in MArch and it was great fun.... was blowing a 4-5 club wind too!!!!
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

I've only played Ko'Olau on Ohau and it was nothing short of spectacular. The final nine holes are some of the most exhilarating I've played. You can get great tee time deals through some online sites. think I paid around $30 - $40 for a cart and 18 holes after 3pm. Play it if you can.

Member Club Champion

I'm heading over in November and playing The Challenge at Manele. Looks amazing, can't wait. It will be the only game I get there though unfortunately.

Sunday hack, ive played golf on each of the islands and enjoyed all the courses, Turtle bay palmer has lovely views near the ocean but didnt really grab me the way i thought it would, you know you can play the&nbsp;Fazio for 10 bucks walking after 2pm if my memory is correct, good if your staying up that way.<br>Ko'olau has the toughest slope rating in all of the US, lots of side lies, but thoroughly enjoyable, surrounded by jungle so take some balls, i mean the round ones you hit!<br>If you go to Maui the plantation course is a must play purely because the pros play it in January, big bucks though ($290 odd)&nbsp;unless you play in the afternoon ($150 odd) but a great experience and next time you watch the pros play it you appreciate how good they are (appleby drove the 6th hole on year) if you have the time and the money you can get a deal to play the plantation course in the morning and the bay course in the afternoon for around $90 more.<br>Princeville on kauai is a gem but i think it is being renovated still, played that in the afternoon with a cart for $50 in 2006, best course ive played for that price, jungle rough and massive tee shots over ravines overlooking the pacific ocean. from memory the 7th hole is 206yard par 3 full carry from one ravine to the other, awesome.<br>Back to maui, if you cant get to Kapalua dont forget to try Wailea gold course, beautiful condition and lovely views, or Makena which is next door but only about $70 for afternoon rate.<br>I didnt like the Kaanapali courses, too flat and resort style for me.<br>Which ever course you choose you will love it, some hurt your back pocket more than others.<br>PS if you play the plantation course dont forget to ask for your bagtag with your name engraved and the kapalua name and logo on it, a cool keepsake, i got my son ,my brother and my dad one last time, never hurts to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by sirshankalot View Post
    Sunday hack, ive played golf on each of the islands and enjoyed all the courses, Turtle bay palmer has lovely views near the ocean but didnt really grab me the way i thought it would, you know you can play the&nbsp;Fazio for 10 bucks walking after 2pm if my memory is correct, good if your staying up that way.<br>Ko'olau has the toughest slope rating in all of the US, lots of side lies, but thoroughly enjoyable, surrounded by jungle so take some balls, i mean the round ones you hit!<br>If you go to Maui the plantation course is a must play purely because the pros play it in January, big bucks though ($290 odd)&nbsp;unless you play in the afternoon ($150 odd) but a great experience and next time you watch the pros play it you appreciate how good they are (appleby drove the 6th hole on year) if you have the time and the money you can get a deal to play the plantation course in the morning and the bay course in the afternoon for around $90 more.<br>Princeville on kauai is a gem but i think it is being renovated still, played that in the afternoon with a cart for $50 in 2006, best course ive played for that price, jungle rough and massive tee shots over ravines overlooking the pacific ocean. from memory the 7th hole is 206yard par 3 full carry from one ravine to the other, awesome.<br>Back to maui, if you cant get to Kapalua dont forget to try Wailea gold course, beautiful condition and lovely views, or Makena which is next door but only about $70 for afternoon rate.<br>I didnt like the Kaanapali courses, too flat and resort style for me.<br>Which ever course you choose you will love it, some hurt your back pocket more than others.<br>PS if you play the plantation course dont forget to ask for your bagtag with your name engraved and the kapalua name and logo on it, a cool keepsake, i got my son ,my brother and my dad one last time, never hurts to ask!
    Cheers guys. Well all booked. Staying at Makena on Maui playing the Gold course Wailea and Makena. Then going to try and get a game at Kapalua once we get there, play it by ear. Then its onto Turtle Bay to play both those courses. Have week in Turtle Bay before heading to Waikiki. Looking at Royal Hawaiian down that way or test myself at Ko'olau. Can't wait

GOLFLINK

Sunday Hack, sounds like a good trip, Makena is a good course that doesnt get much of a mention because Wailea courses but worth a play in my opinion.
    Be good to see some photos when you return and a bit of a report.
    Ive always booked Kapalua direct 1 or 2 days in advance without an issue.
    Have a great time.
    Im off to Palm springs and hawaii next year and will play 2 or 3 games whilst away, they look after you well over there.

SH, just wondering - you taking your own clubs or hiring?

Taking my own. Hawaiian Air allows 2 pieces of 32kg luggage.

GOLFLINK

Got back from my trip to Hawaii. Managed to play 7 rounds whilst I was there. Kapalua was the stand out by far.
    Was in great nick but the wind was brutal. Played there only a week before the tournament of champions. Struggled
    to brake 100. Greens were slick and tough to read the break.
    Was staying at Makena so played a round there. Wasn't a bad course. Condition lack a bit. Good view of the resort back down the hill. Best Kalula Pork sandwich at the clubhouse afterwards.
    Just down the road is Wailea. Played both the Gold and Blue courses. Gold is a really good track helps when you play well though.
    Had the best score for my trip, an 80. Blue is just your average resort course, wide open fairways. Had to pull the pin early there,
    got caught in a huge downpour. That was it for Maui.

Headed to Turtle Bay. Awesome resort. Played the Palmer twice and Fazio once. Both have there good holes, but Palmer is better kept. Only
    complaint from there is that no GPS on carts. After all the other courses had them was kind of expecting them. First time on Palmer
    struggled with club choice and distances. Second look was much easier. Was expecting more ocean views on both courses but still picturesque.

Playing with Americans was something else thats for sure. Gimmes and Muligans... No wonder they have inflated handicaps. One guy even gave
    his son a 6ft birdie putt. Another bloke put me down for a 4 when I hit one out of bounds. I said "no I had 3 off the tee". He said "nah that one was
    just a mulligan". Nah mate it was penalty. Make your putts and count your penalties.

Went down to Waikiki for the last week and got ill with Hawaii Belly. No good and no more golf.

Overall awesome trip. Greens over there were very tricky with the grain, left me scratching my head more then once. If the wind blows some courses
    can become brutal. Can't wait to get back next year.

GOLFLINK

GOLFLINK

GOLFLINK

Great report and pics, jeez Honolua Bay was pumping that day. Hawaii is an awesome spot, did you sample the local beers? Big Swell IPA is my fave.

Yeah it was. Went and watch them surf afterwards. Tried a few beers, didn't mind the Bikini Blonde. Went to the yard house and tried a
    few more. But can't remember what they were. Had one that was a wheat beer infused with pinapple and passion fruit. Was pretty
    refreshing.

GOLFLINK

Great write up and pics SH. Hawaii is a magic place. Went there on our honeymoon 5 years ago, almost to the day. Was a year before I took up golf. Such a wasted opportunity!

Are the elevation changes on Kapalua as extreme as they make out on TV?

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Great write up and pics SH. Hawaii is a magic place. Went there on our honeymoon 5 years ago, almost to the day. Was a year before I took up golf. Such a wasted opportunity!

Are the elevation changes on Kapalua as extreme as they make out on TV?
    Yeah they are. Would be a long course to walk. We had carts but had to stick to paths on the day. I knew 18 would be all down hill but some of they others caught me by surprise. I think 6, you hit up hill to a bunker but then it is straight and I mean straight down hill to the green. 9 was brutal, played into a stiff wind and had a valley of death running through the middle. Driver, 3 Wood and i couldn't carry it. Some of the thickest rough on the course down in there. Stuffed if I know how the pro's were putting the second on or near the green... Rated hardest hole on course and can see why.

Gee just talking about it wants me to go back and make amends.

GOLFLINK

Golf in Hawaii is an extremely wonderful thing to do with much serenity and surrounding beach for golfers.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Timely bump. After seeing The Descendants, the missus thinks a holiday to Hawaii is in order. I'll be back to read this and search for other threads on the topic, if things get a bit more definite.

Just recovering from playing the two courses at turtle bay yesterday, the palmer was a million times better kept and a whole lot harder from the tips than the Fazio. Had my first and only par on the 17th with an ocean view. Well worth playing if you are on Oahu just try and play early as several holes are 2-4 club wind difference in the afternoon. Fazio is simple bomb and gouge and good for ego boosting with several short par 4s and 5s to attack. Just not super well maintained tee to green. As Sundayhack said no GPS which would really help on the Palmer when you play it for the first time and second or third time.
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Nice Lucas, make sure you go to Yardhouse in Waikiki for a beer.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    +1
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Will try my best as on the north shore with the family
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

How far from the Turtle to Honolulu? Just checking because the boss and I were looking for our next break.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Thread Information