44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks Are Funny

6 13.64%
  • Shanks Are Bloody Funny

38 86.36%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 24 64 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 1930

Had a couple on Sunday, one went in the drink, the other was saved from the same fate by a tree. Along with those, a handful of idiot 2m chips after the club dug into the ground, something I haven't done for some time. Hopefully next round I can get back to my usual reasonable short game.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Checking in with a special story on our par 3 ninth. I could argue that my tee shot wasn't a genuine one, but it did go in a horrible spot. I could argue that the shot from there wasn't quite a real one, but it did go right of target into a bunker. But I can't argue the bunker shot. It was unable to be disputed.

So there it is, a rare three in a row sequence. Not only did they come from nowhere on a good ball striking day, I didn't hit any others afterward.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Major Winner

Bump for someone on the Par 3 4th at Murray Bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    Bump for someone on the Par 3 4th at Murray Bridge
    As pure as mine was I would like to make an honourable mention to the chap in the group ahead who's first shot of the day was a square cut OOB
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    As pure as mine was I would like to make an honourable mention to the chap in the group ahead who's first shot of the day was a square cut OOB
    And towards your car.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Self reporting. My home club open this weekend. 3 over par teeing up on the 9th, flay it right, chip it out. 85m in, grab the 54 and hit the most pure shank ever. None of this skanky low right crap. 45 degrees right but flighted nicely into the trees about 40 metres ahead of me.

Made a triple there, then parred the back nine. Bloody stupid game!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

One for me on Sunday. I'd already put my driver into the trees, then hit a tree on my attempted punch out. I was left with a full 8 iron over the trees to get on the green. I've been playing around with my setup a little bit lately, and I got a bit too close to the ball for this one, and made some nice hosel contact. Fortunately, it missed all the trees and ended up 30m or so right of the green.

I will own up to one yesterday.
    Tee shot on the short par 3. 45 degree right.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Hi. Two today. One out of a bunker, which I have been playing well out of, and another for a chip. Please don't be a continuing trend and have three next time.

Member Teaching Pro

Had one yesterday. Full blooded 9 iron into a short par 3. Still managed to go over the creek, past the ladies and out onto the 12th fairway. This thing had a legitimate ball flight to it
    Bag
    Taylormade Sim2 9* with Hzrdus Smoke Blank RDX 6.0 Flex
    Titleist 915D 15* with Diamana White S Flex
    Taylormade P7MB 3 - PW with KBS Tour 120 S Flex
    Titleist SM5 - 50.08* Satin, SM4 54.14* Satin, SM4 58.08* Satin
    TM Spider X
    ProV1x | Taylormade TP5
    Ping Camo Hoofer Stand Bag

Choplink

Clubs are too expensive to break these days. Or maybe I'm just getting older

Checking in for one yesterday.

Xmas Cup round at Super 60 Kenton Valley.
    Last hole of the day 143m Par 3. Aim at the tall Pine Tree on the start of the hill on the right. Have thoughts of don't turn it over and off it shoots straight right to the top of the hill for no shot back over the tall Pine Tree. In the context of hosel rockets this was a rather poor one as it only just touched part of the hosel not giving it that neck snapping side spin.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

First hole, 350 metres. Smoked a drive, 80 metres to the flag confidence sky high!. Cold out of the hosel, confidence gone!

Scrambled it around for a few more holes then hit what my mate described as a tour shank on the fifth The one where part of the the ball hits the face and part hits the hosel and it sort fo flies like a really bad block.

Neadless to say it was not my best round!

One shank per round in my last three rounds; all different, but each special in their own way. I wouldn't want to claim a favourite.

1. Eighth tee at Maleny with a 6I, after my round was already in the toilet. Thanks to 3pp for shanking off the same tee immediately after in sympathy.
    2. Approach to the 7th green at Maroochy, and I power hoselled my pitching wedge long and 30m right of target.
    3. Short sided near the 4th green at Wolston, I tried to bump my gap wedge into the bank in front of the green, and got hosel. I flopped the "recovery" shot to a few centimetres.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    One shank per round in my last three rounds; all different, but each special in their own way. I wouldn't want to claim a favourite.

1. Eighth tee at Maleny with a 6I, after my round was already in the toilet. Thanks to 3pp for shanking off the same tee immediately after in sympathy.
    2. Approach to the 7th green at Maroochy, and I power hoselled my pitching wedge long and 30m right of target.
    3. Short sided near the 4th green at Wolston, I tried to bump my gap wedge into the bank in front of the green, and got hosel. I flopped the "recovery" shot to a few centimetres.
    Maleny was a superb duo

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Maleny was a superb duo
    You've had a good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZA68 View Post
    You've had a good teacher.
    It’s much funnier when he does it

Quote Originally Posted by Toolish View Post
    Scrambled it around for a few more holes then hit what my mate described as a tour shank on the fifth The one where part of the the ball hits the face and part hits the hosel and it sort fo flies like a really bad block.
    Ah that's what they are called, I always called it a power shank but "tour" sounds better. Have hit hundreds with a long/driving iron getting ahead of it and trying to steer them.

Was playing Moonah at The National, on the Par 5, 15th and had hit it down the left side, got my driving iron out for the second and tried to hug the left side........oops, tour shank, went about 220m at head height but at 2 o'clock to the intended line, finished a foot inside the fairway line.

My mate is a pro, yells from down the fairway, great shot, perfect lay up.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Ah that's what they are called, I always called it a power shank but "tour" sounds better. Have hit hundreds with a long/driving iron getting ahead of it and trying to steer them.

Was playing Moonah at The National, on the Par 5, 15th and had hit it down the left side, got my driving iron out for the second and tried to hug the left side........oops, tour shank, went about 220m at head height but at 2 o'clock to the intended line, finished a foot inside the fairway line.

My mate is a pro, yells from down the fairway, great shot, perfect lay up.
    220m and finished on the fairway?

Thanks for your contribution but that’s enough now, the grown-ups are talking.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Hit a high hosel rocket today on 4th.

Had 170m in to green from the left hand side of the fairway, just outside the tree line, but still had over hanging branches to contend with. Normal play would be a low punch draw with a 4 or 5i to the front of the green. Tried to hit a high hook around the trees and fired off over the fence into the oval. Took a drop, punched the 5i up to the front if the green, chipped it to 3 feet and missed the putt...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Yep, that sounds like a great shot to me...my tour shank was from 145 and ended up in the trees right about 30 short of the green!

Yep, that sounds like a great shot to me...my tour shank was from 145 and ended up in the trees right about 30 short of the green!
    That’s more like it!

That’s more like it!
    Thanks for your assistance Mick, I'm new to the forum and clearly a bit of a struggler.

Toolish, my contention is you have hit a garden variety shank, a tour shank involves the hosel but like in my example can be hidden from untrained observer. For anyone that knows 15 at Moonah, my shot was 100m right of where I aimed it and ran 120m to get there.

I took a break from shanking in my Wednesday round, but returned to my one shank per round form with one from 65m with gap wedge in hand at Corinda. Oh yeah!!!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Checking in with one of the worst ever. 80m out on our first hole, turned possible birdie into a wipe. Shanking the first iron shot of the day is the worst feeling. But that was the only one, and apart from that I had a great day around the greens.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I kept my average shank count to almost one per round for recent times with my Saturday round at Beaudesert. This was an attempted chip and run shot with a 7 iron when the ball was well below my feet. Shanking from that lie takes a special kind of lack of skill.

Thread Information