Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Network access in shed

I know there are a fair few guys here who have a good grasp on IT stuff so thought I would ask for some help.

I have a PC set up in the shed and I have a wireless network setup through the house. It seems the wireless network is strong enough to reach the shed, but it can't get into the shed which I assume is because the shed blocks it.

Is it possible to get an external antenna or something to get the network into the shed. If so can someone point me in the right direction.

Hope that makes sense. Cheers

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Do a search for wireless booster. You will be able to find these readily at Dick Smith, JB HiFi...all the big stores and on eBay.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I am pretty sure you can buy Wifi Antennas that will fix your problem. Antenna on the outside, hardwired to the inside.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

How far away is the shed and what's it made of?

Yes you can get wireless antennas which will boost the signal and possibly get it to penetrate the walls. Your mileage might vary though depending on what sort of access point/router you have and what the shed is made of (especially if it has metal walls/roof as they tend to reflect wireless signal!). Also if you direct the wireless signal at the shed you may affect the coverage through the rest of the house.
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

$10 on eBay for a wifi antenna extender. Problem solved. You will need an internal wifi adaptor to screw the cable into. Standard fitting.

Senior Member Major Winner

It's the Christians fault!!!
    I'm back.

Deep dive of over 6 years here.

Same boat as I have the new shed installed. Wifi is good outside, terrible inside. Stupidly didn't install data cable when we installed electricity / water in the trench to it.

I have my modem set up in the center of the top story of my house - my house has no internal cabling to have anything relocated closer to the shed side of the house. I can't move the modem is it's the only phone port in the house.

The shed itself has it's own separate power circuit from the house, direct from the meter box. I don't "think" ethernet over the power lines will work either.

My initial thought was to install a wifi extender/repeater in the shed, attached to an external antenna that picks up the signal from the house.

Thoughts? Any ideas on repeaters with replaceable antennas?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Just heading to the shed honey

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Power line network

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    Power line network
    Does that work though if the house and the shed are on totally separate circuits?

Technically no but give it a try.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

How big are your conduits, did they leave a draw wire? You can just rip one through the same conduit. Won't comply ACMA standards, but it will work..
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    How big are your conduits, did they leave a draw wire? You can just rip one through the same conduit. Won't comply ACMA standards, but it will work..
    ^ This.

Otherwise, can you hang a sacrificial wifi repeater under an eave, preferably one with a switch inbuilt so you can run cable into the shed? The elements will be harsh on it but tech is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Minor_Threat View Post
    Not big enough unfortunately. We put a 32mm conduit in for power before we buried the water pipe. In hindsight wish i buried a couple. Not a big deal, just an inconvenience.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Deep dive of over 6 years here.

Same boat as I have the new shed installed. Wifi is good outside, terrible inside. Stupidly didn't install data cable when we installed electricity / water in the trench to it.

I have my modem set up in the center of the top story of my house - my house has no internal cabling to have anything relocated closer to the shed side of the house. I can't move the modem is it's the only phone port in the house.

The shed itself has it's own separate power circuit from the house, direct from the meter box. I don't "think" ethernet over the power lines will work either.

My initial thought was to install a wifi extender/repeater in the shed, attached to an external antenna that picks up the signal from the house.

Thoughts? Any ideas on repeaters with replaceable antennas?
    Sounds like u have to knock down the house and shed and start again

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I think mrbluu might be on to something.

If you do decide to try powerline ethernet, buy something from OfficeWorks - they refunded my purchase no questions asked when I grabbed a couple to try out at my golf club for the greenkeepers shed and they didn't work.

I think if you have a different circuit in the shed with something (RCD?) separating the house from the shed it won't work.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by LarryLong View Post
    I think mrbluu might be on to something.

If you do decide to try powerline ethernet, buy something from OfficeWorks - they refunded my purchase no questions asked when I grabbed a couple to try out at my golf club for the greenkeepers shed and they didn't work.

I think if you have a different circuit in the shed with something (RCD?) separating the house from the shed it won't work.
    That's my concern. The shed has its own breaker on the main house switchboard, then has it's own RCD and switchboard inside the shed. I bought some anyway - if it doesn't work to the shed I can run it down stairs to get a wired connection to the media room.

I'll be keen to know how this goes! I want to get internet in my shed too. It's on its own breaker in my power box, and then in the shed has its own main switch plus a couple of safety switches. Was thinking of borrowing my fil's powerline and see if it works.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

If it doesn't work, it will force my hand to make a proper networking solution in my house. Likely to include 2 internal Ubiquiti ceiling mounted AP's, an external Ubiquiti AP pointing towards the shed, then some cabling ran to the office and the media room, all managed in a rack mount in the linen closet.

run some cables.... you should be fine

1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    run some cables.... you should be fine

Attachment 48413
    I wish it was that easy. My house is an older queenslander with vj walls. Hard to do and look neat without cavity walls.

Member Club Pro

Just run a cable. Bury a conduit under a few inches of dirt if you need to or just run it direct from a window to the shed roof!

In my case, I gave the electrician a roll of cat5 to run through the house, but stupidly forgot to mention the shed, which they had to run power to anyway! They ran it everywhere and left the end of the roll running out the brickwork and it sits on an aircon. It's not far to my shed, but it's gotta get under a concrete block retaining wall (1200 high) and road base. If I ever need an electrician I'll ask if they can run it through the conduit to the shed the electricity goes through. But I don't think it'll be that easy. I just figure of powerline happens to work out would be simple.

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    Just run a cable. Bury a conduit under a few inches of dirt if you need to or just run it direct from a window to the shed roof!
    Not an option as the space between the house and shed is finished off and can't be dug up, and it's about 12m from the house to the shed to have a cable dangling.

It's ok, I will make something that tech nerds will proud of!

Thread Information