Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hey parmaster, won't re-quote everything you said there or the whole page will fill up with our two posts...

- looking at your golflink profile you can obviously play better than me, but I still find it hard to to believe you're playing run up shots on those holes...how on earth do you run the ball up on 1 and 2? (I'm asking because that's obviously a shot that I still can't fathom?) I can fully appreciate the need to play a much lower shot dependent on conditions, but still.. 1 and 2???

- I don't actually love the old course at the national, it's very good, but I prefer courses where what you see is what you get? I only ask about the moonah (and the dunes actually) because I think NSW actually reminds me a bit of it (minus the view and friendly members!)

- I don't judge a courses condition purely on divots and pitch marks, but let's just say, there were a lot more than I would have expected (divots are fine, but unfilled is not ideal? the pitch marks on the greens were excessive and did affect putting)... having said that, for new greens, they are pretty pure...

- I can't quite believe how Royal Melb polarises so many people? It's not my favourite (actually you'd laugh if I told you my fav), but bloody hell, it cops some flack on forums when some of the world's best players rate it in their top few...

Might take you up on the offer, but I have promised to visit friends at Royal Sydney next visit and wife is unlikely to allow two pass outs in a weekend, if you're in Melbourne... I play at one of your reciprocals...

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by shankguru View Post
    Hey parmaster, won't re-quote everything you said there or the whole page will fill up with our two posts...

- looking at your golflink profile you can obviously play better than me, but I still find it hard to to believe you're playing run up shots on those holes...how on earth do you run the ball up on 1 and 2? (I'm asking because that's obviously a shot that I still can't fathom?) I can fully appreciate the need to play a much lower shot dependent on conditions, but still.. 1 and 2???

1 is quite easy to run a ball up. Get out a 7i or less and land it less than 1/3rd up the hill otherwise it'll stop too quickly. Also it's a good idea to keep a little left.
    The 2nd I just get out a 3i or 2i (I don't try and run it up when the hole is playing 164, but the 184 tee certainly do), and hit it a little softer and lower and it'll run up no worries. It's a good shot if the pin is at the back as you can land it in the hollow just to the left of the green and it'll scoot up nicely.

- I don't actually love the old course at the national, it's very good, but I prefer courses where what you see is what you get? I only ask about the moonah (and the dunes actually) because I think NSW actually reminds me a bit of it (minus the view and friendly members!)

So you are not a fan of blind shots? RSGC might be your cup of tea then. NSW has blind - semi blind shots on holes 1, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15 and 16.

- I don't judge a courses condition purely on divots and pitch marks, but let's just say, there were a lot more than I would have expected (divots are fine, but unfilled is not ideal? the pitch marks on the greens were excessive and did affect putting)... having said that, for new greens, they are pretty pure...

Unfortunately people are never going to change their ways. It's the same at every course. Bonnie Doon are going through the same struggle too.

- I can't quite believe how Royal Melb polarises so many people? It's not my favourite (actually you'd laugh if I told you my fav), but bloody hell, it cops some flack on forums when some of the world's best players rate it in their top few...

I do need to get back down to RM and try and understand what all the fuss is about.

Might take you up on the offer, but I have promised to visit friends at Royal Sydney next visit and wife is unlikely to allow two pass outs in a weekend, if you're in Melbourne... I play at one of your reciprocals...

Sounds like a plan. I think I might be coming down in November.

Quote Originally Posted by shankguru View Post
    If you're in melb next send me a message, I play a reasonable course that you may enjoy and we can debate further!
    Thanks. Might take you up on that offer. Just goes to show how different our views can be.

I do agree with Pup, I thought the couple of hundred I spent to play RM was a waste but it may be worth having another round to look at it more critically. Maybe I went there expecting it to be something different.

Jump into the new member section and introduce yourself. There's a fair few other Mexicans on the forum too.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Can one of the mods change Pup's name to ParMucci?
    And the mayor announced from Thursday on should not be shat into the creek anymore, because on Saturday beer is brewed.

Bit of a thread mine here looking for info on NSW and The Lakes.

I'm looking at trying to play either NSW or The Lakes when I'm over in Sydney for Xmas. Has anyone played either recently? Or know of any reason to choose one over the other? Such as any renos being done at the moment, or the current condition not worthy of the exxy green fees etc.

I'm leaning towards NSW, even though it will probably tear me a new one with the way I'm hitting it at the moment. Will be trying to book for either Thu 22nd or Fri 23rd Dec. Just booking in as a single at this stage so if anyone else is keen give us a shout.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

GK chat to you Sunday about the above
    Naturally grippy

Senior Member Major Winner

NSW is a gem, a really classic course.

Haven't played the Lakes, but you be disappointed at NSW.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

GK, play both if you can!
    My coach is at the lakes, and there's a member on here I know well that deosnt post much so if you need a hand getting on let me know. If you want a hit with me at the Doon let me know....

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    GK chat to you Sunday about the above
    Cool. Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    NSW is a gem, a really classic course.

Haven't played the Lakes, but you be disappointed at NSW.
    Noted. Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    GK, play both if you can!
    My coach is at the lakes, and there's a member on here I know well that deosnt post much so if you need a hand getting on let me know. If you want a hit with me at the Doon let me know....
    Would love to play both but most likely won't have the time this trip. This is quite possibly my last trip to sydney as an interstater so thought I'd better use that angle to get on at least one top tier course while I can.
    Thanks for the offer at BD. Wil definitely keep that in mind. Only have a short window between 21st Dec and 1st Jan and will be in Bathurst for the Xmas weekend in the middle. May try to squeeze in a second game between Xmas and new years. We'll see.

No probs.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Personal opinion, but I think NSW is miles better than the Lakes. Not even a contest.

lol, I wouldn't go that far but......

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think it is an easy choice.

As an interstater, NSW will accept your money, but The Lakes might not. NSW has stunning scenery, The Lakes lets you look at low flying aeroplanes (but Eastlakes is even better for that).

But above all, NSW is a genuinely world class golf course that almost everyone loves. Only people who think Mike Clayton can do no wrong love The Lakes.

The only real positive about The Lakes is that the Australian Open will be there in 2018, so you can play the "I've been there" game while watching it on TV.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

NSW is better than The Lakes...and Royal Sydney...and The Australian. But that by no means means the other three aren't awesome to play. Having a crack at the 14th green at The Lakes in two is great fun.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I think it is an easy choice.

As an interstater, NSW will accept your money, but The Lakes might not. NSW has stunning scenery, The Lakes lets you look at low flying aeroplanes (but Eastlakes is even better for that).

But above all, NSW is a genuinely world class golf course that almost everyone loves. Only people who think Mike Clayton can do no wrong love The Lakes.

The only real positive about The Lakes is that the Australian Open will be there in 2018, so you can play the "I've been there" game while watching it on TV.
    I agree with your comments about The Lakes, I don't like a lot of what Clayton did especially the 13th which was a fantastic hole before he changed it.

NSW is in very good nick at the minute, the fairways are starting to grow nicely after winter. The Lakes is pretty much always in good nick given the kike.

Looks like NSW is the go then!

Thanks for the additional comments/opinions.

Now to spend the next two weeks in the practice bunker prior to heading over.....

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post
    Looks like NSW is the go then!Thanks for the additional comments/opinions.Now to spend the next two weeks in the practice bunker prior to heading over.....
    Nice one. There's some pretty deep pot bunkers at NSW GC with some seriously tall reveted faces. Have fun out there mate.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

A little late getting to the party here but NSW is the one for me. Only played it once back 1998 the day after David Howell won the Aus PGA there. I was 16 and had just carried scoreboards around for 4 days then got to play on the Monday. Shot 79 which included 38 putts in a howling southerly.

I have played The Lakes 5 times in the annual Westfield charity day and whilst it's a great track NSW is definitely where I would go given the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Nice one. There's some pretty deep pot bunkers at NSW GC with some seriously tall reveted faces. Have fun out there mate.
    I will no doubt get my fair share of pot bunker practice at Kennedy Bay this Sunday during the WA summer cup. Could well come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
    Only played it once back 1998 the day after David Howell won the Aus PGA there............... Shot 79 which included 38 putts in a howling southerly.
    Not a bad effort. If only the putter was firing too!

I shot 79 at Rockingham in hail a few months ago. Same same?

Quote Originally Posted by G.K View Post

Not a bad effort. If only the putter was firing too!

I shot 79 at Rockingham in hail a few months ago. Same same?
    Funny how I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago but can remember 38 putts from 1998?

If you do manage time to squeeze in another 9 holes, I would recommend going to Bonnie Doon and playing the new holes. They are definitely worth a look. It will be better than The Lakes when done, in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by jocker View Post
    If you do manage time to squeeze in another 9 holes, I would recommend going to Bonnie Doon and playing the new holes. They are definitely worth a look. It will be better than The Lakes when done, in my view.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I hope they have the Island tee open for you at NSW, and as stated on 3 take a rescue, aim left and then aim left more and you'll be a little wedge from the green.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

I don't generally like taking a hybrid off the tee. Have a habit of getting a bad case of the snap hooks when I do. Sounds like it could work for me here!

Thread Information