Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Had to pull out of playing the Lakes due to work but NSW is locked in. Tomorrow week. Not that I'm counting down.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mackie View Post
    Hope you enjoy the lakes mate, its a great course. We just have terrible greens.

The fairways etc are mint for winter time, just a shame our greens are not. To the point where the Aus Open may be moved this year.

On 13, take 3 iron off the tee, then little wedge in. Don't take driver its a suckers play.
    What happened your greens mate? They were mint when I was there for the Aus open in december
    In the bag:

Callaway RAZR FIT 8.5º (set to open with x-Flex Diamana Whiteboard 83x5ct)
    Cleveland Hi-Bore Fairway 15º (x-Flex Diamana Blueboard 83x5ct)
    Callaway X-Utility Prototype 18º (Projext X PXi 6.5)
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB 4-PW DG X-100
    Titleist Vokey 2009 (Red) SM 50deg+54deg+58deg
    Ping Anser Milled

Basically our greens keeper is an idiot, massive overwatering, so they have no core to them, and basically they are dead.

Yep they were great at the time of Aussie open, mainly due to the Aus Pga stepping in and helping out.

Hopefully they can come back to life
    wtb - 910d3 w/f3 motore, 910f 15*, 910h 18*, 3-PW x forged 09 px6, wedgeworks vokey 54*58*,SC buttonback NP2 golflink

Member Club Champion

That does not sound good!
    In the bag:

Callaway RAZR FIT 8.5º (set to open with x-Flex Diamana Whiteboard 83x5ct)
    Cleveland Hi-Bore Fairway 15º (x-Flex Diamana Blueboard 83x5ct)
    Callaway X-Utility Prototype 18º (Projext X PXi 6.5)
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB 4-PW DG X-100
    Titleist Vokey 2009 (Red) SM 50deg+54deg+58deg
    Ping Anser Milled

well our super who is on extended leave or whatever you want to call it.

How'd you hear about what he has been doing
    wtb - 910d3 w/f3 motore, 910f 15*, 910h 18*, 3-PW x forged 09 px6, wedgeworks vokey 54*58*,SC buttonback NP2 golflink

yep he aint coming back

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Do greenkeepers get gardening leave?
    Forum needs more banter.

yeah all we want to know is the truth, but no one is telling us anything. There are a number of different rumours going around which is frustrating.
    Apart from all the other stuff going on, he is directly responsible for the state of our greens.

Quote Originally Posted by mackie View Post
    yeah all we want to know is the truth, but no one is telling us anything. There are a number of different rumours going around which is frustrating.
    Apart from all the other stuff going on, he is directly responsible for the state of our greens.
    Mackie,

Send me a private message if you would like to know what is happening at The Lakes in regards to 'everything.'

Matty,

Some quick tips.

1st - Take an iron off the tee. Aim 5m left of the left edge of the green, do not pull tee shot. Do not be short on approach.
    2nd - If you miss the green, short left isn't too bad, short right is even better. Do not go long.
    3rd - If playing from the Blue Tees, take a 230m club and aim at the little tree left of the "V" tree and play a little draw. From the forward tee take the same line and hit a 190 club. You'll have 95-120m left.
    5th - An incredible hole. My last two round here I made an eagle and a par. Driver 9i one day, 3i, 3i, 6i the next. Take driver and aim 5m left of the middle of the ridge. If you are laying up take a 170 club and play down the path. From there hit your 2nd shot just left of the shute on the right side of the hole. Enjoy one of the greatest views in golf as you crest the ridge.
    6th - You are better off missing left. Take 1/2 club more.
    7th - Take another club on your approach. Off the tee a 220 shot is all that is needed. Do not be short at all costs on the approach.
    8th - 3 wood off the tee.
    9th - 3 wood again. You are better off on the middle - RHS of the fairway. Missing this green left is the biggest mistake on the hole golf course.
    11th - Left is an easier miss than right.
    12th - Aim at the pin position/path on the 7th green with your driver. Over the hill the fairway actually is further right than you think.
    13th - Long Iron with a draw 20m right of that pole. You don't really need to cut the corner. If you hit a draw the ball will run around nicely.
    14th - RHS of the 15th tee with a 220 club is a good aiming point. Great birdie chance if you hit your tee shot in the saddle. If the pin is down the bottom (more likely than not), don't even look at it and just hit your approach 15-20 ft right of the hole. The ball funnels down.
    15th - Hit the fairway or hit 3 off the tee. Simple. If you can be choosy as to which side of the fairway you hit, the left side is better as the ball runs further around the corner.
    16th - Aim at the highest point on the ridge at the back of the 17th. 230 club is all you need. Very tough approach shot.
    17th - Do not be short right, short left, pin high right, pin high left, long right, long left or long.
    18th - Driver as hard as you can. Aim at the 3rd bunker on the right hand side (370m to reach), 250 to carry all bunkers on left, and 250/275 to the bunkers on the right. If you cannot comfortably reach the green in 2, leave your approach shot 70-80m short.

The most important tip is to enjoy the round. NSW is an extremely difficult course and must be played at least once or twice to understand how to get the ball around safely.

Thats great parmaster. Will print that out too. I appreciate the effort put in that post mate.

I can't wait for tomorrow. Feel like a kid before xmas.

Been in some decent form recently that has disappeared over the last two rounds. Will be forgetting the score and enjoying the day. Weather looks to be great again.

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

One more sleep big fella, have something to eat before you get there because there's sfa in the morning. My mates $ I will be there around 7:30, don't think it's going to be as cold this year, you beauty!
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

We aim to get there about 8. Doing bacon and egg rolls at a mates place at 6am before heading off.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Cracking morning out there for it... you guys have got lucky!

Very late change of plans for me, my wife & one of my young blokes got crook during the night. Had to do the right thing & stay home to make sure they are ok. It's not helping that my mates have been sending me picture messages all morning. Couldn't have asked for a better day out there by the look of it
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JADO75 View Post
    Very late change of plans for me, my wife & one of my young blokes got crook during the night. Had to do the right thing & stay home to make sure they are ok. It's not helping that my mates have been sending me picture messages all morning. Couldn't have asked for a better day out there by the look of it
    Bugger mate....that sucks. Hope the fam get better soon and you get rewarded for being father/husband of the year.

Blog Entries

We are expecting a full report here guys.

Self Appointed Matchplay Nazi.
    Elite Endurance Athlete.
    Proud Blue Arseclown. Vocal Minority.

In the bag ...

Driver - Ping I15 9.5 Stiff Shaft.
    3W - RBZ
    Hybrids - Titleist 913 17 and 22 deg.
    Irons - Ping I5's
    Wedges - Titleist Oilcan
    Putter - Rife Deep Blue

http://www.golflink.com.au/handicap-history/?golflink_No=4010200385
    http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Marto65

You're a better man than me Jado!

I honestly cannot think that a golf course could be better than the one I played today. I haven't played many compared to some but I've played Royal Melbourne and except for the greens and bunkering it doesn't even come close. We had the course at its mildest. On certain parts of the course the wind was worth plus or minus one club but was basically windstill for NSW. It would be very scary in a wind.

The cheat sheet from parmaster and some of the tips from the others came in very, very handy, especially on some of those doglegs and blind driving holes. I didn't play too badly and I can't believe I'm saying that for 26 points, which included 5 wipes. Most holes were wipe or par, only had a couple of one pointers the whole round.

The fairways were perfect with tight lies. The greens were not really fast and were actually on a par with my course at the moment. But the role is so true and they are beautiful to putt on. The bunkers are murder with their steep walls. Had a hitler in one.

I parred all the par fives. Went crap on the par 3's, the misses are costly. The par 4's are mostly tough to very tough, except for 9 and 10 which are almost driveable. 1 is driveable but you'd be mad to try it if trying to score. 4iron and PW or SW was all that was needed on hole 1.

I took the big dog on 5 and easily cleared the crest. I hit a draw over the crest and it went miles down the other side into the waste area/bunker down the left side. Had a horrible lie and chopped it 30m into the next waste bunker, another wedge to middle of green, 2 putts for par.

More than any course I've played on you have to know where to hit it and distances. Just beautifully designed. Just not a boring hole on the course. The hole indexes are accurate. The harder holes are just tough holes in anyones book I reckon.

If you haven't played here put it on your bucket list.
    Last edited by matty; 17th July 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Sounds like you had a good day! I have not played NSW for about 8 years. They used to have the course setup the same the Monday after any open events and we played there the day after Aaron Baddely won there, that really highlights how good the pro's are. With regards to knowing how to play the course.....my mate's father was a member there for many many years and was still playing off 5 there when he was 74!
    Ping G430 10K 10.5* Ping Tour 65S Shaft
    Royal Collection 18* 5 Wood
    Ping G425 3/4 Hybrid Stock Regular
    Cobra MIM King 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Ping Glide 3.0 56/60
    Scotty Newport

Before I start, love the course (in my top 10)... BUT:

- the fairways are not pristine, I played it a couple of times a few weeks back and haven't seen a course of such standing where the members cared less about the condition, there were divots everywhere (most unfilled), several fairways where the middle of the fairway was deemed GUR because of the state of disrepair (i will caveat, it had rained a lot)

- the greens had so many pitch marks it was almost sad to see on fairly new greens, I repaired about 5 or 6 every hole I played because I felt so bad seeing greens like that

- did you not get sick of hitting to uphill greens? it felt like I played the same approach shot 9 or 10 times at least (different clubs of course, but still, surely not every green has to be uphill?)

- also the whole complex near the clubhouse, 8,9,1,18 feel so tight together you could think you're at the local municipal..

- there are a few blind tee shots which I don't mind, but the one on 3 is a very non-sensical line that you have to play, it'd be much better if they cut the tea tree back on the left so it gave you a better line to hit on?

- I'm not a design and architecture freak, but the purpose of links design is the ability to bounce the ball onto the greens... I can't think of many holes you can do that on (maybe that's why I didn't like the uphill greens all the time?)

Having said that, the views are second to none, the members I've met there are fantastic, the stretch going around the water, 5, 6 etc are breathtaking... but from a strictly golf point of view, this is a long long way from royal melbourne...

think about it this way, if the view wasn't there, how spectacular would the course be? if pebble wasn't next to the beach, it'd still be amazing... I don't think NSW would be? In terms of that kind of design, barnbougle, lost farm, national moonah etc are in my opinion better golf courses... if you want a view, NSW is a national park, you can go there and see the view anytime you want for free!

I'm new to the forum, not trying to be controversial, but in case you were wondering... yes, I'm from Melbourne, I don't think my view is Melbourne biased, but you (and I) never know!!!

Disagree with most of the post. Agree partially with the tightness of those few holes. As for divots, they're on every course. I don't get that logic. What do pitch marks have to do with the design and experience of NSW? Certainly wasn't any worse than any other course I've played.

Tee to green I found Royal Melbourne uninspiring, almost boring and easy for a course of that reputation. The greens and bunkering at RM have it over NSW but for mine that was the only aspect. And the clubhouse.

A day after playing RM I forgot about the round. Today I have thought of nothing but yesterday's. Area allegiance has nothing to do with it for me.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by shankguru View Post
    - did you not get sick of hitting to uphill greens? it felt like I played the same approach shot 9 or 10 times at least (different clubs of course, but still, surely not every green has to be uphill?)

- also the whole complex near the clubhouse, 8,9,1,18 feel so tight together you could think you're at the local municipal..
    Great post, Shankguru, but are you talking about NSW. I'm not sure where you are approaching the greens from, but there is not that many uphill approach shots on the course & holes 8, 9, 1 & 18 are not that tight.

- I'm not a design and architecture freak, but the purpose of links design is the ability to bounce the ball onto the greens... I can't think of many holes you can do that on (maybe that's why I didn't like the uphill greens all the time?)
    That's all good & well, but NSW is not a links course. Apart from that, I'm not sure if you have played in the UK much, but many links courses have push up greens or greens that were sited on natural shelves. One thing that works against the routing at NSW are the greens sited on overly exposed areas. In some ways it has been done for dramatic effect creating 'Skyline' greens like the 3rd or 14th, but mostly it has happened because it doesn't have the dune set up of real linksland.

BTW, Pebble Beach is possibly the most overrated course in the world. BUT, it has a tournament or two every year, it has held many majors, & it's public, so Americans see it as the great people's course (albeit, extremely wealthy people). It should still be somewhere in the 30's in the top 100, but I've played quite a few courses in the world top 30 & I consider them all better than Pebble. The golfer starts by playing the first two holes through single fairway corridors bordered by houses, resorts, etc., the bunker placement is strategically poor & the greens play ridiculously soft & over-watered 11 & a half months of the year.

My point re: divots and pitch marks was overall the condition of the course was pretty bad (again, it has been wet) considering the standing of the course, fair to say though that royal was 10 times as bad in the 3-5 years preceding the president's cup. I find conditioning of the course to be pretty important to the overall experience (esp if your dishing out serious cash to play)

I would stand by my comments about links course design though, the greens are set up more for point and shoot golf than run the ball up (or at least have an option)..

I'm with you, the experience at nsw is unforgettable, but that's the view of the bay talking... Have you played down at the moonah course at the national? Would be interested in your views as a comparison...

PS, I'm not trying to be a smug twat, you sound like you know and love plenty about golf... If you're in melb next send me a message, I play a reasonable course that you may enjoy and we can debate further!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    BTW, Pebble Beach is possibly the most overrated course in the world. BUT, it has a tournament or two every year, it has held many majors, & it's public, so Americans see it as the great people's course (albeit, extremely wealthy people). It should still be somewhere in the 30's in the top 100, but I've played quite a few courses in the world top 30 & I consider them all better than Pebble. The golfer starts by playing the first two holes through single fairway corridors bordered by houses, resorts, etc., the bunker placement is strategically poor & the greens play ridiculously soft & over-watered 11 & a half months of the year.
    Thanks Andrew, I was just about to reply to that effect, albeit not as eloquently as you've done. Pebble is a nice location with half a dozen cool holes, but there are plenty of courses around which are much "better" and more complete.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Great post, Shankguru, but are you talking about NSW. I'm not sure where you are approaching the greens from, but there is not that many uphill approach shots on the course & holes 8, 9, 1 & 18 are not that tight.

That's all good & well, but NSW is not a links course. Apart from that, I'm not sure if you have played in the UK much, but many links courses have push up greens or greens that were sited on natural shelves. One thing that works against the routing at NSW are the greens sited on overly exposed areas. In some ways it has been done for dramatic effect creating 'Skyline' greens like the 3rd or 14th, but mostly it has happened because it doesn't have the dune set up of real linksland.

Hey andrew, agree, I've only played pebble once and it was far from the best course I've played (and the lush rough gave me the shits), but I reckon if you took NSW and Pebble inland, pebble would be a better course... the reality is though, both those courses have a fantastic natural advantage and because of that, they will always be pretty damn good courses to play.

Agree with the dramatic effect of the greens, but was the course not intended to replicate similar principles of links golf? The bunkering would certainly suggest so? Haven't played in the UK yet, I've got nothing against raised greens, but was expecting that bouncing the ball up would be an option?

I've not had the pleasure of playing cypress point, but my golf coach has and he reckons it makes both NSW and Pebble look terrible... Must do some day!!!

Before I start, love the course (in my top 10)... BUT:

- the fairways are not pristine, I played it a couple of times a few weeks back and haven't seen a course of such standing where the members cared less about the condition, there were divots everywhere (most unfilled), several fairways where the middle of the fairway was deemed GUR because of the state of disrepair (i will caveat, it had rained a lot)

The fairways are some of the best I have ever played, and there has not been a problem at all with them in the time I have been a member.
    The 14th and 15th fairways are currently GUR'd because they are both located in saddles, and 100% of balls that are hit over the hill on 14 feed into the GUR'd area. If it was kept in play over winter, there would be no grass left at all by the time Spring rolled around. It is purely to spread wear. Same thing on 15. The ball always feeds to the center.

- the greens had so many pitch marks it was almost sad to see on fairly new greens, I repaired about 5 or 6 every hole I played because I felt so bad seeing greens like that

Good on you for repairing that many pitch marks. Keep in mind EVERY course has problems with pitch marks. We have gone to extensive lengths at NSW to make sure members are aware of their responsibility to repair their pitch marks, but unfortunately not everyone does their bit to keep the course in good condition.

I do not see any similarity at all in the approaches to any holes. How can you say that the wedge shot into the 1st is the same as a mid iron into 13, or a long iron into 16?

There is a 30m gap between the 9th and 10th fairways. How is that narrow? Honestly..

- there are a few blind tee shots which I don't mind, but the one on 3 is a very non-sensical line that you have to play, it'd be much better if they cut the tea tree back on the left so it gave you a better line to hit on?

I agree with you that the 3rd needs to be trimmed back a little bit on the left hand side, however that is not a decision that can be made by us. The National Parks and Wildlife Authority control ALL trimming and burning we do on course. They just recently cut down the area between 7 and 13 for no real reason at all.

Obviously you aren't. Links golf is not a 'design'. It is the kind of land the course is built on, and NSW itself is not on linksland.
    I play run up shots regularly on holes 3,5,7,8,12,13,16 and 18. Infrequently on holes 1, 2, 4, 9 and 11. The only holes it is not really a good shot choice is holes 6, 10, 15 and 17.

Having said that, the views are second to none, the members I've met there are fantastic, the stretch going around the water, 5, 6 etc are breathtaking... but from a strictly golf point of view, this is a long long way from royal melbourne...

I couldn't disagree more about Royal Melbourne West vs NSW.

think about it this way, if the view wasn't there, how spectacular would the course be? if pebble wasn't next to the beach, it'd still be amazing... I don't think NSW would be? In terms of that kind of design, barnbougle, lost farm, national moonah etc are in my opinion better golf courses... if you want a view, NSW is a national park, you can go there and see the view anytime you want for free!

You can't just take a view away from the course. If Augusta didn't have trees would it still be beautiful?
    So you must be a fan of holes number 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 at Pebble? Please tell me what makes those aforementioned holes amazing.

I'm new to the forum, not trying to be controversial, but in case you were wondering... yes, I'm from Melbourne, I don't think my view is Melbourne biased, but you (and I) never know!!!
    My point re: divots and pitch marks was overall the condition of the course was pretty bad (again, it has been wet) considering the standing of the course, fair to say though that royal was 10 times as bad in the 3-5 years preceding the president's cup. I find conditioning of the course to be pretty important to the overall experience (esp if your dishing out serious cash to play)

I could not fault the condition of the course at all today. Greens were firm and fast. Fairways cut short and providing lots of run. Tees have good grass cover.
    I find it hard to believe that you judge a courses conditioning on how many divots and pitch marks there are.

I would stand by my comments about links course design though, the greens are set up more for point and shoot golf than run the ball up (or at least have an option)..

That could not be further from the truth. NSW provides an option to run the ball up on most every hole, and accounts for every wind condition. See my point above about this. Come play the course on a windy day and see how often you'll play a bump and run.

I'm with you, the experience at nsw is unforgettable, but that's the view of the bay talking... Have you played down at the moonah course at the national? Would be interested in your views as a comparison...

I have played National Old. Not much of a course if you take out the views though, hey?

PS, I'm not trying to be a smug twat, you sound like you know and love plenty about golf... If you're in melb next send me a message, I play a reasonable course that you may enjoy and we can debate further!

Message me when you come up to Sydney again and I'll gladly show you around.
    My thoughts.

Pup

Thread Information