Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Default GV axes all GAA handicaps bar RACV program

Don't know if anyone else has heard about this, if true (and I am sure it is) its pretty disappointing.

Below is what Matt Pitt from Bushranger Golf has passed on.

Here is the situation as far as I have been able to ascertain. Note that Golf Australia and Golf Victoria have not been forthcoming with any information as yet, so some of the below may be incorrect, but it is the best I can offer given what I have been able to establish at this time.

• Golf Victoria (GV) has reviewed Golf Access in Victoria and, without waring, decided to scrap the program.
    • Golf Access Australia (GAA) is the program established by Golf Australia (GA) to allow non-club members to hold a handicap.
    • GAA providers in Victoria are not being permitted to continue as handicap providers from now.
    • None were consulted or informed until they recently attempted to renew their golfer’s handicaps for 2012.
    • Some of the providers still don’t know as there has been no official communication from GA or GV.
    • There are around 2,000 golfers in Victoria affected by this change – many are very unhappy about it.
    • Golf Australia and Golf Victoria have struck a deal with the RACV.
    • They are trying to encourage these (former) GAA golfers to move over to RACV golf membership.
    • It appears they have cancelled all the other Golf Access providers and handed the RACV a monopoly.
    • A letter has gone out this week (probably arriving today) from the RACV to all Golf Access golfers in Vic.
    • The RACV has been provided with the GAA database to court all GAA golfers to transfer to the RACV.
    • The letter is a strong marketing proposition encouraging golfers to transfer to RACV golf membership.
    • Many golfers may think they have no other choice but to do so if they want to continue their handicap.
    • The RACV has reduced their usual annual fee to encourage former GAA handicapped golfers to transfer now.
    • There is no guarantee this fee will not increase in the future. Monopolies don’t usually foster price competition.
    • GA and/or GV will be doing a press release later this week with more information.
    • It is anticipated there will be a strong negative backlash from the GAA golfers and providers.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Good news. If you want a handicap, join a proper club.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Good news. If you want a handicap, join a proper club.
    ^^^
    This
    I'm back.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I concur.
    Forum needs more banter.

goughy

Is it a bit hypocritical to ban one group but allow another? Were there any particular concerns with the gaa organisation? Or is this just because of a deal struck between the others, assumingly to someones financial benefit?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Hate RACV even more now
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Isn't the Howlong Membership a similar sort of deal, handicap hosting without having to hit a ball at the course?

goughy

Personally I think we should adopt the american system and just allow individuals to submit whatever games they play as they want for handicapping, social, individual, with the mates etc. Then you'd have something to complain about

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Is it a bit hypocritical to ban one group but allow another? Were there any particular concerns with the gaa organisation? Or is this just because of a deal struck between the others, assumingly to someones financial benefit?
    Exactly

It won't solve the problems, it will just chop out one group of providers and be a boon for RACV, national GAA providers like Bushranger Golf and clubs like Howlong. All for the sake of GV pocketing a few extra bucks, its really piss poor.

Suck it up and join a club.

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    Financial benefit, they wont make anything out of this but will be looking to on sell other money making ventures. Did i say i hate them
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkers2008 View Post
    • The RACV has been provided with the GAA database to court all GAA golfers to transfer to the RACV.
    • The letter is a strong marketing proposition encouraging golfers to transfer to RACV golf membership.
    Are there any privacy issues with this?
    Surely GAA can't just pass your details on to RACV, if you belong to say Bushranger Golf.

It doesn't affect me I am club member. Matt's a friend this will be a bonanza for him.

I still say its piss poor.

The biggest impact will be on suburban public courses like Centenary Park or Ringwood that are to some extent a pathway into club golf.
    Last edited by Hawkers2008; 17th May 2012 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aussieashley View Post
    Are there any privacy issues with this?
    Surely GAA can't just pass your details on to RACV, if you belong to say Bushranger Golf.
    Bushranger are not affected they are a national provider.

Banned

What a stupid thing to say. Not everyone has as.much disposable time as you do. I am lucky to play maybe once a month sometimes twice if i am lucky. I am stuffed if i.want to pay upwards of $1000 dollars per year for a membership to play that little amount of golf. Some of us just don't have that time or money to piss.up a wall. While it might be your opinion and that of a few others we are not all in the same boat.

You don't have to spend upwards of $1000 to join a club.

If you play so little golf why do you need a handicap?

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Short sighted decision when all they talk about is trying to get more people into golf.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Banned

You don't have to spend upwards of $1000 to join a club. If you play so little golf why do you need a handicap?
    If i wanted to play somewhere half decent up this way yes i.would need to spend that. Or spend an hour in the car each way. I would like to keep my handicap so i can compete against myself and play in the odd open comp like this weekends nudgee plate.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

cut back on the smokes, booze, pokies, tab (hookers and blow maybe) and there is plenty of time and money for golf.
    Last edited by markTHEblake; 17th May 2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wait a sec, Jack does all that and still plays golf?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

I thought all those vices were encouraged at Helensvale GC.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    cut back on the smokes, booze, pokies, tab (hookers and blow maybe) and there is plenty of time and money for golf.
    Then no fun?? Your a dick blakey. Unlike a lot of blokes on here i actually like my wife and kids and look forward to spending as much time with them as i can. If that means golf takes a backseat for a.few years while they are young then so be it.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jaybam View Post
    Then no fun??.
    read the note I added to the post, and light a cigar!
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

This could be an opportunity for any struggling clubs that want to entice some ex golf access players into their club with Howlong type deals, or something more innovative like a 'once a month' membership at a reduced rate. People who want to play on those terms will still be able to get competitive offers as long as the clubs are free to compete.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

$120 discounted price for the first year. Usual fee is $210 which is about double what GAA was charging annually.

If you start out depressed everything’s kind of a pleasant surprise.
    WITB: stuff.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Cohuna golf club have a good offer...
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Thread Information