Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    goughy

Default Blu-Ray drive won't play DVDs anymore?

We're having an issue with the bluray drive in our media center pc. It went play DVDs anymore. In fact, when you put one in the drive, it doesn't even register in file explorer that a disc has been inserted. No problems with blurays, they register. And play fine using power dvd 9. Even in media portal it registers that the bluray is in the drive, even if it can't play it. But no luck with DVDs. I've tried playing them in mediaportal, vlc, windows media player.

They used to work, but it probably had been a few months since I've played one. I've tried with discs I've watched on this system before and they don't register. Even data DVDs don't show up. I put the windows disc in tonight and nothing.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Had a bit of a look online but couldn't see a solution. And everything I can find tells me the driver is up to date.

The drive is an lg bh12ls38

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Do you have any bootable CD/DVD, try booting off one of those, that will take windows out of the equation.
    Even better if you have a Ubuntu Installer on a flash drive, boot off that, then try and play your DVD.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

Well, part of the reason I discovered this was because we had a power outage yesterday. When I turned the computer back on it was saying that there was no bootmgr and press ctr alt + del to restart. I checked that and found what to do, which required booting from our windows disk. In cmos I set it to boot from CD first t then Hdd, and it started boring from CD, then stopped and the same happened again. But this time when I went to cmos I checked the Hdd boot priority and the order had been reversed. Fixed that and all was good.

When it was started I put a DVD in, but it never showed up. Opened and shut the drive a few times and eventually 'the incredibles' disk showed up, but as 'telephone d1a', but the movie would play. Pt the windows disk in again but it was never recognized. Incredibles in again but wouldn't recognize. star wars bluray in and works perfectly. Seems to have no issues reading a bluray disk. So I don't think it's a cable problem. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive to no avail.

goughy

Looking on the avs forums, seems the drives use two lasers, one for bluray, and a different one for dvd/cd. Seems the dvd/cd laser may be cactus. I might try booting into ubuntu just to give it a quick other try. But may be warranty time.

Thread Information