Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Back to golf after shoulder issues

I am just going back to golf after a shoulder re-co and would like some opinions on wether or not to go to graphite shafts?
    I am no superstar and close to fifty so shame is not an issue either. I have flighted rifle 5.5's at the moment in my Mac MT pro's and am hitting them OK but getting very sore in the joints during the game.
    Will graphite help and what sort are good in irons

dave1

there is plenty of lite steel shafts about

Ns pros (nippon) make 75 gram 85 gram 95 gram shafts and 105 grams

These are great shafts,

Dynamic Gold sensicore R300 or R300 superlite (100 gram version) is a good shaft too for lsower swingers and will reduce vibration (thats what the sensicore does) - I use these as I had a neck injury last year and has to rebuild my swing from scratch

KBS make a 95 gram shaft - a few of our older guys are using these in regs and they are great - lowish kick point too

graphite is ok but I still think there is plenty of lite steel shaft options about

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 had an operation in which besides other things they removed a muscle from my neck that runs to my shoulder and then chemo and radiation. I now have some nerve damage and tightnness in these areas. I went to regular graphite shafts for the sole purpose of if I miss hit a shot or hit a shot fat it was as if I had been shot. Yes graphite shafts reduce the jarring and do take the pressure off damaged areas. I have recently gone back to stiff shafts but still in graphite. so in answer to your question is "Yes" graphite shafts do help absorb the jarring that steel feeds back to you. other will say that you don't get the feel with graphite but that feel is what hurt like hell. pure shots off the middle of the face you don't feel at all.
    Just my experience, hope this helps

I was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 had an operation in which besides other things they removed a muscle from my neck that runs to my shoulder and then chemo and radiation. I now have some nerve damage and tightnness in these areas. I went to regular graphite shafts for the sole purpose of if I miss hit a shot or hit a shot fat it was as if I had been shot. Yes graphite shafts do reduce the jarring and do take the pressure off damaged areas. I have recently gone back to stiff shafts but still in graphite. so in answer to your question "Yes" graphite shafts do help absorb the jarring that steel feeds back to you. other will say that you don't get the feel with graphite but that feel is what hurt like hell. pure shots off the middle of the face you don't feel at all. Just my experience, hope this helps
    Last edited by InsaltZ; 31st March 2012 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Dave I have considered the lighter steel shafts but I am doing it for the reasons InsaltZ has explained, by the way thanks for that reply as well. I didnt reaalise that you could get the sensicore shafts so wil see if I can see a set of irons with that to try out.
    I think it is the bad shot reaction I am going to be looking to quieten up by going to graphite as InsaltZ explained. Maybe I will look for a cheap set in graphite to try out what may suit

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

A mate, in his late 60s, changed to graphite shafts (X24s) last year because of a very bad wrist break that left him vulnerable to any jarring. The graphites made a big difference according to him, and his ball striking improved a lot as well.

This is the stuff I need to hear, gets me excited about getting back into it. A year of Lawn Bowls hasnt quite converted me from golf yet.
    Might be time to troll the pro shop and look for a set

Senior Member Major Winner

I would try the lighter steels first but also (if possible) work on strength & resistance in your shoulder. I had my left should reco years ago (epic fail) and have continued dislocating shoulder since. My shoulder holds up ok but in winter bad shots create quiet a bit of discomfort. Golf &bowls is about the only sports i can play since shoulder.

This is my second time around, will do the rehab properly this time. Bowls is no issue except on the liver.
    The lighter steel would be great but I am looking more for the shock absorption rather than the swing speed. At worst I will go and try the NSpro's in a set but would like to give a set with decent graphite shafts a run to see how it goes

Senior Member Major Winner

Fair enough. Enquired about 2nd op as thing
    GS have improved in 20 years but looks like I would lose a fair % of movement compared to what I have now.

Sorry this is second op but other shoulder this time, to get the original shoulder fixed will get me back to 60% mobility so that will finish golf altogether.
    Doing what I can to keep out of the house and away from the wife, plenty of times I have to put up with that

dave1

I think they make a graphite/steel combo shaft also

I use DG sensicore as I had neck problems last year and these work on reducing jarring - with forged clubs and soft balls Im all good now.

Thread Information