Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Scifi's swing

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Sci
    Please don't fall into the trap of trying to copy positions without the knowledge of the micro moves that elite players make that cause these movements. Everything in the golf swing is action/ reaction or stretch/shorten cycle. Elite players, especially those with tons of natural ability have micro movements that precede the movements and positions captured by the camera, which normal cameras can't pick up. An example is right lateral bend of the lumber spine during transition and the downswing. This happens as a reaction of how the player uses his psoas, quadratus lumborum and glutes during the back swing. Elite players are focused on these micro movements (which are hidden from the rest of us) which cause the movements that we see in their swings. If u wish to really understand the golf swing, then understanding all the micro movements is the key. Then u will be faced with incorporating these mms into your swing.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Thanks Ray, how can I realistically develop knowledge of the micro moves? I play once or twice per week and i probably spend 2 hours per week working on my swing, up to 6 in the lead up to pennant and the club champs. I am not an elite player and i don't have tons of natural talent so figuring out the micro moves and incorporating them into my swing is only a limited possibility. What I can do is see where my gross movements differ from those of the good players and figure out what feel gets me closer to those positions. This approach has definitely worked, even though it would mainly be based on refinement of gross movements. What has helped me a lot is when you talk about what I should be feeling when I make these moves.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Research, mate. Then design exercises for yourself to learn the movements. Work on the exercises every day until they become easy and become a habit. Anybody can do them on an exercise mat.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Scifisicko View Post
    Thanks Virge, not sure what to make of this, i will do Rocco tomorrow. What should I be trying to do - more spine tilt away from the target at address held through impact? The shot is a 2 iron launching at 9*. Im not sure I want any less loft?
    I am not sure if you can see it - but i need you to actively release the club head earlier and a few more degrees on the outside. Your left side and the Pro left side is very different. The Pro right side is much higher and turning on a flatter plane. Your right side is going downwards towards the ball. Check a few frames later to see how much lower your right hip is and an almost hanging back look.

Forget the micro moves for the time being - you will chase your tail for years trying to do that. Your body will work it out if you get the hands working in a half decent manner. The fine tuning bit will come later, i promise it will.

We need to get that release or forearm rotation happening WAY earlier. You can even start to unwind that left forearm on the downswing.. YES it will feel like flipping, Yes it will feel like casting, but it will feel like the club is moving faster and the follow through will work up more with less of a body drive.

A few baseball swings with the club will also reinforce the movement. Shut your eyes and focus on just how early your arms start to rotate in a baseball swing. Imitate that

Thanks Virge, this is excellent, I really appreciate your help. I tried to incorporate some of this and compare to Rocco.

There is not much on him, and this swing doesnt have exactly the right frames. But just looking at his lower body, when our hands are covering the left thigh directly below left shoulder, id say our lower bodies look similar, the cross lines are where hips were at address and although its very dark in mine, i dont see much difference in our hips or lower bodies when hands are in the same spot.

Ray gave me a tip about feeling the weight on the outside of my right foot at the top and that seems to have quietened my feet. Obviously there is a big difference in our right shoulders. Mine is way lower at impact. From behind my shoulders are aimed parallel to the target line and are slanted on a parallel plane to the shaft, to my way of thinking this is because I am rotating my upper body around my spine as hard as I can to keep from stalling...and flipping.

To look flatter on the right side, I am trying to turn my right shoulder towards the target rather than around my spine. Im finding this difficult. Should I be worried about this move closing my shoulders to the target at impact.

Here is the swing and then the comparison to Rocco with lines. Really grateful for your comments as always!

rocco sci lag.jpg
    rocco sci hands vert.jpg
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    Chromesoft

Giving it a rip baseball style, but leaving out flattening the right side.

Because I am so shut at the top, there is only so much forearm rolling I can do before missing the net on the left (the ball hit a double brick wall and caroomed around the deck bouncing off two walls, missing a 3 sets of double glass doors and pinged onto the next door's tin roof). Also i'm flipping again as expected. Keen to get some advice on how to flatten out the right side without closing the shoulders at impact.
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    Chromesoft

Can't see your grip but if it is a 3 knuckle left hand grip with a strong right hand then there should be no reason to roll the forearms during the downswing unless the forearms are consciously rolled open during the back swing. The whole purpose of a strong grip is to keep forearm roll to a minimum. From what I can see in previous vids you have a strong grip. Why on earth would you need to roll them through impact. If your body rotation is good with the elbows close together the strong grip should square up the face with a minimum of left forearm supination as the left wrists moves from radial deviation to flexion/ ulna deviation. You need to get this clear in your mind or nasty things can happen.

Thanks Virge, this is excellent, I really appreciate your help. I tried to incorporate some of this and compare to Rocco.

There is not much on him, and this swing doesnt have exactly the right frames. But just looking at his lower body, when our hands are covering the left thigh directly below left shoulder, id say our lower bodies look similar, the cross lines are where hips were at address and although its very dark in mine, i dont see much difference in our hips or lower bodies when hands are in the same spot.

Ray gave me a tip about feeling the weight on the outside of my right foot at the top and that seems to have quietened my feet. Obviously there is a big difference in our right shoulders. Mine is way lower at impact. From behind my shoulders are aimed parallel to the target line and are slanted on a parallel plane to the shaft, to my way of thinking this is because I am rotating my upper body around my spine as hard as I can to keep from stalling...and flipping.

To look flatter on the right side, I am trying to turn my right shoulder towards the target rather than around my spine. Im finding this difficult. Should I be worried about this move closing my shoulders to the target at impact.

Here is the swing and then the comparison to Rocco with lines. Really grateful for your comments as always!

Attachment 39907
    Attachment 39908
    Rocco = reverse K

Your not... Check out his left side. It is perfect. You are bent backwards. Rocco is covering the ball as well call it.

Giving it a rip baseball style, but leaving out flattening the right side.

Because I am so shut at the top, there is only so much forearm rolling I can do before missing the net on the left (the ball hit a double brick wall and caroomed around the deck bouncing off two walls, missing a 3 sets of double glass doors and pinged onto the next door's tin roof). Also i'm flipping again as expected. Keen to get some advice on how to flatten out the right side without closing the shoulders at impact.
    Scoopy scoop.

Rotate the left forearm way way way way way way more.

Hook the shit out of it.

Then we can get you over the ball to straighten you out

Do you have Skype?

Cyber circle jerk? Can I join in?
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    Chromesoft

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Outstanding

Blog Entries

I think I have spotted the problem, that swing appears to be down the line not across it!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

I love the Golf net you have in the garden, awesome idea

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Easy enough to build, pvc tubing (retic pipe) shade cloth, and some cable ties to attach the shade cloth to the frame. Mine cost a total of $35 to build.

Thread Information