Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 138 of 214 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 148 188 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 5344
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Some companies do, some don't. Bottom of bore to ground is approx 1.75" on most modern drivers (give or take). On old glued drivers, BBGM was 1.25 to 1.5". So you could tip trim 1/2" or so (and many companies do std these days), but I never bother (I don't flush it as hard as you though).
    Cheers Benno, can't hurt me to stiffen the tip a little more regardless, 1/2'' off it is!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I know TT Black and Gold shafts play firm to flex but after ripping the grip off one I found the following, is it possible they are actually X flex rather than S? There are no shaft labels either?

image.jpg

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
    I know TT Black and Gold shafts play firm to flex but after ripping the grip off one I found the following, is it possible they are actually X flex rather than S? There are no shaft labels either?

Attachment 40858
    Looks like it. I have a PDF saved for these and the code matches to Taper Tip X flex. The 385 = 38.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    Looks like it. I have a PDF saved for these and the code matches to Taper Tip X flex. The 385 = 38.5"
    Cheers, much appreciated. I thought they felt really stout! Thinking I'll soft step twice and see how they go.

Cheers, much appreciated. I thought they felt really stout! Thinking I'll soft step twice and see how they go.
    The 385 shaft is a 6i shaft, tip length is listed as 5.5".

The 385 shaft is a 6i shaft, tip length is listed as 5.5".
    I have them 3-w but only need 5 -w so should be able to soft step?

I have them 3-w but only need 5 -w so should be able to soft step?
    Yep, 2 SST = 3 into 5, 4 into 6, 5 into 7 etc.

Banned

Wanted to chop 0.5" of my driver shaft so have removed the grip. Discovered there is an extension in the end of the shaft (not done by me) that's roughly 0.5" long. Want to remove the extension not just cut it off in case I want to re extend it if I don't like it shorter. Any tips on the best way to do this? Could heat it I guess and pull out with pliers but didn't know if I would damage the butt of the shaft doing that. Exy shaft so want to be very careful. Don't want to have to replace it. Cheers.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Wanted to chop 0.5" of my driver shaft so have removed the grip. Discovered there is an extension in the end of the shaft (not done by me) that's roughly 0.5" long. Want to remove the extension not just cut it off in case I want to re extend it if I don't like it shorter. Any tips on the best way to do this? Could heat it I guess and pull out with pliers but didn't know if I would damage the butt of the shaft doing that. Exy shaft so want to be very careful. Don't want to have to replace it. Cheers.
    I've always just heated gently with heat gun, you can tell when the epoxy has given way then pull with pliers..,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I've always just heated gently with heat gun, you can tell when the epoxy has given way then pull with pliers..,
    Cool, thanks L. I thought I could do that but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation.

Keep heating the bond will break and smoke usually happens then pull. Don't concentrate heat to one spot keep moving it around...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A tip on Golfwrx suggested to do this and it's worked fine for me with both "old shaft" type extensions and ones from Golfworks etc.

Take an old piece of steel shaft, slide it inside the extension until it's snug and mark that spot.

Heat the shaft at the marked point with a butane torch (I've also used propane), slide it inside the extension and leave it for a minute or so.

Do that a few times and you should be able to remove it with some pliers.

The idea is not to heat the outside of the shaft just the inside of the extension to break the bond.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Top tip PT, I never stop learning
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    A tip on Golfwrx suggested to do this and it's worked fine for me with both "old shaft" type extensions and ones from Golfworks etc.

Take an old piece of steel shaft, slide it inside the extension until it's snug and mark that spot.

Heat the shaft at the marked point with a butane torch (I've also used propane), slide it inside the extension and leave it for a minute or so.

The idea is not to heat the outside of the shaft just the inside of the extension to break the bond.
    Thanks PT. This sounds like an excellent way to do it. Th only problem I have is I suspect the extension is plastic. I'm would probably an issue either way if it is but if it's a proper graphite extension, I'll give this a try. Cheers

Rich if it's plastic, trim the extension, then drill out what's left in the butt of the shaft

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

A plastic extension will stand a fair bit of heat though. If you spread the heat up and down, as well as around the shaft butt, then it should be enough to loosen the extension enough to pull it. Just be careful not to twist in the early stages, but as the extension comes out and is looser it should be OK to twist a little.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thanks PT. This sounds like an excellent way to do it. Th only problem I have is I suspect the extension is plastic. I'm would probably an issue either way if it is but if it's a proper graphite extension, I'll give this a try. Cheers
    Jazz,

The first one I tried this on was a plastic extension and it worked like a charm.

I just took it slowly and didn't overheat the steel shaft so had to repeat the process a few times until the bond broke.

Peter T

With a steel shaft you can heat it up and twist it out as soon as there's a little movement (no homo!)

It's different in graphite, as you have to be careful with the amount of heat, as well as any twisting, as it may cause some delamination in the fibres at the end of the shaft.

Simplest method, if in doubt, is just to cut the extension of at the end. The glued in piece will make little, if any, difference to performance.

Must try that one sometime...great tip Pete.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    With a steel shaft you can heat it up and twist it out as soon as there's a little movement (no homo!)

It's different in graphite, as you have to be careful with the amount of heat, as well as any twisting, as it may cause some delamination in the fibres at the end of the shaft.

Simplest method, if in doubt, is just to cut the extension of at the end. The glued in piece will make little, if any, difference to performance.
    Thanks mate. I'd like to try and get it out first but if I have any doubt that I might damage the shaft, I'll just be cutting it off for sure.

Thanks mate. I'd like to try and get it out first but if I have any doubt that I might damage the shaft, I'll just be cutting it off for sure.
    Have you checked whether it is actually epoxied in? I don't use epoxy for this very reason.

Banned

Have you checked whether it is actually epoxied in? I don't use epoxy for this very reason.
    Yep it does appear to be glued in. I'm assuming epoxy was used. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it's not loose. How else can you fix an extension in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chappy1970 View Post
    Rich if it's plastic, trim the extension, then drill out what's left in the butt of the shaft

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TourFit View Post
    A plastic extension will stand a fair bit of heat though. If you spread the heat up and down, as well as around the shaft butt, then it should be enough to loosen the extension enough to pull it. Just be careful not to twist in the early stages, but as the extension comes out and is looser it should be OK to twist a little.
    Jazz,

The first one I tried this on was a plastic extension and it worked like a charm.

I just took it slowly and didn't overheat the steel shaft so had to repeat the process a few times until the bond broke.

Peter T
    Thanks for all the advice fellas. Definitely going to try the heating with an old steel shaft first. Sounds like if I take my time to do it, it will work well. I can just see myself stuffing it up if get a drill or saw near this, I'm going to damage the end of the shaft. Will probably just leave it in if the heating trick doesn't work and just grip down a bit.

Yep it does appear to be glued in. I'm assuming epoxy was used. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure it's not loose. How else can you fix an extension in?
    Supa Glue and masking tape mostly.

Banned

Supa Glue and masking tape mostly.
    Oh ok. How do you remove if needed? Can you just break the supa glue bond with some force or another way?

Thread Information