Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 214 FirstFirst ... 4 44 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 5336

I have a question to the club fitting guru's,
    I am ( as always) on the hunt for a driver head and shaft combo that works...well, works for me.
    Of late the story has been low spin, low spin, low spin but I wonder does that really work for distance and accuracy?
    I have an angle of approach too steep ( generally) and my swing path is generally too 'out to in' so any non neutrally weighted driver head I really struggle with.

So I guess the question/s is, what is your view on the ideal spin / launch for drivers and why does a higher spinning shaft / head combo work for some but not for others?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by rqrox View Post
    I have a question to the club fitting guru's,I am ( as always) on the hunt for a driver head and shaft combo that works...well, works for me.Of late the story has been low spin, low spin, low spin but I wonder does that really work for distance and accuracy?I have an angle of approach too steep ( generally) and my swing path is generally too 'out to in' so any non neutrally weighted driver head I really struggle with.So I guess the question/s is, what is your view on the ideal spin / launch for drivers and why does a higher spinning shaft / head combo work for some but not for others?
    Go back to your 910 with the tiger shaft!!!

Default Callaway Opifit Hosel Question

Will a shaft with the original Razr-Fit single sleeve optifit hosel fit in a later version of the dual sleeve optifit hosel or will I have have to get a clubmaker to remove and refit my custom shaft?

Hoping I could just buy a new club and swap shaft.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Pieman; 5th December 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Razr fit, razr fit xtreme, x hot, x hot pro all interchangeable.
    Anything after and including optiforce is a new adaptor.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

thought you were going to ask about how to best apply paint pen to your wedges, pretty disappoint

Senior Member Major Winner

What are you guys using to get "perfect" club length measurements. Currently i am using a clublength ruler down the shaft of the club, while trying to hold the face lines parallel to my bench.

I find that across a set of irons, a will a couple that are a few mm short, a and a couple that are a few mm long. For my personal sets, I am not too concerned. I am starting to do a bit of work for mates, and I want to get it perfect. I have seen these 2 tools:

http://www.aussiecustomgolf.com.au/s...roducts_id=316

http://www.aussiecustomgolf.com.au/s...roducts_id=314

The 2nd one looks to me to be perfect, and covers any lie angle and club type quite well. Is pretty pricey though.

So back to my original question, what do you guys use?

Cheers,
    Ben

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Anyone played around with back weighting and if so what did you use eg: lead tape or a pre fab weight system?
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    What are you guys using to get "perfect" club length measurements. Currently i am using a clublength ruler down the shaft of the club, while trying to hold the face lines parallel to my bench.

I find that across a set of irons, a will a couple that are a few mm short, a and a couple that are a few mm long. For my personal sets, I am not too concerned. I am starting to do a bit of work for mates, and I want to get it perfect. I have seen these 2 tools:

The 2nd one looks to me to be perfect, and covers any lie angle and club type quite well. Is pretty pricey though.

Cheers,
    Ben
    I've got the 2nd one.
    Perfect every time.

Cheers,
    Ben
    I built my own, based on a design I saw perci using;

Golf Mechanix have a great selection of club rulers;

http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.as...%20instruments

I made a home made doodad similar to that, and I found it to be just as inaccurate as using the club ruler. Not terribly bad, but not as accurate as I'd like to be.

Cheers,
    ben

I made a home made doodad similar to that, and I found it to be just as inaccurate as using the club ruler. Not terribly bad, but not as accurate as I'd like to be.

Cheers,
    ben
    The accuracy of the positioning screws is what makes the difference. I find mine pretty much spot on.

Still, I am not sold on the idea that all clubs can be measured by a fixed jig. The engineer in me can't see the precision I'd like without a movable lie angle setup.

For example, G25 3W - 56deg lie angle. LW - 64.5deg lie angle.

Still, I am not sold on the idea that all clubs can be measured by a fixed jig. The engineer in me can't see the precision I'd like without a movable lie angle setup.

For example, G25 3W - 56deg lie angle. LW - 64.5deg lie angle.
    The centre screw at the head end lines up with the centre of the shaft ( I used a pulled shaft to position it) and the outer edge of the heal, so lie angles doesn't really come into it. The club gets slide down the board so its goes to the correct position, the shaft screws are design to guide it into the correct position. I find it works, but it did take some trail and error. The only club that the positioning doesn't work quite as well for are non heal shafted putters.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The centre screw at the head end lines up with the centre of the shaft ( I used a pulled shaft to position it) and the outer edge of the heal, so lie angles doesn't really come into it. The club gets slide down the board so its goes to the correct position, the shaft screws are design to guide it into the correct position. I find it works, but it did take some trail and error. The only club that the positioning doesn't work quite as well for are non heal shafted putters.
    But wouldn't that be depending on all clubs having the same sole radius? If a club had a larger sole radius, the the plan that runs through the bottom of the sole, parallel with the scorelines, then it's not quite right (in my mind). This is what makes perfect sense to me:

club measuring.jpg

Hi,

Measuring your way assumes that all cllubs have the same variables, especially distance across the clubface from top of head where hosel joins to bottom of clubface.

As the SOLE is the club part that touches the ground, I believe club length should be measured with flat ruller running down back of shaft to floor, rest against heel, with club held taking into consideration the lie angle of the club.

Cheerz

I built my own, based on a design I saw perci using;

Golf Mechanix have a great selection of club rulers;

http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.as...ng instruments
    WITB
    Driver: CALLAWAY Epic Flash 10.5* with Fujikura VENTUS VeloCore Blue 6-S
    Fairway: CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH #3 15* with Hzrdus Smoke
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #2 18* GD Tour AD DI-85S
    Irons: Callaway 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW + AW TT XP95 S300
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56-13, 60-10
    Putter: 2019 Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS
    H/cap: 3.8

Clubmaker

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZaustgolfdiscountsQQhtZ-1

But wouldn't that be depending on all clubs having the same sole radius? If a club had a larger sole radius, the the plan that runs through the bottom of the sole, parallel with the scorelines, then it's not quite right (in my mind). This is what makes perfect sense to me:

Attachment 27659
    I understand your point, but is it really going to make a discernible difference? I have checked my measures via other methods and found no material differences (well less than a 1/4"). I don't think I could hand cut shafts to the level of accuracy you seem to be seeking. I assume you are using some sort of cut off saw jig to get them that accurate? I would prefer to spend my time on things that matter, like proper prep, epoxy mixing, weighting etc.

I should add that the positioning of the measuring tapes were calibrated against clubs with known club lengths, so it assumes an "average" sole radius design.
    Last edited by Daves; 9th December 2013 at 09:24 AM.

I understand your point, but is it really going to make a discernible difference? I have checked my measures via other methods and found no material differences (well less than a 1/4"). I don't think I could hand cut shafts to the level of accuracy you seem to be seeking. I assume you are using some sort of cut off saw jig to get them that accurate? I would prefer to spend my time on things that matter, like proper prep, epoxy mixing, weighting etc.
    I do have the means to cut the shafts to the lengths I want (+/- 1mm). I am happy now with my prep, my epoxy, my swingweighting etc - this is the last piece of the puzzle for me to be satisfied.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Anyone played around with back weighting and if so what did you use eg: lead tape or a pre fab weight system?
    "SHANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

Excuse me, ye old club building dudes, I have a new driver head coming, is there any point putting a special shaft in it. ie will it help its performance. If so recommendations and where to get it done live near mandurah but I'm not scared to go to perth to fit it
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Shortylook View Post
    Excuse me, ye old club building dudes, I have a new driver head coming, is there any point putting a special shaft in it. ie will it help its performance. If so recommendations and where to get it done live near mandurah but I'm not scared to go to perth to fit it
    Cheers
    What Driver are you talking about Shorty? Am I right to say an X Hot? What shaft is in the one you already have?

What Driver are you talking about Shorty? Am I right to say an X Hot? What shaft is in the one you already have?
    Yes mate x hot 10.5 reg flex project x graphite shaft

Does the X-Hot have the same adjustable tip as the Razr Fit?
    If so I have a couple of spare shafts your welcome to try, both in stiff tho. Ones a Matrix Black tie and the other is a gold Aldila shaft, can't remember the model off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Does the X-Hot have the same adjustable tip as the Razr Fit?
    If so I have a couple of spare shafts your welcome to try, both in stiff tho. Ones a Matrix Black tie and the other is a gold Aldila shaft, can't remember the model off the top of my head.
    Shorty, I have found both the Project X and Aldila Trinity stock Callaway shafts in the X Hots/Razrs pretty solid shafts for the money. Yes, there are better shafts available, but the improvements are unlikely to be huge, and the dollars involved are fairly hefty. If you are able to borrow shafts to try, like Jackson is offering, that makes it a less risky experiment. If you can get to a good fitter, like Tourfit if he able, then all the better. I suspect a few of the other WAnkers who have seen your swing can give you some more specific feedback on the potential benefits or otherwise.

Shorty, I have found both the Project X and Aldila Trinity stock Callaway shafts in the X Hots/Razrs pretty solid shafts for the money. Yes, there are better shafts available, but the improvements are unlikely to be huge, and the dollars involved are fairly hefty. If you are able to borrow shafts to try, like Jackson is offering, that makes it a less risky experiment. If you can get to a good fitter, like Tourfit if he able, then all the better. I suspect a few of the other WAnkers who have seen your swing can give you some more specific feedback on the potential benefits or otherwise.
    Yea WAnkers will be super helpful. All I'll get from then strokers will be, senior flex or maybe try a ladies ones. Cheers Jackson, I have some vouchers from peel golf so I'll go pock Corrys brain and see what he has. Because I'm getting just the head, I wanted to put something else beside a stock one in it. You know a Xmas gift to myself.

Thread Information