Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Concert Thread

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I was thinking of Falls in Victoria, which sells out more or less every year.

The festival circuit is in for a tough few years. I suspect more than a few will disappear over the next 5 years but I think this will represent getting back to good value for money for the punters.

Just today a friend and I were comparing the BDO line up with years gone past. In Perth, the attendance this year is expected to be 24000, down from the usual 40000. Why? For close to $200, the line up is shit!
    Naturally grippy

goughy

I barely make it to a concert these days. I just can't justify the money I don't have for Clikchic and I to try and go. My only real regrets so far are missing Pink, as now having the dvd I realised I should have gone. U2, when I missed them in the rattle and hum days, but haven't been interested since. Any time the DMB made it here, but I usually didn't know about it. And wouldn't have minded Sade which was a few weeks ago.

I still remember saving up for ever to go see Billy Joel the first time, that was $35. And less than $50 for both Mellencamp concerts I went to. I've seen the Stones which really were the only band I had on a bucket list as such. But I just can't bring myself to the thought of spending like $500 for us to go see someone. I think I've now reached the old fart stage!

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I am the same.
    Last year I wanted to take the whole family to see Santana as well as a couple of others.

For the same cost, we could have flown to Bali or Singapore on a special.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

It is a case of different strokes for different folks - some people would have problems with what some of us spend on golf, others spend heaps on their vehicles, some spend mega bucks on booze (expensive wines etc). The list could go on.

My view is life is short and you may as well enjoy it. Two of my pleasures in life are golf and live concerts. I dont go to every concert available but I try and get to the ones of the artists I really like.

waiting to see if Van Halen are touring Australia, tickets go on sale January 10 but that looks like a US tour
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I agree with Cosmo. The experience can be worth more than the money.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    I was thinking of Falls in Victoria, which sells out more or less every year.The festival circuit is in for a tough few years. I suspect more than a few will disappear over the next 5 years but I think this will represent getting back to good value for money for the punters.Just today a friend and I were comparing the BDO line up with years gone past. In Perth, the attendance this year is expected to be 24000, down from the usual 40000. Why? For close to $200, the line up is shit!
    I read an article last month about how they tried to bring Eminem to BDO. They could conceivably offer him $6 mil to headline, whereas he tours on his own and grosses $15mil.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I agree with Cosmo. The experience can be worth more than the money.
    I agree to a degree. Circumstances can affect things. Saw plenty back in my day. Just been a while since my day.....

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    I agree to a degree. Circumstances can affect things. Saw plenty back in my day. Just been a while since my day.....
    absolutely Goughy, I would love to see a few others like Rod Stewart and Icehouse this year, but kinda blew my budget on the NYE concert. I guess I could try to do the 'sit outside and listen' trick. Funnily enough, both times I tried that, we ended up inside the concert - both times by sheer luck. One was the Who and the other kd Lang.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Sit outside and listen? I don't think I would ever be tempted to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Sit outside and listen? I don't think I would ever be tempted to do that.
    as it turns out, both times we got inside to look and listen - for free!

goughy

A stadium I'd consider it. For the stones maybe.

Seen rod stewart. Would have lived to have seen a few of my favourites in their day, but not old enough. And the who, mighty jealous.

The Who live in their day would've been sensational
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

The Who were still very good a couple of years ago. Hard to believe they were in their 60s and still going strong.

They haven't really been The Who since Keith died though IMO

I'd like to see Icehouse this year, they are playing at Sirromet winery with Hall and Oates, Noiseworks are touring as well with the A Day on the Green concerts.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    They haven't really been The Who since Keith died though IMO
    They weren't the same with kenny jones, but I like them with zak starkey drumming. Many think he was just a thrasher, but moon had some real finesse. But now that entwhistle its gone.....

Blog Entries

The prices for these nostalgic stadium concerts are outrageous. Seeing an artist, in their prime, playing smaller venues for much better prices is far more enjoyable IMO.

David Bowie and Sting are two "nostalgia" gigs I enjoyed with the oldies, but otherwise a lot of these artists/bands are well past their prime and have very little to offer apart from a trip down memory lane.
    Naturally grippy

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    They weren't the same with kenny jones, but I like them with zak starkey drumming. Many think he was just a thrasher, but moon had some real finesse. But now that entwhistle its gone.....
    goughy, have you seen the 1989 live concerts with the full band ... featuring Simon Philips on drums ? Amazing !! Philips was made to take over from Keith Moon ..... all the power is still there, with just a little more precision

On this tour they also performed the whole Tommy rock opera .... i have a VHS copy of it here somewhere .... and it's awesome. Check it out if you can find it.

I moved north in '86 and unfortunately not many big acts come to Cairns.
    Before the move ( I was in my early 20s ) I saw Cold Chisel, Angels, Dragon, Moody Blues, Springsteen, Dire Straits 4 times, Goldrush (with a young Phil and Tommy Emmanuelle) Daryl Braithwaite, Midnight Oil, Simon and Garfunkel and the Swingers.
    Fun times.

goughy

Quote Originally Posted by jarro View Post
    goughy, have you seen the 1989 live concerts with the full band ... featuring Simon Philips on drums ? Amazing !! Philips was made to take over from Keith Moon ..... all the power is still there, with just a little more precision

On this tour they also performed the whole Tommy rock opera .... i have a VHS copy of it here somewhere .... and it's awesome. Check it out if you can find it.
    I had that taped off tv until the video wore out. But I've bought it on dvd, has the full tommy concert, the full concert afterwards of their other songs, and includes quadraphrenia as well. I also have them live in 2000 with zak starkey drumming (suits them even more than phillips) and I also have another concert from '79 or '80 I think, not long before moon died. But I can't find it, think my dads borrowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    The prices for these nostalgic stadium concerts are outrageous. Seeing an artist, in their prime, playing smaller venues for much better prices is far more enjoyable IMO.

David Bowie and Sting are two "nostalgia" gigs I enjoyed with the oldies, but otherwise a lot of these artists/bands are well past their prime and have very little to offer apart from a trip down memory lane.
    feedback on the nostalgia tours seen (that I can remember)
    Def Leppard (x2) - excellent both times
    Duran Duran - saw them at the V Festival and they were very, very good
    Iron Maiden (x5) - what can I say, metal gods who still leave younger bands for dead
    Spandau Ballet - one of the best gigs I've ever been to
    AC/DC - saw them at Subiaco Oval and was underwhelmed
    U2 - saw them at Etihad with the missus, she's a much bigger fan than me
    Tony Hadley/Go West - great value at $69 in a great venue (Astor Theatre)
    The Police - superb
    David Bowie - superb
    Van Halen - with Gary Cherone on vocals, hands down the worst concert I've ever been to. Not a good start when Alex Van Halen comes out in a neck brace
    ELO - top 3 gigs seen
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.............

Pics from Roger Waters and The Wall, Perth 27 Jan 2012
    P1270338.jpg
    The Wall
    P1270342.jpg
    Fireworks
    P1270361.jpg
    Roger Waters
    P1270382.jpg
    One of my fave pics of the wall
    P1270402 - Copy.jpg
    and the wall came down!
    P1270394.jpg
    Pigs do fly!
    Last edited by Cosmopolite; 28th January 2012 at 09:56 PM.

yippee just got half price tix to Duran Duran at Sandalford. The seated tickets were the same price as the general admission, so naturally went for the seats (although they are crappy plastic kindergarten type seats).

It's on my birthday too! happy dayz

Great score
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Thread Information