Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Default Townsville Courses

Just getting right back into golf after almost 5 years away from competition. Im looking to join a club next year and get my handicap back plus play some more regular golf.

I was wondering what everyones opinions were on the Townsville clubs? Townsville golf club seems to be the most popular but $1200 membership fees is ridiculous for the most poorly maintained course out of the 3! Rowes Bay looks great at the moment and is certainly the cheapest at $600 but i fear the layout might get a little monotonous. Willows is by far the pick of the 3 as far as condition and layout goes and is reasonably priced at $800 but is 30 mins drive from where i live.

Just wondering what the latest state of the Townsville clubs were and what everyone recommended? I dont want to start a club war just after opinions.

Cheers
    Nut

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

There aren't many Townsville residents here, Nut.
    One that I know of, doesn't visit the forum very often.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

G'day Nut.Willows is definitely the best course around at present, receivers have currently got it up for sale so who knows what the future holds.I'm thinking about joining up at Rowes Bay. For the amount of golf I play (Stuff all) I can't see the point in paying top dollar etc.Haven't played Townsville, so can't really comment there. Had heard their treatment plant bugs died and only the tees and greens are being watered at present.CheersDaz
    Last edited by Dazza; 15th November 2011 at 01:18 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Support your local club, Join the closest one.

Sorry to hear how Townsville Gc is getting on, it was the best club and course by a long way when I was there.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Townsville GC are hanging out for a partner to join them in the redevelopment of the course. It will involve housing and apartments (to 3 storey) in the middle with the new course around the outside. They don't have the coin to fund the development process which has been going on for a little while now. If it goes ahead it could turn out nicely and will go from 27 down to 18, new clubhouse, and more importantly a new treatment plant which is stuffed at the moment.

Willows for mine but can get busy.
    And the mayor announced from Thursday on should not be shat into the creek anymore, because on Saturday beer is brewed.

Cheers for the advice guys! The current condition of Townsville GC definitely reflects what you've heard, the fairways are actually dirt throughout the majority of the course. Willows is by far the pick however the whole receivership is a little concerning I guess.

Might end up being Rowes Bay, it is my closest course and I have to give a big props to the club because it is in fantastic condition!

Send me a PM if you're keen to go for a hit.

Move to Cairns.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Cheers Dazza will do.

Yeah Courty too true, will most likely end up there in the coming years! Cant wait to get up there for my next MTB/golf weekend!

Senior Member Major Winner

Played 9 or 10 or 11 holes at Rowes Bay this arv. (I got lost ). Super impressed. Very tidy and green considering how brown the city is. Best greens I've played on in a long long time.

Played 9 holes in Townsville GC two weeks ago in an early morning. The course is very tidy and a lot greener than I expected. Hope they can keep up the good work and I will definitely play there again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sws View Post
    Played 9 holes in Townsville GC two weeks ago in an early morning. The course is very tidy and a lot greener than I expected. Hope they can keep up the good work and I will definitely play there again.
    What was the condition of the greens like?
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

I played the first 9 holes and found the greens good enough for me. As a beginner, don't have too much experience with the green in other golf courses. I usually play at Rowes Bay, I would say the greens at TGC were comparable if not better the Rowes Bay. However, the green was very slow becuase it was very wet with the morning mist (i started at 6.30am).

I have played Townsville over 20 times in the last few years and their greens are always very well watered, very slow to putt on and the grass is about 8mm long.

Lovely to look at and that's about it.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

bump!

I'm moving to Townsville next week and am considering joining Rowes Bay, as we'll be living on that side of town. Anyone have any inside knowledge of issues at the club that would be a red flag? i'll check out the other two (T'ville and Willows) but would prefer to be a part of the nearest course if possible.

Cheers in advance.

P.S. Any ozgolfers in Townsville want to show me around?

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

I play up there all the time in comps, as I work there occasionally. I always prefer to play comps at Rowes Bay.

Townsville's greens are usually in a terrible state and Willows is just Willows.

Can't go wrong at the Bay.

cheers mate. I'm chomping at the bit for a game on the courses to check 'em all out.

golflink WITB

I was a member at Townsville GC, but a long time ago, and only because i lived walking distance to the club. I would have joined whichever club was the closest to me at the time, as I didnt have a car, but its a huge advantage anyway to be close. You might even get away with having a beer afterwards if the Shrek co pilot can provide transport to and from

Townsville not such a busy place so its pretty easy to get around, but it does seem to take forever to go to the Willows from anywhere.

At the time I was there Townsville was the premium club and course by far, but they are struggling financially for some time. Willows was new and was way too difficult and long for its condition, and Rowes Bay albeit interesting was just a poorer cousin of the other two, but I times have changed.

From what I hear, you probably wouldnt regret joining any one of these three courses, its probably going to come down to just the people you meet.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I was a member at Townsville GC, but a long time ago, and only because i lived walking distance to the club. I would have joined whichever club was the closest to me at the time, as I didnt have a car, but its a huge advantage anyway to be close. You might even get away with having a beer afterwards if the Shrek co pilot can provide transport to and from
    I should be able to walk home from Rowes Bay if needed. Looks like they've got a pretty decent and active junior program for the kids too.

The other area we were looking at was Hermit Park, which would have been handy to townsville GC, but the seaside suburbs won out in the end.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have been a member of Townsville and RBGC, I would say that RB was usually the more social and friendly of the two course.
    Last edited by Steve; 3rd September 2014 at 07:20 PM.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

thanks Steve.

golflink WITB

I joined Rowes Bay yesterday. Will try and get out for a hit this weekend. The kids will start juniors next Saturday, once the club champs are finished.

golflink WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Congrats, and enjoy
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Townsvegas just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Bit late I know, but IMO Rowes Bay is the pick of the three at present.
    Went up to Mystic Sands a month or so back, greens were ordinary but everything else was in fair to good shape.

When I was 17 I was in Ayr for 9 mths, members included Karrie Webb, the Haller boys and Stephen Oliver was the club pro.
    Good times up there

Thread Information