Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Ebay deal gone wrong ...

I've had a few bad experiences recently buying second hand golf clubs and getting "bargains" over the net.  This tops the lot and I'm seriously wondering whether the saved $$$ is worth the trouble.  Should I be sticking with Golf Mart and Al's?  

I just bought a Bennington carry bag on ebay, advertised as brand new.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tem=7170328659

I was the only bidder and I thought it was a bargain at $45 plus $20 shipping.

Well, the bag arrived yesterday, and my heart sank as I opened the box and examined the condition of the bag.  

First of all, it is NOT new.  It has clearly been used.  How do I know?

Evidence 1.
    The pockets had dried up leaves and a used tee in them.  

Evidence 2.
    There was obvious smear of dirt near the bottom of the bag.  

Evidence 3.
    The metal bits on the bag were full of rust.  

Am I over-reacting?  Well, if the signs of usage were the only problems, I'd gladly bite the bullet and accept it since I got it for a very good price.  But it doesn't end there.  There are signs of damage and misuse that simply can not be overlooked.

Damage 1.

A strap near the top of the bag has been CUT off!     In the following two pictures, you can clearly see that someone has used a sharp instrument to cut the strap off.  Compare these pics to the one shown on Ebay.  I think this strap is required to attach the rain hood as I can not find any other sites of attachment.

Damage 2.

One of the zippers is missing a handle.

OK.  Here's the big question.  What do I do now?  I've already emailed the seller, and he hasn't replied.  Should I just give him a bad feedback and be done with it?  Can I take it up with the Ebay organisation?  I think I am entitled to either a full refund or a new replacement bag.

I'd appreciate any advice on this matter ....

I knew I should have just bought the Ogio's for $230 at Big John's ...    

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Blog Entries

I think you can take it up with ebay for goods supplied not matching those advertised.
    Grant

Grunt's Golflink
    TM Burner - Cobra F Speed 3W - TM Draw 3H - TM Burner 4i-AW - Vokey 54/58 Wedges - Wilson 8862 Blade

That's a shocker!
    Give them a very negative feedback and report it. Interested to know what happens.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

lesson learned there Jono

i'd give the guy really bad feedback , i suppose that's about all you can do
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Gees, he's sold 240 items in the last month, send him a final email advising him if he doesn't supply a full refund within 2 days you will leave negative feedback. Then, give him 2 days to respond and go from there, IMHO .

If you don't hear back then, start a dispute with ebay.

Pete

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I agree with Pete,

give the guy a chance to repond and to refund your money and if no satisfaction, report him to ebay and leave negative feedback.

Lesson learned.

Cheers

Keza

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

does the organisation thing actually work? how much does it weigh?

Doesnt Ebay (or paypal) guarantee the goods will be as stated otherwise they will give the money back.

Take care before going down the bad feedback path.  give the guy some benefit of the doubt first.   Most bad feedback i see look like whingers and last thing you need is some reverse bad feedback.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

goughy

Neither paypal or ebay guarantee the goods will be as stated. The feedback system's sposed to be for that.

Do threaten to leave 'appropriate' feedback if the situation is satisfactorily rectified. Robyn's too tired to come up with the way to go about it, but she has been through this herself. Maybe she'll be more awake in the morning (or at the 2am feed, or 4am feed, or 5am feed )

Senior Member Major Winner

A bloke selling a "new" bag with tee's, grass and dirt in it doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt.

If it's useable, then slap a negative on him and end the episode. You paid money in good faith, and you got reamed.

Stuff him - it's not like you've just been rorted by a good mate. You got played.
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    A bloke selling a "new" bag with tee's, grass and dirt in it doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt.

If it's useable, then slap a negative on him and end the episode. You paid money in good faith, and you got reamed.

Stuff him - it's not like you've just been rorted by a good mate. You got played.
    Good point......If it was someone you knew, then give him ONE chance....but no more then that......

I say get this guy as best you can.....

gee your intolerant.....

Course he does deserve a chance. He might have got ripped off himself, thinking that he got a container of all new bags, and didnt notice a dodgy one.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

that may be the case Blakey, but it doesn't mean he can rip someone off just because he got a bad egg.

I don't think this is the case here anyway .... i smell a rat

go hard Jono

I'm with Fishman Dan, it's about as obvious a rip off there is. The guy does not deserve any chance. If he hasn't responded to you emails I'd give him a negative feedback pronto.
    Strange how he's sold 240 items in a month then nothing.

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to believe he didn't notice these defects before the bag was sent.

Buying on ebay is always risky, but it's a calculated risk. Usually the guys with 98%+ positive feedbacks are safe, but obviously not the case here. He had some neutral feedbacks complaining of slow delivery, but the negative feedback which I should have taken note of says that he has sent 2nd hand goods instead of new ones in the past.

http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayI...&iid=-1&de=off

I have sent him an email with the photos and requesting either a full refund or a new replacement bag. If he doesn't reply by tomorrow, then I'll email him once more and after that, it's straight to feedback.

A lesson learned for sure.

goughy

You may get somewhere with this guy. I had a look at his feedback, and while he has about 98% positive he has a lot of mutually withdrawn feedbacks. These don't count to his feedback rating, so in reality it would have been worse than 98%. But the fact they have been mutually withdrawn means they came to some kind of resolution.

Clikchic said 98% for 400ish feedbacks is horrible and wouldn't have gone near him. But that's her.

The mutually withdrawn is a bit of a rip - it helps someone get their percentage back up after pretty much ripping someone off in the first place. When people look at feedback they look for the negs, not positives. You may not see the mutually withdrawn, but to me they count as a neg.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Ring the guy up and talk to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    Ring the guy up and talk to him.
    there is that... the option exists to request user details. You will be forwarded an email with his phone number (as recorded by ebay) and he will also be forwarded yours.

Pete

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

The guys phone number should be in the first email received from ebay - if not ask ebay for it. It will be a lot harder for this guy to weasel out of this if you get him on the phone and get stuck into him. I would be asking for a full refund as the bag you received was not the one you purchased in good faith. If he doesn't want to give you your money back then def neg him (I'd even sabotage a few of his future auctions just to really fix him up)

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69
    Jono..it's obviously a sign....stop buying stuff !

nicely put Doc

what do they say ... a picture is worth......

Blake - you of all people showing tolerance? Get off the sauce..

This guy uses an anonymous selling forum to deliberately mislead. Those calling for leniency are either soft, or dodgy eBay dealers themselves.

I've scanned eBay for about a year now (without buying golf equipment) - i dead set wouldn't buy anything there now. It's all dodgy and getting worse. These stories add weight.

How many 2nd hand single clubs (wedges) are sold without showing the grooves on the club? Alarm bells.
    How many "unwanted gift/prize" deals are there? Alarm bells.
    TaylorMade shonks... now that's just hilarious.
    Golf balls... sure, buy 12 for $40 - and this has been debated before - for that price + postage, i'd feel better knowing i've bought the real deal RETAIL for brand spankers, rather than pills that have seen nothing but mullet ar$eholes for 3 months.

But that's just me.

This guy uses an anonymous selling forum to deliberately mislead.
    There is nothing to suggest he deliberately does anything of the sort.

Those calling for leniency are either soft, or dodgy eBay dealers themselves.
    Who said leniency? I said wait. Last thing Jono wants is bad feedback on his own profile which is likely if he goes off his head.
    --
    Handy-Cap

I've scanned eBay for about a year now (without buying golf equipment) - i dead set wouldn't buy anything there now. It's all dodgy and getting worse.
    Dan, what's your user id in ebay mate ??

Just wanna put you on my blocked list :P :P

Someone say something??

Blake - Have you read this thread? Apparently some bloke sold an advertised brand new bag with broken stuff, rust and crap all through the pockets. I know if you give someone a wallet, it's good luck to give them some money in it - i don't think this is the same...

Now, Jono paid money in good faith and time. If eBay can stick a negative on someone who did everything right, there's something inherently wrong with the system. If it protects someone who did something wrong - ditto.

Thread Information