Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Matchplay Speirsy vs Fishman - Bayview 31/07 ONE SPOT LEFT

The on again, off again match between Speirsy and Fishman is now on again ...     For how long, nobody knows ...

I've booked a tee time this Sunday morning at Bayview. 8:45am.  One spot left in the group if another Ozgolfer wants to join us.

The condition at Bayview is not too bad at the moment.  Greens are much better than they were few months ago.

As usual, first come, best dressed.  

1. Jono
    2. Speirsy
    3. Fishman

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Lets just hope Dan can make this one......

PM sent Dan
    Fat, drunk, and five-over-par is no way to go through life, son.

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Burner TP 14.5 Ozik 8M2 X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    Callaway X-Forged 4 Dot 4-PW PX 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged 50*, 54*, 58* PX 6.5
    YES! Dianna

Senior Member Major Winner

Hey guys,

Let me check with the schedule, but looking good. After 2 weeks of failed attempts at playing on Sunday's, i was asked (half-expectantly) if i'm playing twice this weekend.

I'll post for sure tonight, but at this stage i'm a Definite Maybe
    Lucy Harris smart smart smart, Martin Harris dumb.

Quick question - seeing as though i maintain that i don't give a crap about the Matchplay, what is the comp on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman Dan
    I'll post for sure tonight, but at this stage i'm a Definite Maybe
    Game on, then ... maybe.

Not sure what the comp format is ... should be stableford individual plus 2BBB. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Ok, done deal. I'm in. Look forward to the day guys..

Awesome.......Should be fun......

One more spot left.....Any takers?

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    YES! Dianna

Rob wins 2 up. More lead changes than INXS. I'm sure Jono enjoyed watching this one from close up.

Crucial point was my putt on the 17th with the ball teetering on the edge of the cup - i swear there was more Pro V1x dangling over the hole than there was outside it.

Readers Digest version - I burst out of the blocks going 2-up. Rob soon pulled 1 back, but a birdie for yours truly on 6 restored it to 2. By 9 we were square, but another birdie on 11 saw me enjoying a bacon'n'egg roll with another 2 hole lead.

But it was a matter of time before my memories of playing 10 Green Bottles (Heineken's) at a poker night last night was going to take its toll. By the 14th/15th (back-to-back par 5's) i had back-to-back brain-farts to go 1-down. After the par 3 16th we were square.... then that putt. I had a shot on 18 but it was all too hard, especially with the possibility of a 19th being played.

Thanks guys for a great day.

It was a great day Dan....Although the Golf was suspect at best .....Thanks again Jono for getting us the game and I'm looking forward to the next round Vs Jim.....

Speirsy

WITB:

R9 Tour 9.5 Fubuki 73X
    Nike SQ2 17* GD PM702 X
    YES! Dianna

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Congrats Rob, sounds like it was a bit of a tussle.

Commiserations Dan. Must have been the Pro V1 that was the problem as it could not have been the putter Trash the Titleist and give the new B330-s a try. They feel sweet off the face of a 2 Ball.

Congrats Rob Anyone take any pics?

No pics... Ping - putter is still great although we didn't get along famously yesterday.

But HX Tour is the new pill of choice - but i have to go out and buy some more

Congrats to Rob on the win, and bad luck Dan. It could have gone either way. The golf wasn't fantastic, but it was entertaining to watch, nevertheless. Dan was 2 up at the mandatory burger break after the 11th hole. Then he had a series of bad holes from 13th to 15th (must be something in the bacon and egg roll ... ) and lost three holes in a row. Rob took the lead for the first time to go one up after 15, but erred on the par 3 16th and the match was all square standing on the 370 meter par 4 17th. Dan hits a 220 meter drive up the middle whereas Rob carves one out right onto the adjacent 13th hole. Rob then hits a great 8 iron over the trees to 15 feet and Dan leaves it just short of the green. Chips 18 feet past the hole to the edge of the green. Then strokes the putt beautifully with his recently acquired 2 ball putter, but the ball runs out of steam and comes to rest on the low side of the hole ... It was closer than Danny Noonan's putt in Caddyshack. Alas, there was no crazy greenkeepers blowing up the course, so Dan had to tap in for a bogey 5. Easy two putt for Rob to win the hole and go 1 up. The last hole was a bit of an anti-climax, really. Regulation par for Rob and a tired double bogey for Dan.

In the stableford, I scored 32 points, Dan got 30 points and I think Speirsy would have got 30 points as well if he putted out every hole. BTW, I just got a call from the secretary saying that she didn't get our cards ... I thought I put it in ...

OK. The low light of the day for me ... Being outdriven by Dan, the proud owner of the PGF (patented gay fade ), on the uphill 6th. I think Dan's ball hit a rock and kicked forward.

Highlight ... both me and Dan sinking our birdie putts on the same hole for 4 pointers.

After the game, we had a few drinks and checked out Ross Watson's plan for Bayview. I think both Rob and Dan agreed that the proposed layout would improve the course greatly. Bayview is never going to be a championship course, but the new layout will make most of the land we have.

Anyway, thanks for the day guys. Heaps of fun as usual.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Via a PM, I have already put the ball in Spiersy's court regarding the scheduling of our match.

If Rob wishes to use one of the already scheduled OzGolf days at Macarthur Grange or The Springs, I am cool with that. If not, then hopefully we can find a time and course and then invite some OzGolf companions to join us.

Virgal and 3oneday have been very quiet regarding their fixture. Perhaps they are waiting for a better idea who the final opponent will be.

I suspect Spiersy is favorite in our match. If he can take down Giantkiller Dan he shouldn't have much trouble with me.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Then he had a series of bad holes from 13th to 15th (must be something in the bacon and egg roll ...
    No, it was the 2 Flush's and the Three of a Kind 3's in quick succession earning me about $30 in 10 minutes work playing Texas Hold 'em with mates at 12:30am that morning

Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    The low light of the day for me ... Being outdriven by Dan, the proud owner of the PGF (patented gay fade), on the uphill 6th. I think Dan's ball hit a rock and kicked forward.
    Hole 1 - Dan in bunker off the tee. Jono of course walks 20 metres yonder, unable to find his ball. Don't worry - i came to his rescue, some 5 metres behind mine. If only mine hit grass - 5m would quickly have been 25m

Hole 2 - The order for our 2nd shots is... Jono - Dan - Rob..

I think you get the message

Quote Originally Posted by golfer69
    What the hell is a crap, gay fader like yourself doing using Pro V's ?
    Get back to Hot Dot's where you belong.
    Because I lost both my Callaway HX Tours.

I think you get the message
    Yeah ... I must stop trying to swing like Moe, because I'm losing distance big time and I'm not hitting it any straighter either ...  

Things aren't good when you are consistently being outdriven by the Fishman ...       Like how he outdrove me by 50m on the 13th, 20 meters on the 15th, and 30 meters on the 17th ... right, Dan?

It's not how far guys, it's how many........

Jim, PM returned......I'll see if I can find us a decent track on a Sunday as I start working Saturdays again as of this week......

Speirsy

.....or, Drive for Show....

So remove all that bloody lead-tape and get your putting mojo back!!

.....or, Drive for Show....

So remove all that bloody lead-tape and get your putting mojo back!!
    Forget it Dan.....You have to remember that Jono is a guy who said on the 11th tee "I'd rather hit it great and not score then hit it bad and score ok" ......

Congrats on the win Rob - good to see you leant something from me when we played.
    Bad luck Fishman.......nearly got him
    FlowerGolf

What's in the bag

Driver :Taylormade R7 draw HT
    3 & 5 wood -Taylormade R7 draw
    Hybrid - TM R7 draw 22,28
    5 - SW Taylormade XD Burner
    60 - Wishon wedges
    Putter - Yes Natalie
    Ball - Whatever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flowergirl
    Bad luck Fishman.......nearly got him
    Thanks Reenie. I'd like to say I had him... I'd also like to say this game is 6 holes too long..

Thread Information