Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 124 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3092

Thread: Beer

Member Monthly medal winner

Really, the highest ive seen is about 4.5

This is a new one, mismatch have made a double session ale at 7.5%

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I had that one in SA.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Green Beacon 3 Bolt pale ale on tap at Vic pk driving range, delicious.

What did you think? I don't mind their beers. They have just opened their new brewery in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Well done by Vic Park having local beers. Did you see that Newstead Brewing took over the sponsorship of "XXXX Hill" at Ballymore?

Quote Originally Posted by HOPHEAD View Post
    What did you think? I don't mind their beers. They have just opened their new brewery in the hills.
    Let me check Untappd......

I gave it 3.25 which is pretty solid, but not great.

I had 40 unique beers in my 2 1/2 week stay in Adelaide, with visits to several breweries and other establishments. Kings Head Hotel was the best for a tourist wanting to try local beers.

Yeah there are a few nice locals on tap at the kings head.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by gazgolf1 View Post
    Hard to get here in WA but I rate all their beers highly! The Half Mast India session ale is good too
    You're in big trouble though, pal. I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    What's the difference between a beer and a session beer?
    what is the difference

some will say anything below 5% in alcahol, i think this can be very misguided when you bring in the level of alcahol

I have had beer that is in 14% alcahol and could easily have a session on it where as i have had beer as 2.5% in alcahol in taste and 1 or 2 is enough

I think the beers that are not high in bittering or hoppy to be good session beers

these can be apa's, ipa's, saisons , barley wines, porters, stouts, lagers and pilsoners

Many of the main brewing companies like cub and lion will have there bread and butter beers that have always cornered our markets

eg Carlton druaght, VB, boags etc these beers do not change much in style or flavour and are not real high in hops or malt but is what i would call a session beer, you will never see these beers leave the market well not in the near future as many of us never like branching out and trying all craft beers out on the market

like i find a good kosiosko pale ale a great session beer its got some great flavours but doesnt pack a punch like a feral hop hog would do

I love the feral hop hog as i love a great hoppy beer but however i would not see this as a session beer 2-3 stubbies of this beer is more then enough

what i am saying is one should really be looking at in a session beer is

low hop low malt that is clean and crisp to the pallette...

eg : This 4.5% crown lager is so crisp, refreshing and drinkable, with just a touch of hops and malty sweetness. I could drink this all day

Also i think the session beers should be cold to drink specially with lagers and pilsners as this makes them easy to drink and making a good session beer
    however though having said that not all session beers have to be drunk icy cold like we australians love our beers.... depending on what style of beer and from origon that beer is from can be drank cool or even warm depending on the style..

so basicly it is any beer that you can sit down and enjoy with ya mates at the pub or watching footy at home...

Beer is a fantastic product and there is so many great beers on the market

Good read and I agree with all of it. Personally i see session beers as lower in alcohol and can have a few and still be walking. I can sit at home and drink 7% ipa all day but dont think of it as a session beer. Each to their own I guess, everyone is different which is good.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ozdevil View Post
    what is the difference

some will say anything below 5% in alcahol, i think this can be very misguided when you bring in the level of alcahol

I have had beer that is in 14% alcahol and could easily have a session on it where as i have had beer as 2.5% in alcahol in taste and 1 or 2 is enough

I think the beers that are not high in bittering or hoppy to be good session beers

these can be apa's, ipa's, saisons , barley wines, porters, stouts, lagers and pilsoners

Many of the main brewing companies like cub and lion will have there bread and butter beers that have always cornered our markets

eg Carlton druaght, VB, boags etc these beers do not change much in style or flavour and are not real high in hops or malt but is what i would call a session beer, you will never see these beers leave the market well not in the near future as many of us never like branching out and trying all craft beers out on the market

like i find a good kosiosko pale ale a great session beer its got some great flavours but doesnt pack a punch like a feral hop hog would do

I love the feral hop hog as i love a great hoppy beer but however i would not see this as a session beer 2-3 stubbies of this beer is more then enough

what i am saying is one should really be looking at in a session beer is

low hop low malt that is clean and crisp to the pallette...

eg : This 4.5% crown lager is so crisp, refreshing and drinkable, with just a touch of hops and malty sweetness. I could drink this all day

Also i think the session beers should be cold to drink specially with lagers and pilsners as this makes them easy to drink and making a good session beer
    however though having said that not all session beers have to be drunk icy cold like we australians love our beers.... depending on what style of beer and from origon that beer is from can be drank cool or even warm depending on the style..

so basicly it is any beer that you can sit down and enjoy with ya mates at the pub or watching footy at home...

Beer is a fantastic product and there is so many great beers on the market
    Excellent.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Been enjoying Stella Artois Legere mid strength.... nice pint or two after a hot game has been my usual to wash away the pain of the game

I usually get a weird ear ache when drinking certain beer... but no issue with this which is also a plus

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Been enjoying Stella Artois Legere mid strength.... nice pint or two after a hot game has been my usual to wash away the pain of the game

I usually get a weird ear ache when drinking certain beer... but no issue with this which is also a plus
    Left ear or right ear?
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

I think it was my left ear.... as i have been avoiding drinking too much so it's been awhile now so I don't remember.

Member Trainee Pro

Went for a drive today to Bendigo then through to marybourough and back through creswick just to kill some time , need do some business but said to partner your turn to drive its time to wet the whistle with some water.

not much variety in the bottleshop but decided to try the holgate Hop tart a semi sour pale ale and was quite surprised as its quite meelow and very drinkable to what i thought... shows some great citrus flavours amongst the hops and the aroma well soon as i smelt thje aroma i knew this was a good beer

i would have like to put into a glass but i tried it out of the stubby why the smart one drove... i would have brought 6 of these as i am not really in to sour things even though i am sour person lol..

7/10 as it wasnt as punchy as i would have thought

cheers
    OZ

There are certainly different levels of sour beers, ozdevil, and some are pretty tough to get used to. I guess calling it a semi-sour is a bit of a giveaway that it isn't going to be too lip puckering.

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    There are certainly different levels of sour beers, ozdevil, and some are pretty tough to get used to. I guess calling it a semi-sour is a bit of a giveaway that it isn't going to be too lip puckering.
    Very true, i know there would be very different levels of sour beers... its one thing i love about beer , the different beer styles and what they can and cant use in beer and even when you think an ingrediant wont work someone will find away to use it...

beer is so much better then wine...

but i open to all beer and i have tried alot of beers and made a lot of beers myself .. there is a few i dont like but is there a beer i can't drink, well i think there isnt...

Chilli beer is a style that isn't for me.

Member Trainee Pro

Well when i lived in S.A living near golden grove the pub listened to me with coopers pale that the best came from the bottom of the keg

i tried their new beer the coopers session pale

to me its got similar taste to the pale ale....but i dont think its a great every day aussie beer

i think this beer is not worth the hassle for the style they are trying

5/10 overall

Quote Originally Posted by ozdevil View Post
    Well when i lived in S.A living near golden grove the pub listened to me with coopers pale that the best came from the bottom of the kegi tried their new beer the coopers session paleto me its got similar taste to the pale ale....but i dont think its a great every day aussie beeri think this beer is not worth the hassle for the style they are trying5/10 overall
    Interesting, close to grabbing a slab for the weekend as I'm a can man.

Maybe I need to grab a can first.
    bio cell+ big stick - fly z+ 3W - b'bertha 4h - srickson 545/745
    46-50 RTX, 56-60 md2 - tank cruiser 38" count balance
    delilah smiley driver and MAGNETIC putter cover
    sun mountain bag C130S - clicgear & knob

I quite enjoy them. Coopers and bottle shops cant keep up with the demand at the moment. I think the price for a 4.5% beer is a bit steep tho, coopers have said to sell at the same price as sparking.

Member Trainee Pro

i brought a carton of the coopers session ale and admitingly the 1st beer didnt quite go down right and probably should have given it more of chance after all i had been drinking draught at the golf club and then getting home and sampling the tastebuds was tainted so wasnt really a fair rating on this beer

i did start to enjoy these after trying the with a clean pallette in which i should have done in the first place

like hophead i think the price is a bit steep for what it is...i dont think it is as good as the coopers sparkling ale, i was actually hoping it would have been a bit more mellower beer then the coopers Pale ale being based on tropical ale and as a summer style beer.... i certainly got the dry hopping in this beer .. the one thing i love with coopers is that they use a live yeast addition to the bottle to give it secondary fermentation process like the Coopers Pale ale

so it has actually grown on me so fair rating of this beer i'd give 7/10

4.2% alcahol i think that is where it lacks
    certainly has a great ibu 0f 27 which gives this beers bitterness

Like the coopers Pale ale i would give it a gentle roll before opening to alowl the sediment to flow through the beer to get the full flavour

Pfft. Hatchy's rating system had more credibility

I take a portion of this back ozdevil.

The bottle-o man told me to buy a six pack first. Have a couple, but don't make a final judgement first time around.

Big difference second go, but I'm still sticking with the blondes.

I'd love to jump on the Newstead 3 quarter time cans, but not at $75.
    Last edited by Lagerlover; 3rd April 2018 at 03:18 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

After just coming back from Germany (which has an enormous reputation for quality beer) i would have to say the take home point for me is that the beers are so consistent. Tried heaps and they were all good at the very least. So many small local breweries. For me (Pils and Lagers) it was a bunch of excellent beers more so than singularly mind blowing ones. The wheat beers however are astounding if that's your thing. I was put onto one called Jacobs via local knowledge and it was a treat. Matched up quite well vs the Weihenstephaner which is probably the GOAT of Weissbier. Just good crisp clean beer everywhere.

The Czech Pilsner Urquell was also popular in Germany and is a fine drop which many consider to be the GOAT of Pilsners. Budvar was good too. Ironically i didn't come across my favorite German beer, DAB.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

There's definitely some good beer to be had over there.

This time next week, I'll be in the air on my way to the Slovak Republic. Look out liver.

Thread Information