Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 124 FirstFirst ... 21 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 3092

Thread: Beer

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by adlo View Post
    AP have you had a chance to try the new season 2013 Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere IPA?
    I have now.

#270 Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest (2013) American IPA
    As usual, these Harvest beers from SN take me on a bit of a ride. Citrus is all I can think at the start, but it's nice. Then I have a little struggle with it in the middle, I'm not sure why. But by the end I love it and want more.

#271 Gage Road Sleeping Giant IPA
    It is IPA Day, so I grabbed a couple for the "occasion". This was worse than what I remembered. 2.5/5

Tomorrow is International Beer Day.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Tough crowd, I think for $42 per carton Sleeping Giant is a nice IPA and good value, it's not earth shatteringly good but I like it for a Friday night session.
    Are you drinking it out of a glass P?

I drink nearly every beer out of a glass. Sleeping Giant, like Feral Hop Hog, is a type of IPA that does not appeal to me. That said, most of the Gage Road beers have been garbage and they are borderline "craft" beers with Woolies owning 25%.

Three new beers for me today from Brisbane Brewhouse. Two were solid, but the IPA was really good.

I'm at #291 since I started tracking beers in Untappd, with #300 just around the corner.

Here's some stats:

First beer - Little Creatures Bright Ale
    Most checked in - Burleigh Brewing Hef (13)

Top 5 Highest Rated
    As rated by others (average) - Feral Hop Hog (4.13/5), Tripel Karmeliet (4.1/5), Holgate Temptress (3.99), Holgate Millenium Falcon (3.97/5), Holgate Empress (3.93/5)
    As rated by me (4.5/5) - Hoegaarden Grand Cru, La Trappe Blond, North Coast Brother Thelonious, Holgate Double Trouble, Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier, Holgate Empress

Top 5 Lowest Rated
    As rated by others (average) - Carlton Mid (2.47/5), Carlton Draught (2.49), XXXX Gold (2.55), Crown Lager (2.64), Carlton Dry (2.66)
    As rated by me - James Squire 150 Lashes (1/5 - I think I got a bad one and was probably harsh), Mad Brewers Ginger Chops Ale (1/5), Corona Extra (1/5), Gage Pils 1.5 (1/5), Sunshine Coast Rauch Bier (1/5), Kooinda Black IPA (1/5)

Highest Alcohol Content - Holgate Millenium Falcon (10%), Holgate Empress (10%), North Coast Brother Thelonious (9.4%)
    Lowest Alcohol Content - Erdinger Alkoholfrei (0.4%), Coopers Birell Ultra Light (0.5%), Cascade Premium Light (2.7%)

I haven't given out a 5/5 yet. I feel like I have been holding off for something that blows me away in awesomeness. Perhaps, I will give one of the 4.5/5 beers a 5 next time around. The Holgate Empress was very impressive.

Senior Member Major Winner

Does Magners count as beer?

The commonly used term is cider, because it's a cider, although you can check those into untappd too.

Anyway I'm having a few pints now. Nice.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I'm at #291 since I started tracking beers in Untappd, with #300 just around the corner.

Here's some stats:

First beer - Little Creatures Bright Ale
    Most checked in - Burleigh Brewing Hef (13)

Top 5 Highest Rated
    As rated by others (average) - Feral Hop Hog (4.13/5), Tripel Karmeliet (4.1/5), Holgate Temptress (3.99), Holgate Millenium Falcon (3.97/5), Holgate Empress (3.93/5)
    As rated by me (4.5/5) - Hoegaarden Grand Cru, La Trappe Blond, North Coast Brother Thelonious, Holgate Double Trouble, Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier, Holgate Empress

Top 5 Lowest Rated
    As rated by others (average) - Carlton Mid (2.47/5), Carlton Draught (2.49), XXXX Gold (2.55), Crown Lager (2.64), Carlton Dry (2.66)
    As rated by me - James Squire 150 Lashes (1/5 - I think I got a bad one and was probably harsh), Mad Brewers Ginger Chops Ale (1/5), Corona Extra (1/5), Gage Pils 1.5 (1/5), Sunshine Coast Rauch Bier (1/5), Kooinda Black IPA (1/5)

Highest Alcohol Content - Holgate Millenium Falcon (10%), Holgate Empress (10%), North Coast Brother Thelonious (9.4%)
    Lowest Alcohol Content - Erdinger Alkoholfrei (0.4%), Coopers Birell Ultra Light (0.5%), Cascade Premium Light (2.7%)

I haven't given out a 5/5 yet. I feel like I have been holding off for something that blows me away in awesomeness. Perhaps, I will give one of the 4.5/5 beers a 5 next time around. The Holgate Empress was very impressive.
    La Trappe Blond it one of my favourites.

I highly agree with your worst list. I think Corona is so flavourless that it shouldn't count as a beer.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Maybe I'll have to retry the Grand Cru. I remember being fairly underwhelmed. Haven't seen Holgates...must keep an eye out.

La trappe 4.5...really?
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

La Trappe tasted good to me. It has been a while since I had the Grand Cru; it could be a 4.

Most of Holgate's beers are very good.
    Last edited by AndyP; 15th August 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    Maybe I'll have to retry the Grand Cru. I remember being fairly underwhelmed. Haven't seen Holgates...must keep an eye out.La trappe 4.5...really?
    Timely this....I'm at the bottle shop now staring at the Grand Cru....wow $130 a carton!!! Curiosity has got me though
    Last edited by Golfnut; 16th August 2013 at 12:24 AM.

White rabbit white ale any good?
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I highly agree with your worst list. I think Corona is so flavourless that it shouldn't count as a beer.
    Without the lemon or lime chucked in, it is barely drinkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnut View Post
    White rabbit white ale any good?
    I seem to remember it being okay. I gave the dark ale 3.5. Apparently, I haven't had the white since keeping track. I'll have to get one now.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I seem to remember it being okay. I gave the dark ale 3.5. Apparently, I haven't had the white since keeping track. I'll have to get one now.
    I shall await you review. Hop hog's in the trolley.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Ha! Fortunately for everyone, I haven't reviewed all 291 beers, although I have scored most of them.

The scoring might be unfair considering that I'm only trying one of each generally and it might be a bad batch or my tastebuds might be having an off day. My scoring has probably evolved over time too.

Still, it's a good indicator and gives me a good list to go back to, if I can afford them.

I wonder if I can get to #365 within one year.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I think I'm possibly confusing my La Trappe and my Leffe and being over harsh.

I certainly wouldn't stump for a carton of Grand Cru without trying it 'nut.
    Pieface, no longer the resident chopper, giant fweak. Lives in a pineapple under the sea
    witb?

Andy suggestions for an Amber Ale?

Red Trolley and Stoke I don't mind.. Anything else you'd suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
    I think I'm possibly confusing my La Trappe and my Leffe and being over harsh.I certainly wouldn't stump for a carton of Grand Cru without trying it 'nut.
    Yeah I'm not one for buying a carton of a new beer without trying a roadie first....couldn't think of anything worse than having a carton of beer you don't enjoy drinking sitting in the fridge.
    WITB

Lowballing since 2009!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I've had a few nice beers while I've been away, here's a short summary.

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Ale - I really enjoyed this but couldn't drink too many. It's strong flavoured and almost reminds you of port, given that it's aged in oak barrels and also has a bit of a kick at 6.6%. 4/5 pints

Brewdog 5am Saint Amber Ale - This one blew me away. I love this style of beer - nice and hoppy but a clean finish. Could've drunk it all night. The colour is also awesome - I have a great photo of the glass with some London landmarks in the background. 4.5/5 hiccups

Camden Hells Lager - this is the house lager at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen. It wasn't a bad drop at all, very easy to drink but not really anything special. 2 pints went down very, very easily. 3/5 burp spews.

Kronenbourg 1664 - don't know what to say about this. It's easy to drink (5 pints in a sitting with my brother... must remember I'm not drinking stubbies over here) but I wasn't overly taken with it - it was just the best they had on tap. Quite bitter and weak like the country of origin. 2.5/5 kebabs after midnight

Harviestoun Old Engine Oil - I don't drink a lot of dark beers so this is hard to compare, but I did like it. This is a nice porter style beer which is really malty with coffee kinda flavours, maybe even a hint of chocolate (though I had it with my chocolate dessert!) - I just liked it for the name. Would definitely drink again though if feeling in the mood. 3.5/5 unintelligible foreign taxi drivers

I think that covers my exploits, wish I had more to tell. I've been hooking into Peroni, Becks and Heineken most of the time, it's easy to get (and cheap) but also suits the warmish weather perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Chopperlink | Chopperstats | Chopsticks | #ConfederatetillIdie

Nice one, Ben. I really liked the Oak Aged Ale too. First Choice were out of the Old Engine Oil yesterday, otherwise I would have grabbed it.

Simmsy, there aren't too many amber ales around and sometimes they can be a bit sickly. Jack loved the Red Duck Amber, and I preferred their Hoppy Amber. I had Two Birds Sunset Ale the other night; it was nice too.

edit: Little Creatures Shepherd's Delight is very nice, if you haven't had it yet. I gave Endeavour's Reserve Amber Ale a 4 too.
    Last edited by AndyP; 16th August 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Default Beer

I love Amber style ales. Will definitely give the Shepherd's Delight a crack too - interestingly some of the Little Creatures range may well be produced very near to me at the Boag's Brewery soon. Lion Nathan are spending a fortune upgrading it so that they can brew some of their other brands there.

Probably won't make much difference to me in terms of price/availability but it'll sure be fresh at least

As long as Little Creatures doesn't start producing mass produced swill like James Squires with this expanding. Their single batch beers are always good. Mr Obidiah is the latest one.

I doubt it. I don't think they plan on brewing the other brands there regularly - it's all about redundancy and making sure they can keep making beer if one of the other production lines elsewhere goes offline.

Thread Information