Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Blog Entries

Default Whats your Pre-Round Warm Up routine.

I was reading an article recently on the avrious types of Warm Up routines, and what works effectively etc.

This particular article was saying that a majority of pro's (bowdo may be able to confirm this) follow the old Nicklaus approach of warming up with some soft shots with a sand wedge, then taking full shots with the SW, then 8/9i, 3/4i then 3 wood, Driver. back down to 8 iron, a few more wedge shots, and then the last 5 or 6, the club and shot shape they want on the first hole.
    Apparently, they don't worry too much about direction or shape etc, on many of the shots, just getting a good feel going, and then really worrying about shot shapes etc, towards the end.

I was then reading something else saying NEVER to hit full shots, because us mere mortals can't hit a consistent shot, and will only put doubt into our minds before a round. Only hit some solid pitching, chipping shots, and then hit the greens to get a feel for speed.

Personally, I have recently taken on a warm up similar to the first approach, working my way up from short to long, generally going PW, 7i, 5i, 3w and Driver, back to Hybrid, and then finishing off with a 6 or 7 iron. I'll then head to the putting green after that.

What do you do, and what works and doesnt work. Or do u rock up 5mins to tee time, then go out and shoot even par or better ?
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Rock up 5 mins to tee time. Not usually par or better.

Recently I have been showing up early and it is screwing up everything.

Turn up 15 minutes before tee time, only to called to the tee 15 minutes early.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Morning Tee Off - Red Bull, Couple of putts, swing of the driver and go for it

Afternoon Tee Off - Bundy Rum, Couple of putts, pack esky, swing driver, go for it!

Banned

Get out of bed. Get dressed. Grab some Maccas on the way. Completely waste what could have been a great day in bed

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

turn up 5 mins before tee off, have 1 putt and then grip it and top it

I hit 8-16 birdie balls on the practice fairway with a mid iron, plus some half hearted stretches. Takes 5 mins and we are done.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaWatty View Post
    Turn up 15 minutes before tee time, only to called to the tee 15 minutes early.
    I bloody hate that. Tempted to warm up elsewhere and turn up just on time.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

coffee. Merlo's preferably.

golflink WITB
    TSR3 9deg | TSR3 15deg | TSR2 3H | T100 4-GW | Vokey 56 & 60 | Newport 2.5

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Get to the course about 30 mins early, start with some half hearted stretches of random areas, then usually hit 20 balls into the net with a 6I, start off with soft swings working into full swings. Sometimes ill get a bucket of balls and do something similar to the Nicklaus approach mentioned above. Chip and putt until time to tee off.
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I hit 8-16 birdie balls on the practice fairway with a mid iron, plus some half hearted stretches. Takes 5 mins and we are done.

I bloody hate that. Tempted to warm up elsewhere and turn up just on time.
    The only thing I don't like using birdie balls is that you have to bend down to pick them up. I tried bouncing them up with a wedge which doesn't really work. Tried flicking them up by putting the grip end of the club in the hole which doesn't really work either. Have you worked out a way to pick these up without having to bend down? With my back problems, it undoes any good the warm up may have done.

I usually get to the club about 40 minutes early and split my time between the chipping green and putting. When I am in the chipping area i have a few full swings then step.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Have you worked out a way to pick these up without having to bend down? With my back problems, it undoes any good the warm up may have done.
    Hold a club upside down, put end of grip in hole, lift up club and let birdie ball slide down the shaft. when go to the next one the birdie balls do not slide down all the way back down as they will get stuck on the grip, so you can keep picking them up, after about 6 then it gets a bit hard, but I only have 7 left now. Its a bit embarrassing losing 5 already.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

If i have time to arrive early I'll hit a bucket of balls in a similar manner to that described in the first post, a few mins on practice green, a few mins chipping, hit the first tee, grip it, rip it, and hope for the best.

If no time to prepare then a few putts, a few chips, a bit of stretching, grip it, rip it, and hope for the best.

I ALWAYS play better with the longer warm-up routine.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

My warm up starts before I leave home with some stretches for my back and neck.

I like to get to the course about an hour and a half before my tee off time, 2 hours if I expect a lot of "issues" to deal with when I get there.

Once I get to the course I'll have another light stretch right before I hit a medium bucket of balls. The first 9 are all half 54° wedge shots at the 50m post.
    After that I'll hit some three quarter shots with the 7 or 8 then 4 or 5 irons, concentrating purely on tempo and NOT overswinging which is my main fault. I'll only hit with a particular club until I have hit a shot that gives me the feel I want.
    Then I'll hit some 3 woods and Drivers before going back to hitting any balls left with the 54° at the 50m post again.

On the way back up to the clubhouse I'll drop down 3 balls and hit a few chips and pitches for 15 minutes. I don't like to hit more than 3 balls because I can lose concentration and get into a "practicing" mode.

Once finished on the chipping green it is into the locker room for some more stretching before heading across to the putting green. There I work purely on getting a feel for the putter in my hands and the speed of the green.

After all that, I go out and shoot a million. Same as I would if I did a "JC" and used my run from the car to the 1st tee as my warm up. At least I am less likely to injure myself.

This week is the first round of club champs and we are teeing off at 6:45am. I expect maybe 10 minutes of putting is all I'll get before we go. I will still do my stretches though.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Get there 40 minutes early. Have 3 schooners and put the bets on for the day, the realise I'm late and have 2 minutes of putting and chipping, a quick leak, duck hook off the first.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

couple of putts if I have extra time a couple of chips too

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

I follow what most seem to do... hit a small bucket or half bag of balls.. I think tempo and not direction on irons and crispness on wedges. It works for me. I do follow Jack's putting warm up though. Only hit putts form about a foot and just drill them straight in the hole. I putt to things other than the hole, a foot from the fringe or an old hole for speed. Read somewhere that he liked to see the ball going in the hole before he played and only in the hole so he just hit putts from that length to give him good vibes. Could be made up crap from someone., I think it works well.. Gives me no predisposed idea of how I am putting.. Try it?

Blog Entries

Well I have established this evening that it doesn't help to go for. 3.5k run, and then go down and try and swig a club.......... Especially when it's getting down to 4* or something and is currently sitting 8 or 9.

Doesn't help to free up the swing much
    long and soft

GL: 6011911179

Blog Entries

Few chips, few putts. If i spend considerable time on the range before a round I will

A) lose confidence in my shitty swing.
    B) Get tired.
    C) Get bored with golf.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Generally a few putts on a green that's well different to the rest of the course.
    No real range at Windaroo sucks. Ha!
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

I warm up with a short sprint - from the pro shop to the first tee, where my group is usually waiting for me to get my shit together and hit off.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Get coffee on the way to the course, arrive 20 to 25 min before tee time. Talk crap for 10 min, 2 min stretch, 5 min putting, some aimless swings with 7 iron, walk to tee and hit driver.

I have a mate, plays off 2, arrives 15 min early talks crap for 15 min, pulls out driver and goes SMACK, 230m down the middle. Says he has always done it that way.
    Golf is an ineffectual attempt to get an uncontrollable sphere into an inaccessible hole with instruments ill adapted to the purpose

Woods: Titleist 915 D2 10.5*,
    915 f15*, 915 h21*
    Irons:
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-PW
    Wedges:
    Titleist SM5 54/10* & 60/7*
    Putter:
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bag: Eagles & Birdies Links
    Bugy: Clickgear 3.5

Home Club: Kooringal
    Handicap
    Game Golf

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Golf takes long enough without going through a lengthy warmup routine.

I usually putt for about 10min, if I give myself enough time. Some putts concentrating on length across the whole practice green, without a specific target, then some putts to a tee in the ground from short range; it's a nice small target and I don't need to fight over the other practice green holes.

I used to hit a few irons in the practice nets, but they have been out of action since the floods. I have a few swings holding two irons as a stretch routine, then try to guess if my first shot will miss left or right, or skank it down the middle.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Rubin... You are basically spot on there.. I'm sure everyone has their different version of it.. I get to the course 40 min before my tee time.. Hit a few putts then a few short game shots.. I hit about 10 wedges a few 7 irons and 2 irons.. Then driver maybe 3 times... All at no targets.. Lastly I will go back to a few eight irons with different flights and targets... Off to the tee we go

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Rock up 5 mins to tee time. Not usually par or better.

Recently I have been showing up early and it is screwing up everything.
    You are usually late...well, on OzGolf days anyway. This is also used to screw up the allotted tee groupings, and thus puts everyone on the back foot, causing great distraction which in turn means gaining an advantage on side bets for the upcoming game!!

I can see why arriving early would screw things up...'Nuts missus (or simmsy's perhaps) gets a little shirty at losing snuggle time, eh?

Thread Information